Calf muscle pain

johnholland71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, over the last few weeks I've had pain in my left calf muscle when walking. Im not sure whether it's something to do with a flight I took two weeks ago. Doesn't seem to be getting any better. Anyone had this before ??

Thanks, John

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Does your leg hurt from the start, or does it build up then yelp? If it does that it could be a build up of Lactic Acid. I used to get this a lot but I don't do anywhere near as much walking

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is your diabetes velregulated ? do you have a low HbA1c... just to hope it has nothing to do with neuropathy.

If you are very low carb and do not eat much green and fruit it could be low potassium, but you have then to go to your GP and have it found out by a blood sample... as it is dangerous to overdose. I could also be low magnesium and that can be solved by taking magnesium suplements..
it could also be a damage in your mucle if you were unlucky that day, I once had a kind of muscle injury when playing badminton, it took about a month to become normal again..... cant you phone your doctor about it ?

Last edited:

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hello, over the last few weeks I've had pain in my left calf muscle when walking. Im not sure whether it's something to do with a flight I took two weeks ago. Doesn't seem to be getting any better. Anyone had this before ??

Thanks, John

That sometimes happens to me with my lower calf muscle - it just goes rock hard and I have to massage it for a while to settle it down. It happens to me when I have been sitting for great lengths of time without stretching or moving - I'm a database programmer so I sit often and if lost in a database issue or sometimes forget to move (being in the same position for hours at a time) it will happen. So .... have you been sitting down much since your flight?

I had a stand up work station but then got moved to another building so I've been sitting again.

A

asparagusp

Your pain in your calf could be a deep vein thrombosis. I had pain in my lower leg a few weeks ago for over a week which kept throbbing and I went to our local walk in local community a and e. It wasn't luckily and in fact it went away in a few days. Alternatively you could be lacking Vitamin D. You can ask the doctor for a blood test to see if you need a supplement. GPs however tend to prescribe D2 which ism't as good as D3, so you may have to buy them yourself..

johnholland71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks so so much for all your replies. This has been so helpful. I will talk to my GP. I had my blood test yesterday as well. I will update you all soon. Thanks again for your support. John

Reactions: SWUSA_

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Look up intermittent claudication too, a common symptoms is calf pain whilst walking etc.

Reactions: SWUSA_

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you take Statins? as these can cause muscle pain in some people

Reactions: Freema

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Hi John
If its deep vein thrombosis then your calf would be red and warmer to touch than your other calf. It's worth getting it checked out as it can be caused by Airplane travel.
Regards
Maggie

Chris Thailand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been having this. Last check up at the hospital they put me on a full-body blood pressure testing machine. Strange thing. Apparently my BP is lower than normal in my left leg and may lead to a bypass in my leg. Another strange thing.