Wacky Reading This morning

sandylane

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Would welcome any ideas. But I had an unusually high blood glucose reading this morning. I am currently in week 5 of the 8 week blood sugar diet and am only eating protein and green vegetables. My morning fasting blood glucose reading has been dropping beautifully from 6.6 down to 6.0.

Then suddenly this morning it was at 6.6. I re-washed my hands and did two more tests, still 6.6.

I think I am getting a cold, do viruses cause readings to go up?

Should I expect to get occasional unexpected readings?

Also for @bulkbiker I can see your great Hba1c readings on your profile, did you get unexplained wacky morning readings on occassion?

Thanks all!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes indeed especially the FBG in the morning it sometimes can be high for no reason..a lot of people here ignore it for the mot part and just look at their before and after food numbers.. have you heard of the "dawn phenomenon" that usually explains odd morning readings. There are a few threads here on it if you put it in the search box.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we ALL get wacky readings on occasion - and sometimes they are a LOT more wacky that just 0.6 higher than expected. :)

My Fasting hops around quite a lot on a daily basis, and I kind of just let it be what it wants to be (nothing else I CAN do, really). Major influences on it are stress, excitement, sleeplessness, too much sleep, what I ate the night before, whether it is a work day or a weekend or a holiday...

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@sandylane if you are getting a cold that can raise your fbg. Any infection or illness can. Could be Dawn Phenomenon too.
But a 0.6 rise isn't much.

Reactions: sandylane

sandylane

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks @bulkbiker @Brunneria @Prem51 Really appreciate your insight, you guys are stalwart contributors to this forum.

I am early days into learning and understanding glucose patterns; there is a lot of information out there about targets etc; but so little information about what fluctuations and spikes can look like. The info this forum provides through people's real experience is a huge help.

Thanks all !

sandylane

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Morning all - You were right, my FBG was back down to 5.7 this morning so back on track. I feel much better this morning, I think I was at peak cold virus yesterday.

rrenee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Would welcome any ideas. But I had an unusually high blood glucose reading this morning. I am currently in week 5 of the 8 week blood sugar diet and am only eating protein and green vegetables. My morning fasting blood glucose reading has been dropping beautifully from 6.6 down to 6.0.

Then suddenly this morning it was at 6.6. I re-washed my hands and did two more tests, still 6.6.

I think I am getting a cold, do viruses cause readings to go up?

Should I expect to get occasional unexpected readings?

Also for @bulkbiker I can see your great Hba1c readings on your profile, did you get unexplained wacky morning readings on occassion?

Thanks all!
Hello..........Welcome to Diabetes! I, am LAAD also 1.5 or just plain Diabetic 1
I was a Healthy Person then @ 70 yr I Became a Diabetic......now 74 I have been on Medtronic Pump for a year and it has made a 150% change in my Life. But now I am going on the 630GM with a Sensor to tell if you are going Low or High BEFORE I freak out.and Yes if you have a Flu shot You will go high for a week or so or Any injection will do this to you!
Anything you injestCold tablet etc will have glue lose rise it's a ***** and I am STILL working on Acceptance...ha ha
I have a soft pocket belt that secures pump at nite So much better good sleep!

Good Luck & Blessings :)

Reactions: Prem51