Type 2 Numbness in toes

eascusa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I saw a post somewhere in this forum that I can't find now but was talking about having some numbness in their big toe. I didn't want to post there and instead opened a new thread because I have complete numbness, not some, in most of my big toe and in half of the toe next to it. As well as between the two. I could probably stick a pin in it although I have'nt actually tried. However, it does have a strange, I guess you can say feeling, when I dig my finger nail into it like when your toes are frozen from snow or something. Like frostbite maybe. You know that stinging feeling you get in your toes when there frozen and yet there numb? It's a little like that. So, my question is, do you think this is part of my diabetes? I have type 2 diabetes and was just diagnosed like 2 years ago but my blood sugar has always been in control in the past two years. Except for the test that diagnosed me originally. And before that I got tested on a regular basis and was only pre-diabetic for a long time. So, I have,nt had like this uncontrolled diabetes for a long time to cause such problems. Or does that have nothing to do with it? I'm new to this so I don't know a whole lot about this kind of thing. In order to get neuropathy don't you have to have problems with uncontrolled diabetes?
Also, am I suppose to be getting my feet checked ever so often? I have never had them checked but I only have a regular M.D. at this point, my primary care physician. Am I suppose to be seeing a different kind of Dr.?
I don't do anything to damage them like running or exercise. I have Fibromyalgia so I am basically just walking around the house slowly or in bed. So I can't really see any thing else it could be when it comes to that. Any advise? Thank you!

Ellen

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I suffered a lot of that and then a lot of pain in my feet. Hadn't been able to move my toes for a number of years but now all is well. I was never sure if it was the diabetes or the spinal tumors. benign but very problematic. I'm convinced it was the diabetes as now I honestly feel that I'm no longer diabetic I no longer have the problem and can once again curl my toes. I no longer have diabetic eye damage either. It was only in one eye and only mild but there it was and now it's gone. I'm beginning to suspect I'm something of a diabetic miracle!

Reactions: Salvia

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @eascusa

You can self-refer to see a podiatrist to have your feet checked, however your probably best to see your Dr to diagnose the cause of your toe numbness.

Reactions: Freema

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Once a year the surgery nurse should ask you to come in for a foot check.

charlie_farley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes it is your T2 I have had this for a number of years but since I went on the LCHF diet in February this year it is slowly getting better .I have my feet checked every 6 months by my Diabetic nurse.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
@eascusa
By the use of your terminology I'm wondering if you live somewhere apart from the UK?
If yes, then the checks, and the timing of, need to be determined at a local level.
Here is this sites info http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-complications/screening-for-diabetic-complications.html
There are also, I think it's 'The 15 Checks' which I'm sure @noblehead has posted? But I can't find it.
I agree your symptoms may be diabetic neuropathy, but quite possibly another nerve compression, so it's fairly imperative your doctor makes the diagnosis.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As far as I have read, you *can* have neuropathy with just pre-diabetes (I got my first diabetes diagnosis a couple of months ago after going to the doctor with painful feet and numb toes), especially if you also have high cholesterol/ triglycerides.
I had bad neuropathy-very painful- but it's getting better now I have been working on getting my blood sugar and cholesterol back into a safe range. I also had various carpal tunnel stuff and spine/sciatic pain which I thought might be fibromyalgia, but that's getting better too-all my nerves were going haywire because of high-BG.
Your case will be different to mine, but it does sound like there are similarities- I think you should get it checked: if there is a problem with BG and you catch it now, it should be much easier to deal with. Hope it works out well for you!