Do I need DSN to change a dose?

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As it's Sunday the DSN phone isn't on and I'd have to phone the hospital ward for advice, LO has had hypos after midnight last 2 nights, her bedtime levemir dose is 2.5. Can I just give 2 tonight and call the nurse tomorrow or will I be in trouble?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your DSN shouldn't be someone to tell you off - they should be supporting you to make the adjustments yourself.

You should never feel like you are in trouble with the DSN and if you do they are managing the relationship wrong.

You have spotted a problem with night time hypos. The priority in diabetic management should be avoiding nighttime hypos. You have come up with a reasonable, sensible plan to make adjustments with the aim of avoiding hypos. I cannot see any reason why you would get in trouble for implementing your plan.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You are spotting a problem
And thinking way around it. DSN should applaud you for doing this. Not tell you off.

I always have to alter my doses around clock changes every...my body seems to think it should alter too!!

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Your DSN shouldn't be someone to tell you off - they should be supporting you to make the adjustments yourself.

You should never feel like you are in trouble with the DSN and if you do they are managing the relationship wrong.

You have spotted a problem with night time hypos. The priority in diabetic management should be avoiding nighttime hypos. You have come up with a reasonable, sensible plan to make adjustments with the aim of avoiding hypos. I cannot see any reason why you would get in trouble for implementing your plan.
Thank you I just didn't know if I was allowed to do adjustments myself or they had to okay it. It's a simple problem and solution after all that's the only reason I'm confident enough to do it!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@shivles you're already a "dab hand" at bolusing & correction doses.
Tweaking the basal is no different.

I'd hate to see you lose confidence in the kids D management.. No one else will put the time in! ;)

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@shivles you're already a "dab hand" at bolusing & correction doses.
Tweaking the basal is no different.

I'd hate to see you lose confidence in the kids D management.. No one else will put the time in! ;)
Thank you, I've just never changed anything before checking it's okay, I wasn't sure I was allowed!