Alpha Lipoic Acid

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is special in the kind of ways that it as an antioxidant can disolve in both water and fat and that it can pass the blood brain barrier, Some think it can maybe also help the brain NOT becomming dement. The two forms do NOT work equally good in humans: the R-Alpha -lipoic-acid is the one that is the effective , in Germany it is first given in injections in very high dosis when having neuropathy and then in a pill form at least 600mg a day. When browsing in European Web-shops there are very great price diferences

Last edited:

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How do I know which sort of ALA I have? I buy Nature's Best and it doesn't say anywhere?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do I know which sort of ALA I have? I buy Nature's Best and it doesn't say anywhere?
Go by price - ALA-R is more expensive and rarer. Generally suppliers charge a premium for it, so it is in their interests to market it specifically.

So if its not declared as a specific format, then it is safe to assume it is the 50:50 mix. I had my local H&B manager ring up his head office to find out, and it came back immediately as MIX.

I personally need to save my pennies, so I go for a reasonable priced mix. My neuropathy is reduced a bit, and I am not on NSAIDS, so its ok.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just looked at the prices of r-ala, blimey! And that's for low dosage 50mg stuff. Crikey.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Go by price - ALA-R is more expensive and rarer. Generally suppliers charge a premium for it, so it is in their interests to market it specifically.

So if its not declared as a specific format, then it is safe to assume it is the 50:50 mix. I had my local H&B manager ring up his head office to find out, and it came back immediately as MIX.

I personally need to save my pennies, so I go for a reasonable priced mix. My neuropathy is reduced a bit, and I am not on NSAIDS, so its ok.
I might have missed the NSAIDS relevance. Does taking NSAIDS affect r-ala absorption?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi I'm thinking this might help me too. I'm waiting for confirmation that I have neuropathy as I've had a serious vit d deficiency which has complicated things. I've all of the symptoms and us diabetics tend to know our own bodies don't we even if the GP fobs you off. Anyway my questions are:
1. Does anyone take it with an under active thyroid ? I'm on Thyroxine.
2. Is it ok with an ant epileptic drug? I'm on a high dose of Epilim.
I'm thoroughly fed up with waiting, rude doctors and just feeling down so am at least trying to control my life somehow. I'm aiming to lose weight, try to find an exercise I can do because walking is painful now, and I've gone beserk eating veg. I am trying because my family are heartily fed up of my down days and I feel like I need help. This forum is ace
I take 200mg levothyroxine for hypothyroidism with no problems. Not sure about Epilim. Chemist would know, give them a ring?

Reactions: Freema

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I might have missed the NSAIDS relevance. Does taking NSAIDS affect r-ala absorption?
No, but NSAIDs do reduce pain from neuropathy a bit. I was pointing out that I am only using diet and ALA for my neuropathy in case someone felt I may be deceiving myself when I declare that ALA seems to improve my condition.
However I was recently taking a PPI med which was definitely interfering with several meds and supplements, esp my Gliclazide and iron tabs.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just looked at the prices of r-ala, blimey! And that's for low dosage 50mg stuff. Crikey.

yes but the prices vary greatly I bought some to my mother 600 mg... I think from germany.. I´ll try to find where I bought it... is doesn´t cost much more to have it sent from another EU-country...

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes I bought Alpha lipoic Acis type R , in germany at a very reliable pharmacy, it takes 3-5 days to recieve what you have orderen...
in german it is called ; 1x Alpha Liponsäure 300 bioaktive R (+) Form Kapseln (PZN: 10045245) 100St

it is 300mg capsuels.. and they cost 29,5 Euros for 100 capsuels

http://www.apo-rot.dk/detaljer/alph...chkeyword=Alpha+Lipons%E4ure+300+bioaktive+R+

if you buy more than a certain pice you only pay 4 euro to have it sent to you adress.

Last edited:

Actaeon70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Noise, drunk people
I'm beginning to get occasional pain in my feet, so I might give ALA a try.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @ickihun . Still taking ala 300mg a day. Found I had to reduce my basal insulin slightly.
Was getting a strange sensation in my right foot, couldn't figure out what it was, so decided to take ala to see what would happen. 2 week's in and the foot felt normal again and only last week had a check up and nurse actually complemented me on how healthy my feet are.
So in summary I'm still using ala, no side affects and what appears at present to be positive results.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
We need a petition to have it on the nhs like in Germany, me thinks! That alone will save them money!

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Hi I'm thinking this might help me too. I'm waiting for confirmation that I have neuropathy as I've had a serious vit d deficiency which has complicated things. I've all of the symptoms and us diabetics tend to know our own bodies don't we even if the GP fobs you off. Anyway my questions are:
1. Does anyone take it with an under active thyroid ? I'm on Thyroxine.
2. Is it ok with an ant epileptic drug? I'm on a high dose of Epilim.
I'm thoroughly fed up with waiting, rude doctors and just feeling down so am at least trying to control my life somehow. I'm aiming to lose weight, try to find an exercise I can do because walking is painful now, and I've gone beserk eating veg. I am trying because my family are heartily fed up of my down days and I feel like I need help. This forum is ace
Hi Conniecar... I take Thyroxine - for what it's worth - and I take ALA 600mg a day... I also take large doses of B12 - research suggests it's helpful for epilepsy as well ... Benfotiamine, which is fat soluble B1... I take Kelp too.. we need iodine... Magnesium Citrate and Q10! I rattle and hate it, but it's worth it... no more numb patches on my feet... If you look on the Neuropathy thread on here you can find more info too.... If you are Low Carbing you will surely lose weight... :) Good luck ...

andyfh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/alphalipoic-acid

Having got fed up with constant toe pains I have purchased these from Amazon: 'Best Naturals Alpha Lipoic Acid 600 mg 120 Capsules' for the princely sum of £19.99 and am taking one each night before bed. I also take 3 x 500mg Metformin per day along with a multi vitamin tablet and B12 oral spray. Too early to say if they are working as I only started last Friday, but as I am not planning to make any other changes to my current diet/exercise regime I should be able to tell whether they work or not (for me) in the next couple of months.

They have no smell or aftertaste and I haven't had any negative reactions despite taking them on an empty stomach, but then I never had an issue with Metformin from day 1 either. Steel lined stomach :cool:

I'll post an update around Christmas or sooner if I notice a change.

Andy.

p.s. the packaging makes no reference to alcohol :hungry:
Well I can confirm that since starting to take 1 x 600mg capsule per day on October 28th, I no longer get those horrible stinging, spiking pains in my feet and toes. I am amazed at the effect they have had after such a short period of time. :)

www.diabetes.co.uk: Check!
Codefree bg meter: Check!
Livlife bread; Check!
Divine 85% plain chocolate: Check!
Rowntrees no added sugar jelly pots: Check!
Dry red wine: Check!
Home made almond biscuits/crackers: Check!
Avocados: Check!
Eggs: Check!
Baby-Bel cheese: Check!
Bruce Lean shakes: Check!
Double cream: Check!
Water: Check!
Alpha Lipoic Acid capsules: Check!
Exercise bike: Check!

Type 2 diabetes soon to be under control: Check!

thumbsup.gif

Reactions: welsheagle