Hello

c.a.m.

Hi All,

Just thought id say hi, went to the docs a couple a weeks ago because I was drinking water, lots and lots of water, then my vision started getting blurry so I thought something might be up. He did a finger pricker thing and it came up 30 so I had to go to the local diabetes nurse that morning.

My brother was diagnosed with type 2 last year so I thought maybe that's what I had, but type 1 it is though, was strange sticking a needle in your stomach first time, took a few goes :)

Right now I'm just trying to get the diet sorted out, seems everything at the minute has sugar in, but the levels are coming down, still the odd strange spike up and down now and then.

Anyways, nice to be hear.

Craig.

lilibet

HI Craig
Welcome to the forum

You seem to be quite level headed about it all, when I was dx (T1) I think I sobbed for two days solid (whilst in hospital). :roll:

Any questions then post away. Dont want to bombard you.

I totally agree re the sugar comment, it pops up EVERYWHERE, even in places you wouldnt expect (cold meat, soup etc!). However, dont be too bogged down with sugar per se, yes its not good for any diabetic but its just part of a spectrum of Carbohydrates. Its Carbs you need to kind of watch out for. Many diabetics low carb to control bg, many dont and manage just fine so no preaching here. Personal choice comes into it but science does support it -Carbs turn to glucose in your blood, ergo raised blood sugar. Its just a matter of degree

Your meter is your best arbitrator for how you cope with this

I would say however, ANY CHANGE in diet needs to be in conjunction with a CHANGE IN MEDS so if you look at carbs, you will find you need to watch your insulin. If you are newly diagnosed then maybe do this in conjunction with a nurse until you learn more and gain confidence in it. Please be safe

(Ps expect the NHS to tell you eat all you like when diabetic, as long as you have insulin to cover it. I personally just nodded and carried on as I was in the early days, though now its been a year and a half I just tell it like it is!)

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and a very warm welcome, as said...ask as many questions as u need :D

c.a.m.

Thanks Lilibet & Totsy,

I used to need growth hormone when I was a kid, started when I was 3 and ended when I was 22 so I got through a sobbing phase quite young (don't think anybody noticed :) I was kinda hoping I was done with needles but guess not.

So how do you know how many carbs are in food? Is there information anywhere on the packaging?

My diabetes nurse was the opposite, told me to only eat portions the size of my palm, and I have small palms so that wasn't really going to happen any time soon.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
its on the packages of most foods but i bought a collins carb book, only little and cost 3.99, it tells u carbs in more or less everything which is a great idea :D keep asking the questions

c.a.m.

Cheers Totsy,

I'll keep an eye out for one of those books next time I'm in town.

I'm thinking of changing my meter and pricker from a bayer to an accu-check, you think there will be any problems getting the prescription changed or are they kinda chilled out about it?

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
ive changed mine 3 times and they are fine, u can always ask the receptionist at the drs if they supply the one u want ,i now use one touch ultra easy and like that :D