Low carb potatoes

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A friend in Australia has just told me about low carb potatoes that they can get over there. They are called Carisma potatoes and are about half the carbs of regular potatoes. I googled them and found an article from 2013 that said the company in Australia was in talks with Tesco about distributing them in the UK. I can't find anything about buying them here though. Ideally I would like to be able to grow my own, but would be happy to buy them. I have e-mailed Tesco to see if there is any hope of getting them. Has anyone here heard anything about them? I heard mention of Nicola and Nadine potatoes being lower carb too, but I don't know anything about them. If more people could e-mail Tesco about them we might get them.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How low carb are they? A while back @Sid Bonkers posted about a variety in UK called Vivaldi (available from Sainsbury's when I last looked) which were lower carb than some.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In Oz they seem to be marketing them as more Low GI than low carb. Looks like they may be about 10g of carb per 100g although I can't seem to find any detailed info yet. @Indy51 do supermarkets in Australia not publish nutritional info on their websites? I was checking on the coles.com.au to see the nutritional info for the carisma potato but they didn't seem to list anything.

Last edited:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is some nutritional information here:

http://www.carismapotatoes.com.au/?p=tf&s=2

I note on other pages on that site they mention that the cooking method will affect the GI.

I've never tried Charisma, but I do find sweet potatoes give me less of a spike than normal potatoes (I'm Type 1)

Edited to add that it's not clear if that info is raw or cooked weight

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How low carb are they? A while back @Sid Bonkers posted about a variety in UK called Vivaldi (available from Sainsbury's when I last looked) which were lower carb than some.

Per 100g of potato Vivaldi has 22g of carbs per the JS website. How big would a baked pot be? Maybe 150/200g?

Probably too much carbs, a shame as this variety was always my absolute favourite for a baked potato - really tasty variety

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Per 100g of potato Vivaldi has 22g of carbs per the JS website. How big would a baked pot be? Maybe 150/200g?

Probably too much carbs, a shame as this variety was always my absolute favourite for a baked potato - really tasty variety
Found some info on a web site. As we can see in the table above the carisma potatoes contain about half of the calories that white and sweet potatoes have. The reason for that is their low amount of carbohydrates (9 grams). Their glycemic index (if prepared appropriately) is 53 so it is very low. According to carismapotatoes.com.au:

Reactions: Prem51

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Found some info on a web site. As we can see in the table above the carisma potatoes contain about half of the calories that white and sweet potatoes have. The reason for that is their low amount of carbohydrates (9 grams). Their glycemic index (if prepared appropriately) is 53 so it is very low. According to carismapotatoes.com.au:

Guess like everything you are never going to know until you eat and test .......

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had a reply from Tesco already saying they will pass on my e-mail to their buying department and get back to me. Will keep you posted.

Reactions: Prem51

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ha ha! Yes, do that. I did do roasted cauliflower one day with a roast and have to say it was a lot nicer than the roast celeriac (or "Celery Yak" as my local Turkish supermarket calls it!). It's still not a potato though.

S

Shar67

Nicola potatoes have 16g per 100g cooked. You can seed potatos from suttons online

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am an Aussie and have a pack of Carisma potatoes here, they are 9gm carbs per 100gm

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am an Aussie and have a pack of Carisma potatoes here, they are 9gm carbs per 100gm
My friend in Australia is friendly with the guy who developed these Carisma potatoes. Her husband seems to think that they can only be grown in Australia, but they are going to see the guy soon and ask him about the possibility of getting some over here.

Reactions: Higaomo

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I still have a baked spud with lots of tuna and cheese for lunch once in a while they were always my lunchtime standby and so low carb potatoes would be wonderful and I could have them more often.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
My friend in Australia is friendly with the guy who developed these Carisma potatoes. Her husband seems to think that they can only be grown in Australia, but they are going to see the guy soon and ask him about the possibility of getting some over here.
It's not so much they can only be grown in Australia, its just they have not been grown anywhere else! They started life in the Netherlands and have landed in Canada, but don't seem to have been grown in the UK or the EU. Must get my dad looking into this - he being an avid grower of all things (particularly foodstuffs!). He'd definitely be interested.