Hello there

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Crowds
My name is Allanah, I was diagnosed febuary 19th, this year, that's just about 9 months ago and I'm still reeling from it. Type 1, it's in my family, I knew it 6 months before I diagnosed and I fought so hard to try and prove that symptoms were everything but. I changed my diet, I cut out a lot of unhealthy food, started exercising like crazy, and I thought maybe, just maybe, when I started to lose weight, that I was winning, I had no idea diabetes could also result in weight loss. No idea. I reached 135 and felt so proud, but the symptoms? They weren't going away. Time to fess up to a doctor. Week later? Yep. Woo hoo. Hospital trip ahoy? I spent two days in a row getting water dripped into my veins because my blood sugar's were through the roof, they eventually had to put me on some sort of chill pill, can't recall the name, I was freaking out. Mentally, I'm not very good with people. I'm horrible with them, scared, frightened, the real world? Scary? So for someone who hasn't been in the hospital since she tore her knew open as a kid (and I can't even remember that) this was a huge leap. One week later after I was supposedly balanced I took a personal trip out to see family and had a panic attack because I couldn't handle being out in public because I was now taking humalog three times a day, lantus at night, scared of needles, scared of people, taking a shot, even hidden in a bathroom stall, having fought so hard against the inevitable, I felt suffocated by poor sewage, people and the suddenly mass amount of medication i was taking and the cost of the medication I was surrounded with, with, everything. I've seen a therapist since, I've somewhat recovered, but broken doesn't describe it, I feel detached every time I have to take a shot, I have to take ibuprofen sometimes with my massive night shots. Gotta work out my people phobia, I've certainly gotten over my fear of needles, but I've put back that weight on, even though my diet is healthier than before, I'm still working out, I, I'm just reaching out and I'm sorry for this rant but by goodness it's good to get it out.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi and welcome to the forum. This is a safe place to ask questions, vent your feelings, and get the support, help, and acceptance you need from others that have been where you are now.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @rottengodwottery :)

Yes, being diagnosed with Type 1 is a huge shock. What helped me was understanding it wasn't my fault and that Type 1 is an auto immune disease.

It is hard going out in public at first. We all understand what a struggle it can be. There are lots of friendly people here who can offer support or just 'listen' :)

Reactions: callyandy

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome @rottengodwottery. Nice to have you here with us.
Calgary........ sounds rugged, exciting and somewhere you should always strive to visit.
As for people, well we can all be a bit overrated but if we are honest to ourselves things generally turn out okay.
Be yourself, be happy, be proud and keep posting.

Sauron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morons
My name is Allanah, I was diagnosed febuary 19th, this year, that's just about 9 months ago and I'm still reeling from it. Type 1, it's in my family, I knew it 6 months before I diagnosed and I fought so hard to try and prove that symptoms were everything but. I changed my diet, I cut out a lot of unhealthy food, started exercising like crazy, and I thought maybe, just maybe, when I started to lose weight, that I was winning, I had no idea diabetes could also result in weight loss. No idea. I reached 135 and felt so proud, but the symptoms? They weren't going away. Time to fess up to a doctor. Week later? Yep. Woo hoo. Hospital trip ahoy? I spent two days in a row getting water dripped into my veins because my blood sugar's were through the roof, they eventually had to put me on some sort of chill pill, can't recall the name, I was freaking out. Mentally, I'm not very good with people. I'm horrible with them, scared, frightened, the real world? Scary? So for someone who hasn't been in the hospital since she tore her knew open as a kid (and I can't even remember that) this was a huge leap. One week later after I was supposedly balanced I took a personal trip out to see family and had a panic attack because I couldn't handle being out in public because I was now taking humalog three times a day, lantus at night, scared of needles, scared of people, taking a shot, even hidden in a bathroom stall, having fought so hard against the inevitable, I felt suffocated by poor sewage, people and the suddenly mass amount of medication i was taking and the cost of the medication I was surrounded with, with, everything. I've seen a therapist since, I've somewhat recovered, but broken doesn't describe it, I feel detached every time I have to take a shot, I have to take ibuprofen sometimes with my massive night shots. Gotta work out my people phobia, I've certainly gotten over my fear of needles, but I've put back that weight on, even though my diet is healthier than before, I'm still working out, I, I'm just reaching out and I'm sorry for this rant but by goodness it's good to get it out.
Hi and Welcome to the forums and please remember you are not alone