Regular moderate exercise log

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hated exercise for 40 years, @ellagy - it's a recent addition to my life - and I LOVE the endorphins! I started off very, very gently, and am still a fairly new kid on the exercise block.

I swim and dabble at running - not tried anything else yet. Am hoping to have some swimming lessons sometime so that I can learn some proper strokes - one of these days I'd love to achieve something other than doggy paddle!

:)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Snapsy. I don't train on Saturdays, I dedicate the day to time with my good wife.
Circumstances today however gave me a few hours to kill, so a trip to the gym for an EASY workout seemed a good idea.
It's a rest day so the plan is to do 40/45 mins easy cardio.
1 hr 10 mins after signing in the gym I find myself mopping up two pools of sweat from either side of the exercise bike. The 20 mins on the rowing machine and then the stepper just didn't seem enough.
Now I'm not sure but I suspect we have a similar attitude to physical exercise, we just can't help ourselves.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Reactions: Mbaker

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Brilliant - although your view of 40-45 minutes cardio as being appropriate for a 'rest day' is alarming - that's way more than my toughest exercise of the week! Maybe avoid that exercise bike on 'rest days' in future...!!!!!!!!!!!

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Friend of mine surprised me yesterday with going rock climbing for my B-day (well technically it wasn't my birthday yet). Apparently i never mentioned to him that i'm affraid of heights, but i did it anyway and i must say it's more of a workout than i expected, especially with having bad leg cramps from working out the day before. Can't say any longer that i've never had an hamstring cramp while dangling off the side of a rock :D

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I hated exercise for 40 years, @ellagy - it's a recent addition to my life - and I LOVE the endorphins! I started off very, very gently, and am still a fairly new kid on the exercise block.

I swim and dabble at running - not tried anything else yet. Am hoping to have some swimming lessons sometime so that I can learn some proper strokes - one of these days I'd love to achieve something other than doggy paddle!

Even more laudable @Snapsy. I am on the sick list for at least this week so no exercise for me. My doggies might join you doing the doggie paddle though!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @ellagy - so sorry you're not well. Hope you feel much better soon. Give yourself lots of time!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Following @therower 's fine example for what to do on a 'rest day' - ;) - Mr S and I cycled 8km to the next village (the long way round) in the autumn sunshine looking at gorgeous countryside views, had a pint of best bitter each and cycled 5km (direct route) home.

Legs coped with cycling despite the stiffness from yesterday!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Snapsy . That's my girl !!!!!!!!!!!!! Getting back to your old self so soon.
Strange how some of us just have to do that little bit more.
Sounds like a good day all round. Cycling under the influence.:wacky::wacky::wacky:

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's been a most excellent weekend all round, @therower! And we stopped at just the one (pint, I mean, not pub!) so as to be safe to be in charge of bicycles. Nothing like a proper Sunday afternoon in the country!

:happy:

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have returned to work, after a spell of being signed off, to a totally new timetable. (This would've happened regardless of the period of time off.) From being almost totally classroom based, higher level academic and pretty sedentary during the working day, I'm back where I started in this area of the educational world in the workshops, with days of wearing my steel toe-capped boots, boiler suits and messing about with vehicles, and all other things hands on and practical.

From a regular, moderate exercise point of view, this is good news as I'm now based the far end of the campus, and will be walking more out of sheer necessity. I'm going to stick to walking some of the way to and from work, but will be feeling far less guilty getting buses home on the darker nights! Especially if my 5 - 7 miles on a week day target is still met most days. (This Day 300 of my year's walking at 1537 miles, averaging 5.1 miles a day over the 300 days, my weekly average currently is between 9 and 7 a day!)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Brilliant, @Japes - hope it's all going really well!
:happy:

Did 20 lengths yesterday, but am not swimming this morning as I woke up at 3am and didn't drift off again until 5am. As it's going to be a very busy day today I've treated myself to a rest day.

:angelic:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning! 20 lengths today.

I'm trying a new approach, so as not to overdo things. I'm an 'all or nothing' kind of girl, and it's been pointed out to me by several friends that I've already become very gung ho about getting back to exercise after my enforced break.

So, I have made some rules!

My plan for November is to:
Swim 12 to 20 lengths 3 to 5 times per week
Run a maximum of 1 x 5km per week (ideally parkrun, diary permitting)
A bike ride maximum of 1 per week

And that is IT.

In December I will raise the length limit, and have a think about how to up the running.

I'm aiming for stamina and fitness, and am trying to not be in competition with myself. This I hope will minimise the risk of Snapsy-obsessiveness, injuries, too much weight loss and repeated illness!

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
Still doing our daily walks - but with the darker nights, we have bought torches ....horahhh so walking after work can continue.

Still doing aqua aerobics 2x per week, but finding it hard to get any extra gym sessions in for some reason ..... (probably cos I am trying to finish a quilt I am making and need finished as its for me and the thyroid thing just makes me feel cold) ...

Romeran

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is interesting. I am 88 years old and have had T2 for 20 years. Fortunately I have always loved exercise and my legs are still strong after being a member of a walking group for many years. However, age takes its toll and I now love staying in bed in the mornings(!) so another challenge to try to overcome. I moved to a new area 2 years ago and walk regularly with the local council's "Walking for Health" programme. The walks only last an hour so we do about 3 miles and it ensures I get up. Also have made friends with some of the regulars. I like walking alone too so do this about twice a week, can walk further if not Spending energy on talking and listening (hearing aids mean more effort there).
I have gained some good tips about food intake on this forum. The advice originally given me was to eat about one third each of protein, carbs and veg and this worked well while younger but not so much now so am experimenting with lower carb and more protein to stave off hunger. I can't overdo fats because I no longer have a gall bladder.
I do feel, though, that some people appear to be relying on too little carb and too much fat. Long term I doubt that the liver would like it. Also, don't downgrade porridge. It's a nutritious and inexpensive food and so comforting.
To finish, I am now on slow release Metformin and one Glyclizide per day. If I want to reduce the Metformin, does my doctor have to agree? I have no complications.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A friend and I did 20 lengths together Thursday morning - great fun to swim together! In an effort to treat ourselves to some calming relaxation, later that day a different friend and I took off for a spa day at a different health club to my normal haunt.

After 75 minutes of massage and facials we spent two hours swimming inside, swimming outside, steaming, saunaing, jacuzziing, swimming, swimming.....

Massage was at 11. Got home at 5. Bed at 6.30 - I was shattered.... Relaxation on a spa day? It was exhausting!

Rest day yesterday, then today I did parkrun in 33.03, so better than last week AND I ran all the way, then a long walk around a National Trust garden after lunch, followed by a late (and cold!) later afternoon walk.

Tomorrow is a gentler day - at least that's the plaaaaaan......

;)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Snapsy. So how's the November plan going?
Didn't realise that you was going to do a month's worth of swimming all in one day :woot::woot:.
Keep pushing yourself, you know it's what you want.:):):)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @therower , so far, so good!

Beach walk and rockpooling Sunday, then a walk up the hill to the lighthouse.
10km bike ride for a birthday pub lunch yesterday, fuelled by Camembert* outbound and an 8oz ribeye inbound.

*A Camembert the size of a dinner plate was perhaps the BEST birthday cake I've ever had. Happy low carb Snapsy!

Oh, and 20 lengths this morning. Perfect.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Snapsy . Think we can finally say that you're back to the Snapsy we all know so well.
You sound a lot happier than a while back when you wasn't well.
A great birthday by the sounds of it, not sure about the Camembert though. Stilton and crackers for me around my birthday time.
Off up gym for an hour or so doing a few complex workouts now.
A little bit of pain and hopefully a lot of gain.:):):):):):)