ITV TONIGHT Programme on thursday 27th October 2016 - "Can Your Diet Defeat Diabetes?"

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
A more realistic documentary about type2 diabetes and obesity.

Thank you @Peter Maher for sharing your success with us! Well done.

I hope nhs nutritionists get re-trained for us type2s. Money well spent.

I learned from the programme that all type2s have fat causing their diabetes, even slim ones. True?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I'm of the low carb high fat school of doing things and I have as a good as reversed my T2.
I don't have medication can't really exercise at all and have more or less drifted into the world of not being diabetic. Meaning I'm eating more or less what the rest of the family eat now with no signs of diabetes.
I keep the sgar as near zero as possible but then always did anyhow other than cups of tea which I've always drank lots of. Just have a sweetener these days.
I wonder whether if I might never have been diabetic at all in the true sense.
My problems didn't start till I was put on Statins. After about a year can't really remember now I packed them in. My so called diabetes started becoming instantly easier to get to grips with. The high fat diet has seen my bad cholesterol levels go do down good levels up. Blood pressure medication go down too. Most of my raised fat intake is dairy and vegetable. I have to be costing the NHS the lowest possible at my surgery for diabetes. I make up for it though with my other health problems.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I thought the ITV program overall was very good. It avoided the usual low fat, low-salt nonsense and did focus on having low GI carbs rather than high GI ones. It should have mentioned that total carbs matter not that low-GI ones lower spikes. I could have done without the famous Prof Taylor. He is obsessed with calorie based diets and visceral fat in the liver and pancreas. Yes, these can be a problem and so can visceral fat all round the body including the muscle cells. He doesn't seem to realise that going for a calorie based diet you can have zero fats and loads of carbs to make up 800 calories which isn't very good. He gets too much funding from DUK I believe and doesn't run really serious comparative research trials.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I learned from the programme that all type2s have fat causing their diabetes, even slim ones. True?

No, not true.
Although it may be true for the majority.
Also, a significant % of Prof. Taylor's study subjects do not achieve reversal.

Reactions: Prem51

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
A much better slant on TD2 this time.
Lower carbs and a little fat (but not too little) go a long way, but further if you are able to excercise as well. This has been my route for the last 12 months and no longer have diabetic meds, with so much help from diabetes.co.uk. Follow this yellow brick road to better health.:joyful:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I lost a significant amount of weight controlling carbs fat and protein intake but I also kept very tight control of calorific intake it worked for me. Not for every one I know and there are draw backs as well, such as losing muscle mass along with fat but it was the only way open to me at the time.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was one downer for me in the programme. They showed courses being held and there was a quick fly on the wall moment where the educator said something like, "eating fat causes plaque build up". There was also the couple of kilograms of artificial fat on the table.

LivingLoud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Things I should
I thought the show was about the best I have seen as it talked about low carb.
What worries me is it gave the impression that all T2s need to do is push themselves through a 8 week diet and everything is cured, so stop being so idle and get on with it. I did the 8 week program, fainted twice, couldn't function, lost 15kg. It did massively improve my blood glucose but it didn't "reverse"

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I thought it was better than the BBC program on Tuesday. It got in more about the importance of improving diet, rather than bariatric surgery as the answer to T2 diabetes. It's a pity it wasn't longer than 25 minutes, and there was nothing about the higher fat advantages to a low carb diet, but at least T2 is being looked at more.
@Peter Maher Well done for putting yourself out there, you were a great example of how LCHF can control T2 (and reduce weight).:)

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whether it is officially considered it or not, I think of T2 as a spectrum condition as what works well for one person doesn't necessarily for another, particularly relating to what can be eaten 'safely' either on its own or in combination to avoid spiking. There is no single simple solution for all (low calorie diets or stomach surgery!), although I suspect there won't be (m)any that don't benefit from a low(er) carb diet. Eat to the meter and what you know about yourself.

The disappointing aspect about the programme for me was for the person who just couldn't 'stick' to the diet there was no explanation of why he felt that way. He didn't seem that enthusiastic from the beginning though.

A starvation diet is hardly new - it was advocated 100+ years ago. The evidence from way back then suggested no long term benefits over what was then the standard low carb diet but I daresay more modern research can't do any harm ...

Reactions: Indy51 and Prem51

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
The problem is the person who couldn't stick the diet didn't seem to be particularly keen on changing their eating habits in the first place. That's the first stumbling block there. Unless you are willing to change, nothing will do so. Pity really, because the other 2 were definitely more keen and had the results accordingly. Just shows its in the mindset, if we want to do things, we can, if not - forget it. Mental attitude is the key I think.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There was one downer for me in the programme. They showed courses being held and there was a quick fly on the wall moment where the educator said something like, "eating fat causes plaque build up". There was also the couple of kilograms of artificial fat on the table.
Yes. I noticed that. It's still slightly mixed messages but at least an improvement

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The problem is the person who couldn't stick the diet didn't seem to be particularly keen on changing their eating habits in the first place. That's the first stumbling block there. Unless you are willing to change, nothing will do so.
Even if one is willing to change their eating habits has some problem to solve and the risk of self sabotaging is present.

Saying that because is difficult to make a diet if one has to eat outside and then taking this for an excuse to contiune the old habit is a fallacy that makes every diet a fail....

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought it was better than the BBC program on Tuesday. It got in more about the importance of improving diet, rather than bariatric surgery as the answer to T2 diabetes. It's a pity it wasn't longer than 25 minutes, and there was nothing about the higher fat advantages to a low carb diet, but at least T2 is being looked at more.
@Peter Maher Well done for putting yourself out there, you were a great example of how LCHF can control T2 (and reduce weight).:)
It might encourage patients to challenge their HCPs on the dietary guidelines. Incidentally, just met an retired nurse on holiday who knew next to nothing at diabetes. How it that possible?

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I'm about to start an NHS diabetes prevention course (referred by my GP) (bit late as I've already reached type 2), but I asked if I could continue with the programme to see if I could improve my numbers to get to pre-diabetes, and maybe better...My induction meeting introduced me to LCHF, and although my course doesn't start till 9 November,I've been following the diabetes programme on line. I'm looking forward to seeing what November onwards holds. I might keep a little diary.

Reactions: Prem51 and ickihun

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whether it is officially considered it or not, I think of T2 as a spectrum condition as what works well for one person doesn't necessarily for another, particularly relating to what can be eaten 'safely' either on its own or in combination to avoid spiking. There is no single simple solution for all (low calorie diets or stomach surgery!), although I suspect there won't be (m)any that don't benefit from a low(er) carb diet. Eat to the meter and what you know about yourself.

The disappointing aspect about the programme for me was for the person who just couldn't 'stick' to the diet there was no explanation of why he felt that way. He didn't seem that enthusiastic from the beginning though.

A starvation diet is hardly new - it was advocated 100+ years ago. The evidence from way back then suggested no long term benefits over what was then the standard low carb diet but I daresay more modern research can't do any harm ...

I agree about the man who gave up on the diet, To use the reason that it was difficult to manage in the evenings seemed a bit feeble. Anything worth trying should be approached with a positive mental attitude. He didn't seem to have this from the start. Granddaughter's 6th birthday party, Hmmm. Who was the child? Leave the cake alone...:meh:

frenchlady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Interesting in the mail today.. article stating that GPs are too afraid of upsetting patients than to tell them to lose weight or go on a referral scheme to weightwatchers.

So they don't mind sending for bariatric surgery though??

Something isn't right in our world that GPs should be scared of telling someone they are over weight.

I'm not saying overweight/diabetes are causes or caused by one or vice versa..

Just seeing the comment ref bariatric surgery made me think of GPs being scared.

I am also asking my GP Practice Manager tonight how many patients our GPs have referred for weight or exercise management.

frenchlady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How can a doctor who is obese himself, then go on to advise a patient to lose weight? If you can answer me that, I will pass it on to our 'Senior' GP in our practice.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I agree about the man who gave up on the diet, To use the reason that it was difficult to manage in the evenings seemed a bit feeble. Anything worth trying should be approached with a positive mental attitude. He didn't seem to have this from the start. Granddaughter's 6th birthday party, Hmmm. Who was the child? Leave the cake alone...:meh:
No one was forcing him to eat the cake ....! And no one said he couldn't occasionally indulge. It's about a balance and personal choices - if you want to do something about it, you can. Lord knows, I'd love to give in and have cake - the extent of mine has been the occasional rich tea biscuit for the last 9 weeks. :( I'll always have a sweet tooth but I now know that it has to be controlled.:arghh: