Wheat and gluten intolerant

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot of us avoid eating wheat and gluten due to our diabetes. I no longer suffer from that bloated feeling nor acid reflux as I used to when I ate bread and pasta. Guess I may have been slightly intolerant. Many would say I still am!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Similar to @bulkbiker - don't have a diagnosed intolerance but I know how much better I feel without wheat/gluten/grains in my life, especially bloating, IBS-like symptoms and joint pain. Can't think of any reason why I'd want to go back to eating that stuff.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As above! :D

I have been low carbing for years, more recently VERY low carbing, which means that I have been generally avoiding foods containing wheat and gluten. But until recently, I have just been focussed on the carbs, rather than the grain/gluten. Oh, I knew they gave me indigestion, and a bit of bloat, raising my blood glucose higher than the carb content would expect, and I knew that just a couple of rounds of toast was a BAD thing for me - because it increased inflammation in my knees, etc.

However, recently I decided to do a proper Gluten Free trial for several weeks. So, not even a drop of gravy if we are out for a meal, and inspecting every food item for hidden smidges of wheatgerm oil, or oat flour... Proper strict I am being.

And I am definitely feeling better for it.

Lilliepop

Oh I notice the difference on how I feel when I stop eating wheat and gluten. When I do it it I get terrible aches and pains all over, I even get gout. I also can't tolerate lactose they go hand in hand in a lot of people. Also my gloucoce does go up. So good all round to stop it. You have much more willpower than me.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am gluten dairy and grain intolerant. Actually even carb intolerant even if I wasn't diabetic. Bloat, IBS, fatigue etc. I gave them all up years ago but will still pick at a piece of cheeses occasionally if it's around somewhere. Maybe i should be more conscious. I will also take a few sips of my husbands guinness foam which is barley. Haven't been feeling up to par lately so maybe time to step it up. One would think a bite or two wouldn't matter but I know it does. Sad

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm grain and in most respects intolerant to dairy but not gluten.
I'm also intolerant to a lot of vegetables in that they do not sit well within my mouth or stomach, wether this is a true intolerance or just a dislike of cooked vegetables, especially greens, two examples , carrots, I can eat raw but I would be sick if I had them cooked, spinach, love as part of a salad, but cooked, yuk!
I now know my body prefers fresh food, meats and vegetables.
I think my bloods react to anything processed or manufactured! Is that an intolerance to modern food?
The worst part of my condition is my intolerance to all cakes, sweets, confectionary and all the nice things that used to be a part of my life which would include a chip butty with tomato sauce!

The question is, would I ever go back to that sort of food, of course not!
My health is far too important for that!

Sorry for the ramble, but I've just remembered how my condition can be so deadly for me by not sticking to my very healthy diet!

Roasted fresh chicken for tea!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Poison...., a bad attitude, pumpkin food (yuck), pictures of chocolate (such a tease)
Anyone on here wheat and gluten intolerant as well as being Diabetic or prediabetic?

I have a weird allergy. It's called exercise-induced wheat anaphylaxis. So basically eating wheat + walking,running, general exercise, sets off a chain reaction. I take the risk all the time because I sort of know what my triggers are - white bread, Mcdonalds burgers (yes yes, it's bad, naughty,unhealthy!), pastries. Alcohol acts as a catalyst too, speeds it up!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Can't eat anything with any type of flour. It just does not travel through stomach.

I would rather not have the pain and troubles from eating stuff that my stomach can't handle than eating and be ill..

JimH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed with dairy intolerance 16 years ago and advised to avoid all milk products by dietition and did so for many years. Later through experimenting found I'm okay with goat, sheep and buffalo milk products so more likely I'm just intolerant to the A1 beta-casein protein in cows milk.

About four years ago had more issues and again through experimentation was much better after excluding all wheat/gluten products (not tested for celiac desease - don't want to want to eat gluten for 6 weeks). I discovered some great gluten free alternatives and all was going well until then diagnosed with type 2 in April last year. LCHF diet has me sorted.

I have read some articles indicating that A1 beta-casein in cows milk breaks down to peptide Casomorphin and gluten breaks down to Gliadorphin - these opiate peptides are very similar and cause inflammation and other issues in people susceptible to them. A2 milk products, however, do not break down to Casomorphin.

Last edited:
Reactions: spendercat

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Not diagnosed but have not been eating gluten or grains for months. got stuck out of town the last couple days due to weather cancelling ferries and ate a burger with bun. Now I hurt, every joint is aching. I guess I have my answer. The blood sugar spiked over 10 wasn't good either.

Lilliepop

Not diagnosed but have not been eating gluten or grains for months. got stuck out of town the last couple days due to weather cancelling ferries and ate a burger with bun. Now I hurt, every joint is aching. I guess I have my answer. The blood sugar spiked over 10 wasn't good either.
I know how you feel the pain is terrible, the worst thing is I can't eat gluten free process food that makes me feel ill , they put Xhantan gum in a lot of it and other rubbish. I never thought about it spiking sugar leavels.

Lilliepop

I am gluten dairy and grain intolerant. Actually even carb intolerant even if I wasn't diabetic. Bloat, IBS, fatigue etc. I gave them all up years ago but will still pick at a piece of cheeses occasionally if it's around somewhere. Maybe i should be more conscious. I will also take a few sips of my husbands guinness foam which is barley. Haven't been feeling up to par lately so maybe time to step it up. One would think a bite or two wouldn't matter but I know it does. Sad
What are the symptoms of carb intolerance? I have been thinking for a while now I might be carb intolerant. When I eat carbs I just go to sleep not just a little nap but like a deep sleep and wake up with a headache lucky for me I don't go to work. I have gone to sleep in someone's house before now.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
They are many and varied, but the underlining cause and effect of intolerance to carbs is they quickly turn to glucose and boost your levels very quickly. Intolerance means more Insulin is produced to offset the spike, if you have insulin resistance the more insulin you need and it builds up in your blood as hyperglycaemia and hyperinsulinaemia. This tends to lead to storage of the more cells that cover your endocrine system, fat cells that are stored and increase visceral fat.
The more insulin resistance you become, the more insulin required, the more the body stores fat. It is a lot more scientifically complicated than what I have posted, but once the viscous cycle starts, it's very hard to stop.

That is why a low carb higher fat diet works because you stop producing the excess amount of insulin and the lower the carb intake the need for insulin is reduced, the less the body uses carbs for energy, so it starts on the visceral fat, the more fat used, you begin weight loss, which helps with the feeling of more energy, you use more, you feel better, more exercise and the insulin resistance becomes better, you don't need (again) as much insulin. You break the cycle depending on carbs for energy your body uses. The by product of not having to produce more insulin because of less glucose produced by your carb laden meals means that blood glucose levels start reducing down to normal levels.
The more time spent around normal levels, the healthier the endocrine system is, which helps with not only your body's health but your mental health.

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
I think wheat intolerance/coeliac disease is another expression of the metabolic syndrome that causes all kinds of disorders, including diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease, dementia. The list goes on. Since most of these troubles are caused by excessive insulin in the body it starts to react to any food that triggers a lot of insulin production, developing allergies and intolerances.
The most effective treatment is a controlled carbohydrates diet.
A lot of people report that high blood sugars send them to sleep. Personally I drop off after any substantial meal, including low carb.