do I need to eat

raineuk

Often my bs goes above eight. When this happens can I miss a meal or two until my bs return to normal. If not, why not.
Cheers guys

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi raineuk :)

I don't know anything about insulin use but commonsense tells me that most things have a reason - so - when do your numbers reach 8 and what diet do you follow?

If you give a bit more info there will assuredly be someone along to help. 8)

In any case missing meals does not sound a good plan since your levels could then start yo-yoing. From my base of very little knowledge there seems to be an imbalance between carbs and insulin? :? Hopefully an insulin user will be along shortly to help. :)

dollydreamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tories
hi
don't know the answer but am interested in the answer if and when you get it.
all i know is that i eat small amounts every 4 hours, say 8am 12noon 4pm and 8pm with no fruit after 6pm (i can have a snack in between 4 hours - every 2 hours) and
if i go longer than this then my bs drops to a low level like 4.6 and i start shaking and feel sick and dizzy then i have to eat food very quickly and end up consuming a lot of food also i am newly diagnosed and have started a very strict low carb menu and have cut my food intake down drastically and my body is slowly adjusting to having less food but it seems that even though i have sufficient energy (i.e i am very overweight) that even if i eat nothing, my bs goes up so i have learnt that i eat a little and often of the right foods for me (tested loads) i feel better and my bs doesn't jump within a big range, infact the average is falling. So for me even if i didn't eat my bs would go up and then eventually go down but i would feel ill so its not an exact science but keeping regular eating habits - i feel is kinda like insurance against the highs and lows
hope this helps
bye for now

lilibet

It very much depends on a variety of factors. Your insulin or other medication regime, what you ate, how long ago you ate, what you can tolerate etc etc.

So If I was over 8, because my basal insulin is set correctly it wouldnt move even if I didnt eat. If it was over 8 two hours after eating, I would need to wait to see what it was at 4 hours before deciding whether to correct. Sometimes I get horrible spikes in bg but If was to correct at the 1 hour or so point, that would be stacking insulin unnecessarily but after 3 hours I wouldnt expect much more of a drop and would be happy to correct it. If not eating brings it down to any great degree then your insulin is not right (on basal bolus).

If you are on oral meds - then you need to look at what you are eating and/or test what food is doing what to your bg. I dont know if not eating would bring it down or not, I suspect it might a wee bit. A brisk walk might be better to help.

Tell us more and we might be more specific

@dollydreamer. No diabetic should 'have' to eat if their medication is correct, far less eat every four hours. If you do, something needs adjusted. Any change in diet sometimes needs a change in meds.

Only premixed insulin gives this kind of compulsion to eat to prevent lows, but even this can be cut to minimise it a bit

raineuk

hi guys and thanks for the replies. My medication is metformin 750 X2, glimpirid 4 mg and recently levemir injection. The thing is when I was placed on levemir I had to keep adding and adding units until I was on 100 units a day. Not wanting to have three injections a day I started to search the web and found the carb solution. Being 6 foot and sixteen stone I found it very hard to stop eating bread and the such like. But now after 1 month on very low carb diet I'm 15 1/2 stone and down to 64 units of levemir a day (and still falling). I'm still experimenting with food hence my bs fluctuating. For instance, Lizis Granola with milk sent my bs to 13 from 5. Milk is a big no no for me. Even with white tea or coffee bs will rise three units. My bloods are normally 4 to 7 with a morning fasting of 3 to 5 hence the levemir being reduced. I have three meals a day my last between 8 and 9 pm. I occasionally snack on raw mushrooms and things like prok scratchings 0.1 carbs and odd slices of cheese. if I become peckish.