Type 2 On insulin: A little bit confused about bread?

Keith9534

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I`ve read a lot about how bread is bad for diabetics, but have been left confused.

We usually have normal white bread but have got some multi-grain bread.

Looking at the labels it doesn`t appear to be any better than normal white....or have I missed something?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It depends on the individual @Keith9534

If you're following a low carb diet, then you need to look at the carbs in the bread obviously, but if you're able to fit bread into your daily carb amount then you may find that some breads cause less of a spike in blood sugars than others.

You can use your meter to test two hours after the start of your meal to see what your blood sugar is.

Reactions: Keith9534

Keith9534

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I`m not following a low carb diet as such, but am looking for things which I`m now under-standing to be detrimental to my blood sugars.

Reactions: Freema

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
All flour based bread is not too good depending on how you tolerate it.
Apparently there are low carb breads that some diabetics can tolerate.
Then there are lidl protein rolls.
But basically anything that has major grains in it will be over 70% carbs, which is too much for any diabetic.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I`m not following a low carb diet as such, but am looking for things which I`m now under-standing to be detrimental to my blood sugars.

@Keith9534 Ok :) Well, in that case use your meter to see how your body copes with different foods. It's known as Eat To Your Meter :)

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
All flour based bread is not too good depending on how you tolerate it.
Apparently there are low carb breads that some diabetics can tolerate.
Then there are lidl protein rolls.
But basically anything that has major grains in it will be over 70% carbs, which is too much for any diabetic.

That's a very sweeping statement and I disagree - I have a sandwich for lunch everyday and can manage the spike by timing my insulin.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat LivLife bread. It's 3.8g carbs per slice - regular bread is often 17/20g. It tastes just like regular bread - the slices are smaller and rather thick but I can make nice bacon butties with it and not feel I've given up bread.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have Hovis Seeded Sensations bread (in the orange packet) which is 13 carbs per slice and, through testing, I know that I can have about 11/2 slices at a time.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry should have said that Iv`e just gone onto insulin this week

If you're on fixed doses of insulin then you'll need to stick to similar levels of carbs each day. If in any doubt, check with your DSN.

I don't like to,see certain foods demonised. We are all different. Try various breads and other carbs as you need/decide and see what suits you :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That's a very sweeping statement and I disagree - I have a sandwich for lunch everyday and can manage the spike by timing my insulin.
Sorry!
I was unaware of his insulin injections!
However, he is T2, and most T2 diabetics should be very wary of grain products especially bread.

You know, if you can find a lower GI bread, you may not have to use so much insulin, just an observation!
Best wishes.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No problem @Lamont D Keith has only just mentioned the insulin :)

Can you explain a little more about your comment on grains and Type 2s? I'm sure the OP and others would be interested to see any links you have and to know more :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No problem @Lamont D Keith has only just mentioned the insulin :)

Can you explain a little more about your comment on grains and Type 2s? I'm sure the OP and others would be interested to see any links you have and to know more :)

No links! Not that tech minded!

But through my experience and my wife, who has a grain tolerance herself, like me and Type two. And everything I've learned, grains are usually one of the main culprits to cause spikes in T2 diabetics. Probably in all metabolic conditions!
Bread being a so called healthy staple food is processed flour and the amount of carbs is very high per 100gms. If you have to carb count, one slice of processed white bread sold in most shops is more than enough for a whole day's worth.
Flour turns to glucose very rapidly, and that causes a quicker spike than someone who has normal blood glucose levels. For a diabetic that is to be avoided.
A person without diabetes is able to offset a high carb meal because the amount of insulin resistance is low and the glucose/insulin balance triggered by the meal can return your blood glucose levels to normal.
A person with diabetes, especially a newly diagnosed diabetic, has insulin resistance and high levels of glucose and could have high levels of insulin already in their blood, so the quick spike is like adding petrol to a fire. It will sharply raise blood glucose levels. Which is really not recommended. Fluctuating levels, up and down leads to complications of diabetes. Being in control near normal levels without fluctuations is what every diabetic should be attaining.
Carbs are the diabetics nemesis along with sugar.
So avoidance is recommended.
That's why the forum recommends LCHF!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for,that @Lamont D :) No need for links if you can explain, as you have done.

Yes, bread and flour products do cause spikes for some people with diabetes, but others can tolerate them ok, and, for example, find potatoes or bananas or whatever spike them faster.We're all different :)

An average slice of processed white bread is around 18g carbs depending on brand. As the OP has just started on insulin he'll have to eat sufficient carbs according to,his set doses, at least initially, so these early days will be an information-gathering exercise as much as anything.

The forum promotes the LC diet but would emphasise that people on insulin should talk to their DSN before cutting carbs.and it is important to stress that all out welcome here and that we eat a variety of diets, depending on our needs, our lifestyle and our preferences :)