Type 2 stable now bad diarrhea Help!

Schtompa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
I've been on 1x500mg metformin tablet a day since June. Started fine but have recently had 2 x10 day bouts of diahorrea.
I've lost 2 1/2 stone in that time and been a lot more active. My bloods have dropped from 66mmol to 41mmol
Any suggestions what's going on or why I'm having these bouts?

Reactions: SWUSA_

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay that weightloss is extremely fast and your Numbers are like a prediabetic Maybe you should see you GP and ask if metformin is too much for you if you could solve your diabetes with diet alone .Are you happy for your weightloss or are you worried ? Metformin can cause these problems with diahrea if you get the extended version it Will maybe help But I am NOT sure

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

Loosing 16 Kilos like that while you have / had those bouts of diarrhea is not really good. You would have dehydrated very badly in that time.

I don't know why your bloods went like they did sorry.

Reactions: Freema

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Hi,
I've been on 1x500mg metformin tablet a day since June. Started fine but have recently had 2 x10 day bouts of diahorrea.
I've lost 2 1/2 stone in that time and been a lot more active. My bloods have dropped from 66mmol to 41mmol
Any suggestions what's going on or why I'm having these bouts?
I would see your doctor and I agree with the posts above. Be sure to stay hydrated meanwhile and note if any certain foods or activities are triggering the bout. Fiber may help stabilize you but there are usually carbs in foods or supplements with fiber so be sure to count them in your total carb counts. Also "diabetic" sweeteners cause diarrhea (I'm American-we spell it like that) in some people, myself included. Hope that helps and make that doctor's appointment!

Schtompa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had a lot of weight to lose and still more to go. I changed my lifestyle overnight so not too concerned by that. I'm more worried by the recent bouts. I hope it's because I don't need the metformin anymore. I'll try to see the doc ASAP though. Thanks

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a lot of weight to lose and still more to go. I changed my lifestyle overnight so not too concerned by that. I'm more worried by the recent bouts. I hope it's because I don't need the metformin anymore. I'll try to see the doc ASAP though. Thanks
I never really had the problem with Metformin that people usually have except for the first few days. Does anyone know if normal carbs causes the diarrhoea more than restricted carbs?