'Freestyle Libre' blood glucose testing machine

Alison204

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello all,

Just wondered if any of you use the Freestyle Libre reader to test your blood sugars and what your experience of it is?

I have been offered a free reader and a free sensor and I was super super excited as I've seen how cool and simple they are to use.... till I looked at the price of the individual sensors and how much it'd cost to keep using it?!?

So I'm absolutely torn about using it or not and wanted to hear what other people thought about them?

All advice appreciated! Many thanks in advance....

Alison L
Type 1 since 2007

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a very good system. You'll find loads of threads on the Libre if you use the search bar in the top right of the screen.

Running costs are around £90 per month so although not cheap, it's a very useful tool for improving BG management.

FYI, there is a smartphone app "LibreLink" which you can use instead of the reader. That'll save you a fair bit should you choose to self fund the Libre in the future.

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Librelink is only android for info... Apple won't let it use NFC, yes I use one lots they are very useful and cheaper than dex which I used to have

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Librelink is only android for info... Apple won't let it use NFC, yes I use one lots they are very useful and cheaper than dex which I used to have
I never knew that, thanks for pointing it out:)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Alison204 I've used the libre 4 times now and whenever my BG starts going astray I use it to pinpoint the reasons, it's useful for constant reassurance, the sensor isn't that big and sits under your arm, fairly comfy to wear, it's great for seeing what's happening overnight and looking for patterns, also for being able to see when you are getting too low so you can take evasive action. I would definately recommend it, however I wouldn't wear it continuously, just for giving me a heads up when I need to make adjustments.

smag3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors telling me that I probably know more than them
I have used my libre for about 18 months now and could not live without it. It is expensive but worth every penny. My control is so much better and I feel so much better because of it. I would say go for it.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I have used it but found it to be not having the same reading as my accucheck expert blood meter. 2 to 2.5 difference was the norm for me. I found they will not replace a sensor unless you have a few readings over 3 difference. I also had a lot of redness when sensor was removed.
Though the differences did get worse when I changed to this accucheck meter. Differencies seem to get more after 10 days. I have not used it in a while perhaps sensors are now better.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got one, and I love it to bits. One of the biggest things for me is that it actually encourages me to test more to keep a better eye on what is going on, and the trend graph it produces is enormously useful. It's so convenient - I've literally just scanned mine using my phone whilst walking down the road - and very, very easy to use. On one occasion, I was having a very bad hypo, and slept through two alarms, which is not like me at all, and my other half had to test me using my Accu-Chek metre, which is a bit of a challenge if, like him, you aren't good with blood!

Of course, I'm very lucky to have a generous relative funding mine, so cost isn't a consideration. However, the prices are slightly lower than quoted on the website as, in the UK at least, if you are buying it as a diabetic, you don't have to pay the VAT.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Alison204 - yes I love mine too! I bought it in February but I tend to alternate 2weeks' on 2weeks' off to save a little on cost. As others have said its really useful to see trends & to see what's happened during the night. It lags slightly behind a blood test meter reading so will vary a little. I really am impressed with it though.