Excellent result!

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nhs. religion for the sake of it.
Hi everyone! I have some excellent news! I went to my review this morning (I'm type 2) and my hbac1 has come down from 94 to 40 since diagnosis on July 12 this yr 2016! Im so happy! This is with a lchf diet and i have gone from 12,3 down to 10.6 this morning! I'm so happy!
But there is a slight negative and I can't understand it perhaps someone on here can. My cholesterol last time was 5.4 but it has risen to 5.9 and my good cholesterol has gone down. I don't know why. Any help please. Overall I'm very happy.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done!!! That has taken some hard work and self discipline, so you should definitely be celebrating :)

Re the cholesterol, this often rises temporarily when we lose weight, due to the body fat we are breaking down. The advice is to wait for several months AFTER the weight loss has halted, and see if you have still got raised cholesterol.

Having said that, we do get people on here who get somewhat raised cholesterol on lchf. There is a lot of recent evidence and debate on whether or not this is a bad thing, but some people choose to switch to fewer saturated fats and more monounsaturated fats (e.g. Olive oil) to see if that helps their ratios.

Hope that helps. :)

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Excellent BS reduction @paganlass, well done! :)
My overall cholesterol level also went up (from 4.7 to 6.1). But the ratios of HDL/LDL/triglycerides are more important apparently. @Brunneria posted a link to this calculator where you can enter your cholesterol figures and get your ratios:
http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks prem51 I've just calculated my results and I'm either optimal,or borderline. Either way it's not to bad. Brunneria I already do only eat olive oil or coconut oil? I will wait as u said and see wat it is in a few months. They wanted to put me on stations but I said no thanks I will work on it. I can't stop smiling. Thanks for the kind words and help.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks prem51 I've just calculated my results and I'm either optimal,or borderline. Either way it's not to bad. Brunneria I already do only eat olive oil or coconut oil? I will wait as u said and see wat it is in a few months. They wanted to put me on stations but I said no thanks I will work on it. I can't stop smiling. Thanks for the kind words and help.
Good for you and very well done on your HbA1c.. dead impressed.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Statins ?
I stopped taking statins in June. When I saw my GP she was concerned about my overall cholesterol level, but I pointed out that my ratios had improved. She suggested that I should try to lower my total figure by reducing cream and cheese and increasing avocadoes and oily fish.
My HDL had increased from 1.2 (High Risk) last year to 1.6 (Optimal) this year which is probably due to more cream and cheese, so I'm not convinced about that, but I am eating more avocadoes and fish too now.
She suggested another bloods test in 6 months to see how it was going.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if one eats a very narrow palet of foods like very much bacon and whole eggs and egg yolks , one can get raised blood cholesterol only from that... but that is like 8-10 whole eggs a week and very much bacon... not all can eat that much, without getting raised cholesterol...

I think eating more egg whites only, fatty fish, nuts especially walnuts ( because of their high levels of omega 3 ) and avocado is an excellent suggestion...

coconuts have some very special shorty fattyacids that maybe are more benificial than earlier thought, and can maybe even help peolpe not getting dementia..or alzheimers.. it is not really proven yet in larger scientific studies ...but one could start to eat some of ones fats from coconut-oil or like I prefer eating fresh coconut meat..which also is filled with good fibres

Last edited:

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Indy 51. And free a. I do eat at dairy , full fat greek yoghurt and cheese and single and double cream. Before i was diagnosed i rarely ate bacon but now i eat around 4 slices a week I'm wondering if its that and my increased dairy. As I ate no dairy before. I only eat good fats avocados coconut oil and olive oil and i eat salmon but not as often as I probably should. I went to a diabetes awareness class this morning and they told me something i didnt know , bacon is highly processed ! I honestly thought it was just sliced off the pig and packaged. No more bacon for me! But overall I'm really happy.

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. That's really great news. My hba1c went from 6.5% to 4.9% and I have the same problem as you in that my overall cholesterol went up a little with good cholesterol down... I eat lchf including Greek yogurt and cream but not much butter or cheese. I use olive oil, eat lots of salmon and nuts but cannot get myself to like avocados. I am just going to wait and see for my numbers in january. I am still losing weight just not as quickly as before.

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poppypetal. Hi! I eat more cheese than I used to and bacon. Wondering if my higher cholesterol is that. But my liver has gone back to normal so im not sure? Quite confusing colesterol isn't it? X