Meter reading differences. Why?

Franky69uk

I have been using an Accu-Chek compact meter for over five weeks testing regularly each day. Recently a friend gave me an Accu-chek Aviva meter together with a supply of strips. So this morning I decided to check the readings provided by both meters. The before midday meal readings were;
Accu-Chek Compact 5.5
Accu-Chek Aviva 6.1
I'm puzzled as to why there is a discrepancy. Both tests were taken within seconds of each other. Furthermore what am I to read into this? Is one meter reading too low or on the other hand is the other meter reading too high? I am really considering switching totally to the Aviva meter mainly becuase I can get strips free making a considerable cost saving over the Compact.
Anyone any thought to offer on this?
Frank

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Frank :)

The meters are not 100% accurate and only have to be within 20% - if I recall correctly. :roll:

This has been discussed many times on this site and apparently there are more accurate meters available but at a price; both an arm and a leg I believe! :shock:

Best to stick with just the one meter so that you have consistency and know where you are.To pick the one for which you can get free strips would be a cunning plan! :D

Franky69uk

HI Sue.. sorry that I've dug up an old topic.. have followed your suggested threads and indeed found that the topic has been discussed at length so I should have done a little more research before listing. :oops: The Aviva meter was given to me by a close friend who is Diabetic 1. He sent it to me with 150 strips and tells me he can get as many strips as he needs. So he's told me to just let him know when I get low on strips. So obviously I have got to switch to the Aviva. Surprisinlgy enough when I did the before dinner test they both came up with the same score..5.9.
Anyway thanks for your imput . I'm really grateful for it.
Frank