Hair loss

Adeydee95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am just looking to see if anyone has experienced hair loss due to their condition and if so have you found anything that helps?

Chasida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pubs/clubs
I am just looking to see if anyone has experienced hair loss due to their condition and if so have you found anything that helps?
Yes yes YES! I have had lots of hair falling out over about the last 6 months. I mentioned it to my doctor but she didn't link it to either the diabetes or the Metformin but I am convinced it IS linked!
My hair is really thin now, and so far I haven't found a cure I'm afraid :(

Reactions: Freema

pinkbrownie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello - I have no advice but I am experiencing hair loss too and wondered if it was related to this condition. Interested in your answers!

M

mist

Yes, but I thought I was injecting chemo in my sleep again..:p

In all seriousness, I can't say I have noticed any hair loss. Is that a recognised side effect of diabetes? :eek:

Adeydee95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello - I have no advice but I am experiencing hair loss too and wondered if it was related to this condition. Interested in your answers!
I've been researching it for a while and according to everything I've found it is related, just looking to see what other people have done about it and if they've been successful in getting their hair back to normal. I'm going to the doctors tomorrow to try and get some information so will keep you posted on what I find out

Adeydee95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, but I thought I was injecting chemo in my sleep again..:p

In all seriousness, I can't say I have noticed any hair loss. Is that a recognised side effect of diabetes? :eek:
According to the research I've done it is possible

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well maybe it can have that effect ...I don´t know, but now I have read that so many different places..

but another reason could be;
1. when becomming diabetic a lot of us changed our eating habbits totally and maybe therefor we have gotten some deficiencies that we didn´t have before..
2. some diabetics have also some troubles with hypothyroidism a too low metabolism and it is wellknown to cause hair loss

Reactions: JohnEGreen and mist
M

mist

According to the research I've done it is possible

3oz8xOCu2uNFYJsZEI.gif

M

mist

well maybe it can have that effect ...I don´t know, but now I have read that so many different places..

but another reason could be;
1. when becomming diabetic a lot of us changed our eating habbits totally and maybe therefor we have gotten some deficiencies that we didn´t have before..
2. some diabetics have also some troubles with hypothyroidism a too low metabolism and it is wellknown to cause hair loss

Dr Freema :D

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been researching it for a while and according to everything I've found it is related, just looking to see what other people have done about it and if they've been successful in getting their hair back to normal. I'm going to the doctors tomorrow to try and get some information so will keep you posted on what I find out

that sounds responsible... I hope you get an answer.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

here is some Scientific dokument... about insuline resistance causing hair loss... but you´ll have to read it yourself...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19341939

insuline resistance should be helped a little by taking metformin , but I consider it wisest to look on metformin as a stick to lean at , it actually only help very little in the whole picture...as most of the Work we must do ourself by excercising and lowering our carbs as much as possible ...

M

mist

Being bald is no big deal anyway. I was bald at 15 and girls just loved my egg head..bwahahaha :p:D

#SlapHead

Chasida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pubs/clubs
I hope your doctor is more helpful than mine was! All she said to me was "Oh, my brother's losing his hair too. You could try Regain but it's expensive and we don't prescribe it I'm afraid" When I asked if it was due to my diabetes or Metformin drugs she just said she has never heard of any link :(

Adeydee95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope your doctor is more helpful than mine was! All she said to me was "Oh, my brother's losing his hair too. You could try Regain but it's expensive and we don't prescribe it I'm afraid" When I asked if it was due to my diabetes or Metformin drugs she just said she has never heard of any link :(
She said it is closely linked to that, they will be double checking my iron and thyroid but if they are fine she said it is definitely the diabetes, I was given prescribed ointment to try and help in the meantime

Chasida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pubs/clubs
She said it is closely linked to that, they will be double checking my iron and thyroid but if they are fine she said it is definitely the diabetes, I was given prescribed ointment to try and help in the meantime
It WILL be the diabetes. I am sure of it since my iron and thyroid are fine, all my vital organs are too and I've no deficiency in any vitamins or minerals either, so it leads me to summize that only the diabetes can have affected my hair. On a brighter note though, I have noticed no hair loss the last twice that I've washed my hair, so it is hopefully settling down at last!

Adeydee95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It WILL be the diabetes. I am sure of it since my iron and thyroid are fine, all my vital organs are too and I've no deficiency in any vitamins or minerals either, so it leads me to summize that only the diabetes can have affected my hair. On a brighter note though, I have noticed no hair loss the last twice that I've washed my hair, so it is hopefully settling down at last!
Aww that's great that it seems to be settling down, I've just went out to get a head peice in the meantime as I only have a small amount of hair left at the moment and its not possible to hide

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My hair became very sparse after my radioiodine treatment for hyperthyroidism and I became suddenly dramatically hyPOthyroid. Once my thyroxine levels were sorted the problem stopped.