Exercise on prescription

HEG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask if anyone has been prescribed exercise by their doctor? My husband was offered with his initial diagnosis of diabetes type 2 but declined. I am also type 2 diet control since sept 2015 but hasn't had this offer. Is it a new incentive bythe NHS? What does it involve?

Reactions: Freema
S

Shar67

My husband had exercise by prescription, he was referred to local leisure centre.
He was weighed and had a programme of exercise tailored to him. He did 1 hour 2 days cardio, 1 hour 2 days weights and an 1 hours swim for 2 days.
He was referred as he has high blood pressure, the course was for 12 weeks, he was weighed and BP taken every 2 weeks. At the end he was offered a discount to join centre, which he did, he started to get a lower back pain. GP offered a course of low impact exercise so he went to pilates for 6 weeks.
He has also been lower carbing and has dropped 2 clothing sizes.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep , the same as the above, 12 weeks of tailored exercise at the local council leisure center..

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have never been offered excercise

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would have loved to have been offered this on prescription. I would have bitten their hand off! However i have managed quite well left to my own devices.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask if anyone has been prescribed exercise by their doctor? My husband was offered with his initial diagnosis of diabetes type 2 but declined. I am also type 2 diet control since sept 2015 but hasn't had this offer. Is it a new incentive bythe NHS? What does it involve?

No I haven´t been offered that , but it would make perfectly fine meaning as if one strength excercise ones maximum with all major mucles one can get ones insuline resistance down with as much as 30% and thats a lot...

there are a lot of theories that the very sedentary lifestyle is very much atributing to making people diabetic type 2 and if that is a true fact ... why shoudn´t society demand that those that can do take that kind of treatment into their strategies as well as just eating pill and doing food restricktions..

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
I was never offered this option either and now pay £35 a month for a gym membership

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
You can always Google your local community gyms and see if they do a referral program, I have two that are local, last year my G.P would have done a 12 week referral, however both are up hills and my hips and back are knackered and I couldn't get up to either of them on a regular basis.

I joined a 24hr gym and go most days, hips and back are still knackered but at least it's a flat walk to and from gym, costs £13.99 a month and is very good value.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If one has a totally sedentary lifestyle and it is know to contribute to getting diabetes... I think it is a widespread idea that it does, then it would not be too much to expect people to do their part in trying to get more healthy again, when society helps with so much else healthcare hospitals and medicine....

should it really be society paying everything for people .... I can understand if one is mentally ill or handicapped and have to have support to get out and moving or just don´t dare to get out of ones house and or if a person has got no income at all, but really it is for free to go out and take a long walk or learn to run... or take the stairs instead of the elevator or the bike instead of the bus..

besides that I think it is a good idea initially to help people also economically with getting started and maybe coached also if very overweight to what kind of sports is possible when very heavy...

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I've heard of this before - not just for diabetes - personally I think its a good idea - when you think of the money and lives that could be saved by prescribing exercise - when many people wouldn't even think about it. The

HEG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your replies . My husband has high blood pressure, diagnosed type 2 diabetes and suffered kidney stones in the last 6 months so I think the doctor was trying to kick start excerise. He declined and said he will start excerise get on his own terms but this was a couple of weeks ago and it is still spending his spare time watching sport on tv not participating. He is lowering his carbs so small steps I suppose.

jan681

if anyone wants to borrow my bonnnie shes the one on the right of the pix or angus in the middle for a long walk feel free they be well happy even though i cover 2 miles a day with them both lol

LinziC78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I live in Wakefield West Yorkshire and I've got a form from the local council which means I can get a membership to use council gyms, swimming pools and exercise classes. I was referred as my diabetes at the moment is diet controlled so no meds yet, but you can get the form signed for other reasons such as high BMI. It's worth asking your Dr about. I save £4 a month.

Yeknodathon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Darn, fab idea... wonder if I can get Gubnant to fund multiple sessions of weekly fencing, mask and jacket and steel replica military sabre.. could do with a kayak as well.

I'll make a list and have a chat with nersey.