Hypo's in school

Annielee

Hello

Has anyone got any advice on hypos in school. My little girl got dignosed a year ago at the age of 4 she is now 5 and In year 1. my daughter had quite slot of hypos the last week of term - I was making changes to her insulin to try and stop them, but she had been playing tag at all the breaks. The last hypo she had at school on Friday she apparently shouted at the teacher. She then got told off whilst having her hypo treatment and then started to cry and got reallly upset. She did apologise whilst having hypo treatment but this wasn't excepted and she was told to go and do something nice to make up for it. My daughter is a very sensitive little girl so she went and made sorry cards for the two teachers that were involved. I appreciate that schools have a lot to take on looking after a diabetic child but surely this can't be right when they are having a hypo??

Annie

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sounds like the teacher needs some education about hypos, I'd be furious if they had done this to my daughter! Maybe ask the diabetes support nurse to have a word with the school?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

Has anyone got any advice on hypos in school. My little girl got dignosed a year ago at the age of 4 she is now 5 and In year 1. my daughter had quite slot of hypos the last week of term - I was making changes to her insulin to try and stop them, but she had been playing tag at all the breaks. The last hypo she had at school on Friday she apparently shouted at the teacher. She then got told off whilst having her hypo treatment and then started to cry and got reallly upset. She did apologise whilst having hypo treatment but this wasn't excepted and she was told to go and do something nice to make up for it. My daughter is a very sensitive little girl so she went and made sorry cards for the two teachers that were involved. I appreciate that schools have a lot to take on looking after a diabetic child but surely this can't be right when they are having a hypo??

Annie
Hello Annie, I'm sorry to hear about this.

Even adults act irrationally when having low BG, and in some cases - this can be quite extreme. I think it would be a good idea for the staff at your daughter's school to become more familiar with diabetes in children. There should be some sort of diabetes awareness courses that can be conducted in order to make them aware of how to properly deal with situations like you've mentioned.

Just for reference, here's an example of what can be offered where I live. Of course, it'll be of no use to you unless you live in my county, but there should be a similar sort of framework nationwide:

http://www.moray.gov.uk/moray_standard/page_42795.html

Regards,
Grant

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would also be furious, have been there and done that as a child, there is nothing worse.

Annielee

Sounds like the teacher needs some education about hypos, I'd be furious if they had done this to my daughter! Maybe ask the diabetes support nurse to have a word with the school?
I have a meeting with the council and my daughters nurse after half term, but if I am being honest I don't feel like I get much support from my daughters nurse and quite often get contradictory advice. Thank you for your comment it's reassuring to know that other people would be cross by this.

Annie

Annielee

Hello

Thank you for your comment and I will have a look at the advice on the link.

Annie

Hello Annie, I'm sorry to hear about this.

Even adults act irrationally when having low BG, and in some cases - this can be quite extreme. I think it would be a good idea for the staff at your daughter's school to become more familiar with diabetes in children. There should be some sort of diabetes awareness courses that can be conducted in order to make them aware of how to properly deal with situations like you've mentioned.

Just for reference, here's an example of what can be offered where I live. Of course, it'll be of no use to you unless you live in my county, but there should be a similar sort of framework nationwide:

http://www.moray.gov.uk/moray_standard/page_42795.html

Regards,
Grant

Reactions: SWUSA_

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Your poor daughter..yes mine has been having awful hypos after lunch due to honeymoon peroid and one day got down to 1.9, couldnt walk and called the deputy head a rude name. They accepted that it was the hypo and no more was said about it but the office staff "float" past her a couple of times in afternoon school and quietly scan her now (wears a libre) and try to catch it earlier. She has a small biscuit before pe such as tag rugby as that seemed to b the cause before. Caroline x

Reactions: SWUSA_

Annielee

Your poor daughter..yes mine has been having awful hypos after lunch due to honeymoon peroid and one day got down to 1.9, couldnt walk and called the deputy head a rude name. They accepted that it was the hypo and no more was said about it but the office staff "float" past her a couple of times in afternoon school and quietly scan her now (wears a libre) and try to catch it earlier. She has a small biscuit before pe such as tag rugby as that seemed to b the cause before. Caroline x
Thanks for your response
Did the deputy head say anything to your daughter? My daughter hasn't done this before at school but has at home. I just see it as a symptom of the hypo and ignore. This was one of my (many) fears when my daughter got diagnosed. It's really hard thinking about them being told off when you know who a hypo effects them

Annielee

If I were you, I'd go into school and amend her care plan so it states that during a hypo, she may shout out randomly and that the teachers are not to punish this as it is NOT bad behaviour but another symptom of her hypo.
Thank you for your response. I have a meeting with school on Tuesday that they have called with some concerns. I feel like it's been hung over me all half term. I am going to change care plan I have actually written the care plan as school kept getting the hypo treatment part wrong which got very confusing. In the symptoms on there I did include any change in behaviour but it probably does need describing better.

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No as the sugar started to work and she stopped hallucinating she realised that she has been rude to her and said "miss x i.m SO sorry" the deputy head said ' i.ve heard all sorts in my teaching career dont worry about it" and that was that - although it was all repeated to me at home time! I apologised again and phoned the diabetic nurse the next day and she put in extea carbs at 2pm so the school felt that it had been sorted. Yr daughter however is much younger and may not have realised she was shouting at a teacher unlike hannah. It happened to me the following saturday in asda and it is frghtening - i was trying to take her hand to get her to the cafe for some food and she was screaming at me ! Everyone was looking - 5minutes later she was nice as pie. X

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for my response - I feel reassured that others would be furious too. Did this happen to you often when you were at school?

I know I fell off my chair a few times in infant class and was sat back on the chair to promptly fall off again. I was generally very good at school but when bg low I struggle to follow tasks and that got me in trouble a few times before anyone realised why.

iHs

When I was at school, I needed to eat a small snack mid morning mid afternoon. Most of my lessons were 1hr long so eating a snack between lessons wasn't a problem until some of my lessons lasted 2hrs so needed to eat something during the lesson. One day.....had a 2hr maths lesson and the teacher taking it flatly refused to let me eat an apple and confiscated it so I resorted to hope that I would be ok but realised I wasn't so started to eat some glucose tabs. The maths teacher promptly took them off me with a good telling off. I then went really low and fell asleep at my desk. The maths teacher couldn't wake me and realised that although I told him that I was diabetic, this was an illness that needed to be taken a bit more seriously. The 2hr lesson was cut short at 1.5hrs and the other kids loved it as they could leave. Headmistress was called who came to my rescue with some lucozade and table sugar and got me to slowly wake up again. Maths teacher got a lecture needless to say.

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When I was at school, I needed to eat a small snack mid morning mid afternoon. Most of my lessons were 1hr long so eating a snack between lessons wasn't a problem until some of my lessons lasted 2hrs so needed to eat something during the lesson. One day.....had a 2hr maths lesson and the teacher taking it flatly refused to let me eat an apple and confiscated it so I resorted to hope that I would be ok but realised I wasn't so started to eat some glucose tabs. The maths teacher promptly took them off me with a good telling off. I then went really low and fell asleep at my desk. The maths teacher couldn't wake me and realised that although I told him that I was diabetic, this was an illness that needed to be taken a bit more seriously. The 2hr lesson was cut short at 1.5hrs and the other kids loved it as they could leave. Headmistress was called who came to my rescue with some lucozade and table sugar and got me to slowly wake up again. Maths teacher got a lecture needless to say.
Oh my god that's awful!