Alpha Lipoic Acid

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have recently heard about alpha lipoic acid, had a look on Google and as usual I just get information overload ( small brain capacity :) ).
Best source of information for me is straight from the horse's mouth/ people who actually know.
So basically just like to know
1 . Is there anyone taking ala as a supplement.
2 . Does it help/ give results.
3 . As a supplement what is ala used for.
Info so far suggests ala can help with insulin resistance and nervous system but REAL info is what I prefer.
Thanks for any feedback.:):)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I take it :)
One thing I noticed was I needed slightly less insulin.
It's often used for the first signs of neuropathy, I think, as it's been mentioned in a thread on here, but I understand some people take it for a number of reasons so that's not it's only use.

I also take B vits like Benfotiamine, and a few other supplements, including Vit D, so hard to tell which of those helps : D

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @azure . Thanks for the reply. Wasn't aware of ala. Ignorance is bliss.
May use my H and B bonus points and give it a try.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was taking r-ala 80% which was about £16 for 60 tablets of 100mg. I was advised to use 3 a day so worked out expensive. So due to 6wks holiday costs I suspended its purchase. Yes it reduced my insulin need by a third. I advise it to type 2 insulin users.
Apparently Germany prescribes it with insulin for insulin users but nhs doesnt.
I have noticed tingerling toes since suspending it's use. :(

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've taken it in big doses for 6 months, as is licensed for peripheral neuropathy in Germany (and they usually get things right). I take 600mg twice a day. There has been a definite reduction in tingling/numbness in my hands and toes. Obviously this could be because my diabetic control is better since on LCHF diet. I am also taking a lot of other supplements, including other antioxidants, but I am convinced the ALA is helping.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take it as a neuropathy preventative. I figure prevention is better than a cure, and who knows what invisible damage I did before I went really low carb.

There were a couple of years when I used to get random weird stabbing pains in the soles of my feet. Very painful, sharp and totally out of the blue. Maybe once or twice a week.

Eventually I twigged that they only happened on days after I had eaten more carbs than usual (I was on approx 80g carbs a day at the time, but that is a guess on the carb numbers).

Since taking the ALA, the stabbing has not recurred. But then I dropped to below 50g carbs at the same time, so my bg became better controlled too.

I am not drawing any conclusions, just observing the time line.

Reactions: 2 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am giving it a try at the moment ,it has reduced the stabbing feelings and my Hba has gone down but I am not sure if this is caused by the ala or a tighter control.so after I finish the supply that I have now I intend to stop for a while and see if there is any change .I send for my supplements.from Bodykind they seem reasonably priced and offer good service
CAROL

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you decide to take it @therower choose a good quality one, and build up to your chosen dose gradually over a week or two so you can get used to it and how/if it affects your insulin dosage.

It's pricey stuff, so if you find a small dose works for you, then you'll save money too.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well thanks for all the information people, I knew that you guys would have the information. It's nice to learn something new.
Definitely going to give it a try and see how it goes.
Thanks again.:):):)

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take 600mg a day which is what I've read is the dose used in neuropathy studies. Subjectively I feel it helps. I buy online from nature s best who seem well priced for 300mg tablets and I believe are associated with Lambert's who have a good reputation for quality.

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm thinking this might help me too. I'm waiting for confirmation that I have neuropathy as I've had a serious vit d deficiency which has complicated things. I've all of the symptoms and us diabetics tend to know our own bodies don't we even if the GP fobs you off. Anyway my questions are:
1. Does anyone take it with an under active thyroid ? I'm on Thyroxine.
2. Is it ok with an ant epileptic drug? I'm on a high dose of Epilim.
I'm thoroughly fed up with waiting, rude doctors and just feeling down so am at least trying to control my life somehow. I'm aiming to lose weight, try to find an exercise I can do because walking is painful now, and I've gone beserk eating veg. I am trying because my family are heartily fed up of my down days and I feel like I need help. This forum is ace

Reactions: Fo

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I stopped taking it for about 2weeks and the horrible stabbing like electric barbed wire came back I haven't had it again since I started taking them again so although I haven't found out whether they have an effect on my BGS but I will certainly keep on taking them .I take a 600 mg tablet every day ,the brand is Doctors Best bought from bodykind I think that the price seems reasonable and the service is excellent
CAROL

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@carty Thanks for the update. That is the one I take too. I'll keep taking them, especially after reading of your experience :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another update, but from me:

We went on hol last month. Did a LOT of walking and more carbs than usual.
I was wearing the Libre, and saw some pretty wobbly highs and lows (range 3.8 -9ish, with one spike up to 12mmol/l, compared with my usual 5-7 range).
2 things were interesting
- firstly, my AVERAGE reading on hol was pretty close to my average reading at home. The difference was that I was swinging up and down instead of staying steadyish.
- secondly, the stabbing in my foot came back. only once or twice. but enough to make me take flinch and think 'goodness, I remember how much this hurt!'

So, when I came back, I cracked down on the carbs again, returning to my nice comfortable range, with the odd blip up to 7.5, and the stabbing pain stopped immediately.

(I had lapsed on the ALA when away, but am now back on it daily, 600mg, the brand is Solgar)

Reactions: therower

andyfh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/alphalipoic-acid

Having got fed up with constant toe pains I have purchased these from Amazon: 'Best Naturals Alpha Lipoic Acid 600 mg 120 Capsules' for the princely sum of £19.99 and am taking one each night before bed. I also take 3 x 500mg Metformin per day along with a multi vitamin tablet and B12 oral spray. Too early to say if they are working as I only started last Friday, but as I am not planning to make any other changes to my current diet/exercise regime I should be able to tell whether they work or not (for me) in the next couple of months.

They have no smell or aftertaste and I haven't had any negative reactions despite taking them on an empty stomach, but then I never had an issue with Metformin from day 1 either. Steel lined stomach :cool:

I'll post an update around Christmas or sooner if I notice a change.

Andy.

p.s. the packaging makes no reference to alcohol :hungry:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did a trial on ALA some years ago, and found that ALA did indeed seem to drop my fasting level by around 1 mmol/l. A nightly whisky dropped it by about the same, so I would say ALA is the cheaper and safer option.

ALA is a powerful antioxident so is good for many reasons other than bgl control. I have found better bgl supps than ALA that are cheaper. So I would advise : take ALA for neuropathy alleviation, and look on the bgl lowering property as a bonus

There are 2 types of ALA available. ALAL-L is an isomer that is cheaper to manufacture, and is more stable / longer shelf life than its twin ALA-R which degrades in storage. Most shop sold bottles contain a 50:50 mix of the two unless specified otherwise. I use Swanson brand myself, since H&B tend to be overpriced to pay for their discout scheme. recycled pennies

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is interesting. I didn't know it is best to take it on an empty stomach.