Up & Down

IrishJoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Fish =p
I've had high sugars for 2 days now and was hypo last night trying to treat the first round (probably as a result of eating some **** tbh) then the morning was fine but after dinner it was excessively high so I took extra insulin and an hour later was only 1.5 mm less than before.

I'm also wondering if its due to being faffed around on shift work at my work. It is quite vexing and I've been waking up earlier than my alarm almost every day. I only sleep soundly at the weekends.

I'm mostly worried about the up and down-ness of it all.

Also I dont think I've ever honeymooned and wondering if this is it now. (2 years diagnosed this may)

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hi IrishJoe,

Your blood sugar could be higher because you have an infection of some sort, or are stressed? Possibly if you are doing a basal/bolus regime you would need to look at your long acting basal dose; could it need to be increased slightly?

I find that with high blood sugars you need more insulin than you would expect to lower the levels. I'd be concerned though with taking a very large correction dose before sleeping.

All the best

Dillinger

IrishJoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Fish =p
Dillinger said:
Hi IrishJoe,

Your blood sugar could be higher because you have an infection of some sort, or are stressed? Possibly if you are doing a basal/bolus regime you would need to look at your long acting basal dose; could it need to be increased slightly?

I find that with high blood sugars you need more insulin than you would expect to lower the levels. I'd be concerned though with taking a very large correction dose before sleeping.

All the best

Dillinger

I am hyper stressed (job, want to move, getting married in 94 days) but no more than realtive normality. I don't think I have an infection but I was a bit sniffly on the weekend. I'm really hoping it was just a blip...

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Novorapid's peak effectiveness is 2 to 3 hours after injecting so by checking your blood sugars after 1 hour is probably too soon to notice a significant difference in readings. Test 3 hours after injecting and you'll get a more accurate picture of how much the correction dose has brought down your readings.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Irishjoe
Are you taking Lantus or Levemir with your Novorapid?
Jus

IrishJoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Fish =p
Lantus. Higher than normal today, - I think its my shift pattern. I also feel quite thirsty and am going to check my ketones incase I'm ketotic.

janabelle

Dislikes
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Irishjoe
The "up-and-down-ness" you mention could well be because Lantus isn't working for you. You're not the first to have such a prob with Lantus, and you won't be the last :evil: Days when you're high all day, and low on others, unexplained hypos, and general erratic control, are problems myself and many others experienced with Lantus. If you've tried everything and cannot find another explanation, try another insulin.
Best of luck
Jus

brendan1985

yo joe
in response to last post, im on levemir and iv experienced similar ups and downs as yourself so not sure would that make a whole lot of difference but maybe worth a try :roll:

i find stress def effects it, i find staying in bed past 10am effects it, goin to bed too late and eating late at nite past 11pm. im 24 and have had type1 sice 15 . its difficult to offer an obviuos solution but trial and error is prob the only road to go down esp if ur on shift work

g luck
irish brendan

janabelle

Dislikes
Having RP
Hi Brendan,
Excellent response to Diabeticveteran :)and gr8 you discovered changing insulins solved that prob for you too.
Re-ups & downs-erratic control and swings are not good long term. If your having trouble controlling your BG levels on Levemir, maybe you should consider trying a different insulin again. Some people just don't get on with any analogue insulins, you may be better suited to animal insulin or synthetic "human" insulin.
Kewgirl posted this recently-loads of insulin info and definitely worth a look. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13788
I've been type-1 for 21 years this month; I spent 15 years on synthetic human insulin;never had great control, then switched to Lantus by my clinic in 2004. Seemed to be working ok to start, then side-effects began, and came to a peak about 2-3 years later, I was at death's door and no idea it was caused by Lantus. My BGs were up & down like a yo yo, and no pattern to it whatsoever. Since going on porcine insulin, finally I have the control I've strived for all those years. I feel well again,more energetic and less tired than I've felt since diagnosis,animal insulin was definitely the best choice for me, only wish I'd been offered it years ago :(
Take a look at IDDT webiste, http://www.iddt.org/ for more insulin info.
Best of luck to you and Irishjoe.
Jus :)

IrishJoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Fish =p
Well I went to my GP got some tests... apparantly I've to have a phone appt. re: a renal issue... which is worrying... *sigh*

Oh and my work decided to put me on the shift which is worse for my sugars, because its '*easier* for them..

IrishJoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Fish =p
I'm low on potassium.. seems to be related to the elevated sugars... anyone experience this before?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I too was told I was deficient in Potassium mainly due to it lacking in my diet, however it could also be down to the fact I take a Diuretic which flushes out both Sodium and Potassium as they are closely related.

I was told to eat a Banana a day and also drink plenty of Coffee as both are rich in Potassium. Suits me. No hassle really. Problem sorted.

Ken