Skin tags and diabetes

Dippy3103

I have developed a few skin tags near my eyes. Not a medical issue I know. But I hate them and have been looking into having them whipped off. I read somewhere that type 2 increases the liklihood of skin tags and was wondering if this was anyone elses experiance? Also, has anyone else had tags removed? Did it hurt? How were they removed?
As they are so close to my eyes I will not try myself, and as it's cosmetic I can't see the NHS removing them, so any advice as to where to try would be very welcome.
Sorry, that's a lot of questions about silly little bits of skin!

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
I know of a very good beauty salon in our nearest big town which deals with these kind of things so I suggest that you look for one near you. Ask for a consultation and check out the qualifications as they usually have certificates on display stating what they are awarded for. Consultations are normally free of charge and you will find out everything you need to know.

I would be very surpised if it was painful as I doubt that they would get many takers if the word got out that it was a horrible experience! :) :roll:

louiseb

my sister had skin tags removed on the NHS as they were also on her eyes so they disrupted her vision so able to have them removed for this reason. not sure she how she had them rmoved didnt ask her the details.
she is also type 2 not sure if diabetes increases your chance of developing them.
I would go your gp and ask the about removing them.
all the best Louise

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before I was diagnosed I had a few skin tags around the nape of my neck - they went on their own - didn't associate them with Daibetes at the time- but did read an article in the surgery mag about PCOS and all the things that you get along with that (I have had PCOS for almost 30 yrs)

along with a high risk of diabetes T2 came a lot of other things that often run along with diabetes - skin tags was one of them so its possible it could be diabetes related - who knows - it seems once you have diabetes anything and everything you get is "because you are diabetic" :?

brianb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dont know if they are related to type 2 or not but i have had several over the last few years.

Had them on my waist so kept getting irritated by my belt. Inner thigh and armpit :oops:

Had them all removed at my doctors. Little bit local anesthetic and then they were simply cut off NO pain at all other than the injection which really hurt a LOT less than a finger prick so dont worry about getting them removed.

Brian

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I have them often and heard they were related to diabetes - I am type 2. I just cut them off myself - it doesn't hurt if you don't touch the skin too low at their root although they sometimes bleed. But I wouldn't advise you to touch any around your eyes yourself. Except I did cut one off in my eye socket above the eyelid. It healed beautifully and there is no mark now. But don't do it if you have problems with skin healing.

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
I had a few of these years before I was diagnosed as T2 so I dont think they were diabetes related. Anyhow my Dr simply zapped them with some frozen nitrogen (I think it was) and in about a week or 2 they disintegrated and never returned. I'm sure your own Dr can sort it for you if you go to see him/her.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Dippy,

These are common in people with or without diabetes. I had them under my arms prior to diabetes, and still get them occasionally now. In time they do disperse on their own, but as others have stated, your gp can assist with their removal.

Nigel

Dippy3103

Thanks for all the replies. I will show them to my gp next week when I see her to make sure they are skin tags! Think i will pay to have to pay to have them removed though. My local pct can't even stretch to test strips for the likes of me!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have removed skin tags mysel fperfectly safely and no more have appeared. All you need to do is to tie a pice of thread round them tight and cover with a sticking plaste r. After a few days remove the plaster and off comes the tag too.
Might be a bit tricky around the eye. Getting someone you trust to do the tieing for you might be the answerr.
Hana