Metformin and CT scan

Sweet enough

Anyone had advice regarding Metformin and having a CT scan?
I have googled but prefer it from experience rather than chinese whispers!
My Dr hasn't mentioned it but I do know there are some contradictions.
Thanks

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
use of iodine-containing X-ray contrast media

If you need to use the above then you have to stop the Metformin. Please ask your doctor or the hospital if iodine containing X ray contrast media will be required for your particular type of scan.

Sweet enough

CarbsRok said:
Google search shows plenty of info regarding not taking the MET. If in any doubt ring the hospital where the scan is taking place.
Did you not recieve detailed instructions as what not to do and or do in preperation for the scan?

As I said I have googled but was hoping for the horses mouth so to speak but thanks.

No. no instructions from anybody, I had a kidney removed in 08 due to cancer, and need 6 monthly scans. The Dr knows obviously knows all about the cancer but hasnt mentioned anything about stopping Metformin for the scan. The problem with ringing hospitals is that you don't know which "expert" is telling you what to do, could be the secretary , could be the cleaner :mrgreen:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Did you not have a letter giving you the appointment times and details from the Hospital ? I have had many scans of all kinds due to Cancer. I was always given details of the Dept and the name of a responsible person to contact with any questions.' They are definitely the best people to contact about this to make sure you do the right thing.

I was never told to stop Met for normal scans......only when a contrast dye was to be injected.

Ken

Sweet enough

cugila said:
Did you not have a letter giving you the appointment times and details from the Hospital ? I have had many scans of all kinds due to Cancer. I was always given details of the Dept and the name of a responsible person to contact with any questions.' They are definitely the best people to contact about this to make sure you do the right thing.

I was never told to stop Met for normal scans......only when a contrast dye was to be injected.

Ken

Hi Ken.
Yes I have a contrast dye injected into my hand just before the scan. I have no information or advice whatsever about the metformin and CT scan.
I will contact the CT dept in the hospital and speak to someone who knows.

louiseb

I had a Ct scan a few weeks ago for kidney stones and needed an injection of contrast dye and it said on the instructions that came with the appointment letter that if you diabetic taling metformin stop them the day before the scan you should phone the hopsital or phone your gp just to make sure.