Diabetic 'sweet' products

Tom R

Having recently moved house from Spain, where we could buy a whole range of 'sweet' products, including jams, biscuits and chocolate (all sugar free) suitable for diabetics in most supermarkets, I have found it impossible to find any sugar free products for sale. :?
One of the best supermarkets for these products wa Lidl, but when you ask in UK, you are met with the comment "there's no call for it here!" :!:
Well, I would like to "call" for some and I would think that I am not alone.
So, if these products are availlable, could someone let me know.
Thanks.
Incidentally, the sugar free products are no more expensive than their sugar equivalents. :D
Tom

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Tom,

Why don't you search Lidl website for store locations to see if there is a store nearer to where you are living?

Lidl do have stores in the north where I live, but I'll admit that I don't buy the sugar-free products, but the food is very cheap and of a good quality.

Nigel

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Thank DUK and the medical EStablishment, who have strongly DISCOURAGED the use of such foods.
Hana
PS my local LIDL had "Light" jam last week

jopar

There are many food producets avaiable in supermarkets that are sugar free alternitives, jellies, custards etc, even sweets then you get a range of 'reduce sugar' products such as Jams, even baked beans...

High street chemists still sale products that are labled 'diabetic' which will cost you a small fourtune to purchase, will contine large amounts of sorbitol, so can have laxitive effect in a small quanity.. And similar and more bowl friendly products can be found at the local supermarket, after all diabetic Jam is the same as 'reduced sugar' jam found on the supermarket shelve...

As to laying the blame at the DUK to why, when this is a personal opinion thing... You find those that suggest and lay this blame at their door, well constantly blame them for everything and anything constantly bashing any advice they offer all based on that DUK doesn't sing their personlised hymn sheet..

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!
Yes, you could try Chemists, also most supermarkets have some low-sugar versions,eg jam, baked beans, but they tend to be with the normal stuff, rather than together.
I buy stuff online from http://www.sugarfreesuperstore.co.uk, who have quite a wide range, there is also the low-carb megastore, but haven't tried them.

jopar

how much :shock:

Taking advantage also springs to mind..

Look around the supermarket and save a fortune me thinks

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
There always seems to be a funny after-taste associated with 'diabetic' foods so I would rather have a little less of the real McCoy. :)

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
jopar said:
As to laying the blame at the DUK to why, when this is a personal opinion thing... You find those that suggest and lay this blame at their door, well constantly blame them for everything and anything constantly bashing any advice they offer all based on that DUK doesn't sing their personlised hymn sheet..

I don't think this advice from DUK belongs on any diabetics personal hymn sheet especially a T2.

Note "all breakfast cereals are fine" :(

Breakfast cereals
All breakfast cereals are fine. More filling choices, like porridge and All-Bran or fruit and fibre, will see you through the morning. Add semi-skimmed or skimmed milk, and try adding fruit to notch up a portion towards your five-a-day target early in the day. You can use any fruit and it can be fresh, frozen, stewed, canned or dried.

Bread, muffins and crumpets
Bread, toast, bread muffins and crumpets are good alternatives to cereal. All are fine but wholegrain and granary versions are better for making you feel fuller for longer. Choose a low fat spread or one based on monounsaturated fat. Ordinary jams and marmalades or reduced sugar versions are okay too.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-dia ... Breakfast/

Graham

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
Ebay have a good selection some of the online sweetie shops also have some stuff

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Please don't do Thorntons diabetic chocolates, I had one small bar of their diabetic fudge bar and spent the best part of an hour running up and down to the loo :oops:

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!
.. well, a little goes a long way, especially if you don't want to spend the day on the loo! :lol:

I know I should eat healthy nuts & berries (and I do, honest!), but sometimes, just sometimes, you just need something really sweet.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Hana said:
Thank DUK and the medical EStablishment, who have strongly DISCOURAGED the use of such foods.

jopar wrote: As to laying the blame at the DUK to why, when this is a personal opinion thing... You find those that suggest and lay this blame at their door, well constantly blame them for everything and anything constantly bashing any advice they offer all based on that DUK doesn't sing their personlised hymn sheet..

Hana is not blaming DUK but is grateful to DUK for a very sensible approach to such non-foods. I've met her at DUK, contributing to a 'Diabetes self-management' conference. However, like many of us here, she has learned that their diet recommendations should be challenged.