best bread for a Type2.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Everyone speaks of quantity never quality of carb. Really good bread that's home made is the best
If you make it with grain flour Stu it turns to sugar in your body straight away - if you're on meds you may be able to deal with it but if not you cannot.... I tested one tiny round of garlic bread once... after 2 hours 11.7... I could not believe it... grains of any kind are completely banned for me I'm afraid... :(

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no substitute for real bread for me personally. I can't stand seedy bread or anything made with alternative flours like almond flour, milled flax seed or coconut flours they taste horrible to me so I would rather go without but actually I don't because I have Kingsmill crustless wholemeal bread very small thin slices and I can eat two of those without a problem

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
yes true but bread is such a pointless thing to eat.. it serves no real purpose and is just padding. I have had one tiny piece in a posh restaurant and one lidl roll in the past year and can honestly say I just don't miss it. When trying to control carb intake it just seems crazy to eat any carbs that contribute nothing to the diet.. Maybe it's just me being a low carb extremist.. hey ho
yes true but bread is such a pointless thing to eat.. it serves no real purpose and is just padding. I have had one tiny piece in a posh restaurant and one lidl roll in the past year and can honestly say I just don't miss it. When trying to control carb intake it just seems crazy to eat any carbs that contribute nothing to the diet.. Maybe it's just me being a low carb extremist.. hey ho
Avocado soldiers?
Haven't eaten breakfast for a year either..oh yeah I'm a fasting extremist too..forgot to mention that
Hello,
I'm a new recruit to the type 2 club. Trying very hard to sort my condition by diet alone! A bit of a struggle as I wake up with high BG readings, I think this is called the dawn effect, or similar. I'm very intrigued about how you are managing your condition without drugs, as I would like to do the same.
I've tried the 8 week blood sugar diet, with some success, but I've morphed back into old ways.
I've tried extreme exercise, including a mini triathlon, which raised my BG ! I think because of the competitive nature of the event, and the adrenaline effects.
I am now trying 2 days fasting and low carb, good fat, the rest of the time. After two days and nights of fasting my blood glucose finally gets into normal range, (high end of normal, 7 or high 6)!
Not losing much weight though, as I return to normal/low carb diet for five days, I immediately gain back anything I lost during the two days of fasting.
My aim is to reduce my BMI to a point that the type 2 is in normal range, as I've read a lot of people have achieved this. My current BMI is top end of normal, so I'm not overweight but neither am I skinny.
Any suggestions, ideas re diet would be gratefully received!
Thanks
LAR

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @LAR
My method is half explained here
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/one-year-in-thank-you-all.110499/

These days I am experimenting with fasting of different periods but I would say it is very important to be on a very low carb diet before starting as you will get very strong hunger pangs is you fast whilst still eating carbs - it may make it almost unbearable.
I try to follow a ketogenic diet a lot of info on which I get from these guys
http://2ketodudes.com
Their podcasts and facebook page (all free) are full of helpful advice, strong minded people who know about the condition and quite lot of swearing.. which amuses me as well as a few rows which to be honest usually ends up explaining things better as people get passionate about their way of eating. There are also a lot of females on there who have their own unique perspective, obviously something s a bloke I don't really have.
I also follow www.dietdoctor.com again a huge resource of info recipes and support.
I'll tag in @Brunneria because she knows much more about how women react differently to things.
Obviously there is also a huge amount of info available on this site too.
But in essence what I did was to cut breakfast completely, cut carbs from my food completely (or at least as much as possible) apart from green leafy veg, cauliflower, salad and avocado. I eat all meats (lots of bacon) and fish and cook things in butter, ghee or animal fat. Have butter on my veg and drink coffee with double cream and sometimes coconut oil. Cheese and a few berries with double cream as a dessert treat.
It took me at least 6 months before my Dawn Phenomenon started to go down a bit so don't worry about that too much. More important is measuring you bloods before and 2 hours after each meal to see the effect of what you are eating and trying to keep the rise lower than 1.5mmol .
Warning though.. I am a bit of an extremist - others are far more lenient in what they eat but it seems for me what I have done so far is ok.
Hope that helps..
Regards
Mark

Reactions: LAR

Redrav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Negative people
Try this 'mini bread' recipe:

Author: Louise Hendon

Serves: 4 small round slices

Ingredients

1. Grease a mug.

2. Mix together all the ingredients with a fork.

3. Pour mixture into mug.

4. Microwave for 90 seconds on high.

5. Cool for a few minutes.

6. Pop out of mug gently and slice.

Nutrition Information

Serving size: 1 slice Calories: 132 Fat: 13 g Saturated fat: 5.25 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 2 g Sodium: 152 mg Fiber: 1 g Protein: 3.25 g Cholesterol: 66.25 mg

Reactions: LAR

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @LAR
My method is half explained here
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/one-year-in-thank-you-all.110499/

These days I am experimenting with fasting of different periods but I would say it is very important to be on a very low carb diet before starting as you will get very strong hunger pangs is you fast whilst still eating carbs - it may make it almost unbearable.
I try to follow a ketogenic diet a lot of info on which I get from these guys
http://2ketodudes.com
Their podcasts and facebook page (all free) are full of helpful advice, strong minded people who know about the condition and quite lot of swearing.. which amuses me as well as a few rows which to be honest usually ends up explaining things better as people get passionate about their way of eating. There are also a lot of females on there who have their own unique perspective, obviously something s a bloke I don't really have.
I also follow www.dietdoctor.com again a huge resource of info recipes and support.
I'll tag in @Brunneria because she knows much more about how women react differently to things.
Obviously there is also a huge amount of info available on this site too.
But in essence what I did was to cut breakfast completely, cut carbs from my food completely (or at least as much as possible) apart from green leafy veg, cauliflower, salad and avocado. I eat all meats (lots of bacon) and fish and cook things in butter, ghee or animal fat. Have butter on my veg and drink coffee with double cream and sometimes coconut oil. Cheese and a few berries with double cream as a dessert treat.
It took me at least 6 months before my Dawn Phenomenon started to go down a bit so don't worry about that too much. More important is measuring you bloods before and 2 hours after each meal to see the effect of what you are eating and trying to keep the rise lower than 1.5mmol .
Warning though.. I am a bit of an extremist - others are far more lenient in what they eat but it seems for me what I have done so far is ok.
Hope that helps..
Regards
Mark
Fab. Thank you. I'll try your method.
Great you got back so quickly.
Really appreciate your help. Off for a walk now, hopefully will help
All the best
LAR

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fab. Thank you. I'll try your method.
Great you got back so quickly.
Really appreciate your help. Off for a walk now, hopefully will help
All the best
LAR
My pleasure.. enjoy the walk.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Hello,
I'm a new recruit to the type 2 club. Trying very hard to sort my condition by diet alone! A bit of a struggle as I wake up with high BG readings, I think this is called the dawn effect, or similar. I'm very intrigued about how you are managing your condition without drugs, as I would like to do the same.
I've tried the 8 week blood sugar diet, with some success, but I've morphed back into old ways.
I've tried extreme exercise, including a mini triathlon, which raised my BG ! I think because of the competitive nature of the event, and the adrenaline effects.
I am now trying 2 days fasting and low carb, good fat, the rest of the time. After two days and nights of fasting my blood glucose finally gets into normal range, (high end of normal, 7 or high 6)!
Not losing much weight though, as I return to normal/low carb diet for five days, I immediately gain back anything I lost during the two days of fasting.
My aim is to reduce my BMI to a point that the type 2 is in normal range, as I've read a lot of people have achieved this. My current BMI is top end of normal, so I'm not overweight but neither am I skinny.
Any suggestions, ideas re diet would be gratefully received!
Thanks
LAR
Hi Lar.... I suffer with liver-dump in the night too... it wakes me as I get very hot, very quickly and briefly... :) I have found that if I make Bullet-Proof hot chocolate or eat a couple of fat-bombs before bed I sleep through usually and my numbers are lower in the morning... I find also that if I eat fish and salad, or similar, in the evening it helps... everyone is different, it is going to take lots of testing before you get settled... Bulkbiker has good advice, but if you don't eat breakfast and need sustenance a Bullet-Proof coffee or tea is great to get you to lunch time, and the value of the coconut oil is inestimable.... wonderful stuff... :) Susi...

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Tiny bread is pointless bread. A man needs a proper slice, as thick as a doorstop and loaded with bacon..:p
Then cut it horizontally, as thick as you like, and stuff it with as much bacon (and an egg, sausage too) as you feel you can eat. (Actually, I'd put a slice or two of black pudding in as well).

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Lar.... I suffer with liver-dump in the night too... it wakes me as I get very hot, very quickly and briefly... :) I have found that if I make Bullet-Proof hot chocolate or eat a couple of fat-bombs before bed I sleep through usually and my numbers are lower in the morning... I find also that if I eat fish and salad, or similar, in the evening it helps... everyone is different, it is going to take lots of testing before you get settled... Bulkbiker has good advice, but if you don't eat breakfast and need sustenance a Bullet-Proof coffee or tea is great to get you to lunch time, and the value of the coconut oil is inestimable.... wonderful stuff... :) Susi...
Could you post your recipe for bulletproof hot chocolate please? I am not a coffee drinker.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I have a need to increase my blood glucose, I enjoy a slice of LivLive bread http://www.livlifefoods.co.uk/ (with Peanut Butter) :) It's the lowest carb bread I've discovered, at 3.8gms per slice. I love this but rarely eat it. If you Google it, you will see where it's available (UK)

connie1049g

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been using a couple of the Lidl rolls each week, after reading about them on this forum, and they seem fine, although no stats are available as they are sold loose, without packaging. I have now discovered some bread in my local Sainsburys which seems quite good, and very tasty, albeit not cheap! The figures are, per 100 gr, carbs 15.6, of which 3.4 sugars. Protein 24.7gr. Just wondered if this seems ok, in moderation. At least it is a chance to have "proper" bread now and again! It is called Hi-Lo. I would welcome opinions.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
These are the nutritional details for the Lidl rolls. The current rolls are slightly less than 100g. The ones in my Lidl are about 92g.

Ingredients Water, 17 % Linseed, Wheat Protein, Soy Flour, Whole Wheat Flour , 4 % Sesame, Soybean Meal, 3 % Sunflower seeds, Wheat Bran, Yeast , Oat Fiber, Salt, Coloring Spice Extracts (Curcuma), Thickener: Guar Gum.

Nutritional Information
Typical Values per 100g

Energy 289kcal/1203kJ
Fat 13.8g
Of which saturates 1.8g
Carbohydrate 9.8g
Of which sugars 1.2g
Fibre 12.3g
Protein 25.0g
Salt 1.03g

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
In a diabetic top trumps of bread. Lidl protein rolls are clear winners.

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Susikav
Thanks for your help. I don't know what a bullet proof coffe is, can you explain?
Thanks
LAR