Naps and hypos?

SophieOrman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
hello! Forgive me still getting use to the website

My daughter was diagnosed in June we've had the honeymoon period and we are starting to get her numbers in range 4-7. However it is gaurenteed if she has a nap during the day she will have a hypo whilst she is sleeping. If she doesn't nap she's fine and stays in range. Does anyone know why this is? I may add she's only 3 so sometimes she just sleeps in the car ect but I have to make sure I stop, treat the hypo and then go again. She never has this problem when she goes to bed at 7 is this because it is usual routine? Last night she was so tired asked to go to bed early so she went at 6 I checked her bloods were a little high if anything at 11.8. Went to do her Lantas at 7 bloods where 11 so I thought we would be safe but checked on her again at night and she was 3.1. It's only when she goes to bed early or naps. I just can't get my head round why?! Sorry for the waffling on! ☺️

Reactions: doug_j

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Does she nap at a similar time each day? Going to bed early may have just been she still had rapid insulin in her system from her tea

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm an adult but on the rare occasions I have a daytime nap, I often wake low. I have no idea why. I know others have made simialr comments in the past.

Having said that, the honeymoon period is a time of erratic sugars anyway, so it's possible that might be contributing still. I remember having random sugars for months.

It must be stressful for you. The only comfort is that at least you know this happens so can be prepared.

SophieOrman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm an adult but on the rare occasions I have a daytime nap, I often wake low. I have no idea why. I know others have made simialr comments in the past.

Having said that, the honeymoon period is a time of erratic sugars anyway, so it's possible that might be contributing still. I remember having random sugars for months.

It must be stressful for you. The only comfort is that at least you know this happens so can be prepared.

It's so strange isn't it! But like you say it's helpful that I am aware of it and can check on her. Thank you for your reply ☺️

Reactions: azure

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My experience is that I sometimes feel tired when low, so she may be going to sleep because bg is already on it's way down, so I check if tired during the day

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Reactions: azure