Longhaul Flights Diabetic condition

bmdive

My wife is type 1 diabetic and we are due to fly to the USA in the next 2 weeks from the UK. Dispite having made the trip on several occasions (40+ times), allthough the last 3 years ago she is quite distressed by whole affair. Stress levels are high and I cant seem to carm her with the reasurance that all will be OK.

Whilst I am aware that time differences have to be dealt with as she injects a base in the evening which is then supported by fast acting during the day, please could somebody advise or give some assurance that a 9 hour flight will be OK or am I missing something and she should not be making the trip.

Many thanks for all responses, they are gratefully received.

terribarry

I can understand her concern, I flew to Japan last November and was concerned re: my insulin dosage and the time changes. I am on an insulin pump so it was probably slightly easier for me. My doctor advised me to change the time on my pump when I was in flight. My advise is to contact her doctor, let him/her know that she is traveling and will be changing time while in flight. What does he advise, and make sure she has plenty of supplies to go with her. Here in the states we have gluclose tablets, I carry them with me always. Three of them equal 15 grams of carb. to treat insulin reactions. If they are not available, get some packets of honey that can work too if she starts to feel like she is having an insulin reaction, she can stir them into her tea or coffee to be less obvious too. Also, contact the airline and let them know she is diabetic, they will be glad to stock some oj and whatever she requires. They would prefer to be prepared than have a medical emergency on board.

Let her know I made both my flights without any problems! In fact my trip went so well I am contemplating a trip to Russia! Hope this helps.

JANROU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always carry jelly babies on me as 4-5 =20g carb which is what i generally need to cover my hypo and nobody thinks anything if you start eating sweets. I have done a few long haul flights when on MDI and found that changing to the new time zone on the flight and testing loads has kept me within a reasonable range. Now concerned as i'm on a pump and will have to see what happens now. Have a lovely trip.

JP1980

Dislikes
Hypos!
I fly quite a lot long haul, I just a good regime of keep testing and trying to eat as normal and it gets me through. The airline meals have improved somewhat over the years, I don't order special meals as I am T1...last special meal I had was when I was a kid, they were rubbish so didn't bother the next time!
Emergency galaxy bar in my laptop bag is always a winner!

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
test, test and then test again! it's the only way with type 1 :) I lived in the US for a few years and experienced lots of long haul flights back and forth to the UK. There is usually some kind of 'issue' as in highs or lows but I find the more I test the less problems I have. The long acting timing with MDI is usually the toughest part so testing and correcting with quick acting is key.

Good luck :D

lilibet

Not been long haul recently but did have flight from hell last year, couldnt land cause of a storm, redirected three times (inc to airport baggage area, where there was no food or drink)and didnt get on land and into (emergency) hotel until 20 hours after Id got out of bed to catch the flight. And , to top it all, Id only moved to basal bolus two weeks before it :shock:

But I coped.

If its bolus insulin then you of course just take it when eat. Out of interst I ordered the diabetic meal and looked forward to grapes, melons, potatoes and pasta. Also crackers, bread roll.
Not worth it . It was low fat at best and OH meal was eaten instead. So in future Id just take stuff on for myself if possible. If not, muddle through with whats there

In terms of timings, what I did was keep my phone on GMT , but change my watch to 'real' time. That way I could compare my usual timings for basal. I split mine so managed to muddle through as a result of this, slowly moving the time over the first couple of days to a more suitable time.

If its a one shot basal, maybe get her to start changing the time before she goes so its a bit better for stateside times.

Agree re testing though -only way to check if all ok
Re food - choc hob nobs are BRILLIANT for flights. The oats slow the chocolate down in terms of absorption and a mini hob nob might be enough to keep her on an even keel whilst she sleeps on the flight etc without having to overtake carbs or sugar, thereby getting high readings

I also like Cadburys mini eggs- but more for hypos per se (I will be***** if I waste a hypo on glucose tablets :lol: )

SarahW

Hi

I know how she feels, I was the same the first time I flew to the states after I was diagnosed. She really will be ok. Just keep testing throughout the flight and act accordingly. Flying back overnight is a little weird and may screw up her background for a day but hey whats a day in your life! We normally fly during the day so it doesnt have any effect on me at all really, sometimes end up a little high after a long first day, but soon sorted the next day. Dont know where your going but we always go to florida so I have to watch as the heat does make me hypo pretty quickly so always have something with you just in case, I know common sense but easily to get caught out when you just nip down in your flip flops for a drink and oops I have forgotten my lucozade tablets.

Have a great time :)