Raised Readings. Any thoughts.

glucose kid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had been using Aviva Accu-Chek from March 2016, when diagnosed Type 2, up until mid September 2019.
Average readings as follows:
Waking 6.9 mmol/L, 2hrs after Breakfast 6.4 mmol/L, 2hrs after Lunch 6.2 mmol/L, Bedtime 6.0 mmol/L.
Total Average 6.4 mmol/L.

I then decided to change my meter to SD Codefree due to the expense of the Aviva Test Strips.

My reading have risen since starting with this meter, Mid September to date.
Average readings as follows:
Waking 8.1 mmol/L, 2hrs after Breakfast 8.6 mmol/L, 2hours after Lunch 7.5 mmol/L, Bedtime 7.3 mmol/L.
Total Average 7.9 mmol/L.
A 1.5 mmol/L increase!

Nothing has really change with my daily routine, but I'm concerned and a little downhearted at this increase.
I would value any constructive suggestions and advice.

Thanks.

Reactions: Freema

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too have used an accu-check in the past, before buying the SD, and yes the SD records higher numbers. Do remember that these are not calibrated scientific instruments, and they are permitted to have a margin of error. The most important thing is not the absolute number, but the TREND over time with any meter you use

Kingofnowhere

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I did some tests (Same drop of blood) with the codefree against freedom light. The code free always reads higher. Below are the numbers I had.

Code:
Code    F
8.1    6.3
8.0    6.9
7.6    6.9
7.1    6.3
7.1    6.1
7.0    5.2
6.7    5.7
6.5    5.3
6.5    6.5
6.4    5.5
6.3    5.0
5.7    4.3
5.6    5.3
5.5    4.9
5.5    4.3
5.4    5.2
5.4    5.1
5.1    4.6
4.7    4.3

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, many people report the Codefree reads higher than some other meters, but unless you need accurate readings for injecting insulin, the numbers aren't that important. It is the trends we look for, so if you continue to use the Codefree, put your other meter away and don't be tempted to keep cross checking. Use the Codefree to spot trends, upwards or downwards.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Over the last week or so my FBG readings with the code free have been in the low 4's to mid and high 4's I wonder if this signifies true readings being a lot lower if comparing with readings from other meters. But as has been said it's trends we look for except the trend in my case may be heading for hypoland.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But if you are still diet only why should you hypo? Your body won't let you.

glucose kid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all who replied. Will put the Aviva away and watch for trends as suggested. Hopefully in a slightly move downward direction. One encouraging thing is that no one has said my readings are a cause of concern. :)

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

I did some tests (Same drop of blood) with the codefree against freedom light. The code free always reads higher. Below are the numbers I had.

Code:
Code    F
8.1    6.3
8.0    6.9

Gee - those are pretty good GB readings regardless of the meter. This is something that concerns me with diabetes management products - how accurate are they? What form of testing or standards do they follow. We assume whether it's a meter, strips, pump that they are guaranteed to work - not always

Reactions: glucose kid

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yes your readings are fine (Well done!).

I have a feeling the SD codefree, (and I might get this completely wrong), measures blood plasma glucose levels where as most other meters measure whole blood glucose levels, or vice versa.

Also your results between the two pretty much consistently have the same discrepancy and both follow the same daily pattern.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
yes your readings are fine (Well done!).

I have a feeling the SD codefree, (and I might get this completely wrong), measures blood plasma glucose levels where as most other meters measure whole blood glucose levels, or vice versa.

Also your results between the two pretty much consistently have the same discrepancy and both follow the same daily pattern.

The Codefree measures whole blood then converts the readings to plasma readings before displaying the numbers. Plasma readings are the ones we get when we have blood taken from the arm for HbA1c. There are other meters that do this conversion. The Accu Cheks do.

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
But if you are still diet only why should you hypo? Your body won't let you.
Sent you a message on the stream about bread, I would appreciate your input about dealing with type two through diet only
Thanks
LAR

glucose kid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think that comment about Hypo applied to me. I am nowhere near as experience as many on this forum. I did however follow Dr Micheal Mosley's 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet, when first diagnosed in Feb 2016, Dr suggested Metformin but I refused. At the end of the 8 weeks I had lost one and a half stones in weight and my average BG reading had reduced from 17 mmol/L to average of 6.5 mmol/L. In my humble opinion well worth looking at as it certainly worked for me. Hope this helps.

Reactions: LAR