Viv0147

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
there isn't much I dislike maybe rude and aggressive people
IT CAN BE DONE

I was first diagnosed with diabetes 2 in 2011, I am male 63 at that time. I knew very little about it and I wasn’t that worried I was prescribed tablets and I wrongfully assumed nothing more to worry about.

At the time I was 17 stone I realized I needed to do something about my weight so I made a few half-hearted attempts to diet but life just went on as usual.

As the years went by there was more being said about diabetes and the amputation and blindness and I was starting to become alarmed, well in April 2015 I was 16 stone 3lbs at that time my BMI was 33.5 which = Obese, after having my annual check the diabetic nurse said to me there was concern about my blood sugar it was 19 and they had already increased my metformin to 4 a day she said we may have to start you on insulin which hit me like a hammer! The fear of losing a limb or going blind became real and as I live alone in an upstairs flat if any of that happened I would lose my flat and my independence the thought of that horrified me.

So on the way home I decided I would have to make a real effort into understanding the disease and if it wasn’t to late to do what I could to control it, well I started doing research on the internet and soon found diabetes.co.uk which had so much information it was wonderful, so after reading the forums and seeing so many people like me and the encouragement I was getting reading of peoples successes and especially the weight loss people were achieving, and being able to control their blood sugar levels I decided it was time to act.

So I went on a low carb high fat diet and using myfittnesspal to work out my carbs etc. and to my delight it has worked! Its November 2016 my age 68 I now weigh 11 Stone 7 lbs. my BMI is 23.7 = a healthy weight. My blood sugar is now normal although I am still taking my meds I am hoping the Doctor will take me off them eventually so if you’re reading this there is hope.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Well done @Viv0147 What a brilliant turnaround on your health, thank you for sharing, people need to know it can be done ;)

Reactions: Viv0147

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! well done @Viv0147 If you're on Metformin I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to ditch them, they deliver other benefits

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good to show it is never necessarily too late.

Metformin may have been around for a long time but how it works and its wider beneficial effects are still being investigated.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Over 35% weight loss without going on a retreat and I presume personal training and the like, amazing and well done. Did you also have high blood pressure.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Well done Viv, you are a bl**dy marvel. That is a fantastic achievement yaay!

Viv0147

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
there isn't much I dislike maybe rude and aggressive people
Over 35% weight loss without going on a retreat and I presume personal training and the like, amazing and well done. Did you also have high blood pressure.
No, my blood pressure was fine, but I have a pacemaker! Exercise I didn't do.

Reactions: kokhongw

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IT CAN BE DONE

I was first diagnosed with diabetes 2 in 2011, I am male 63 at that time. I knew very little about it and I wasn’t that worried I was prescribed tablets and I wrongfully assumed nothing more to worry about.

At the time I was 17 stone I realized I needed to do something about my weight so I made a few half-hearted attempts to diet but life just went on as usual.

As the years went by there was more being said about diabetes and the amputation and blindness and I was starting to become alarmed, well in April 2015 I was 16 stone 3lbs at that time my BMI was 33.5 which = Obese, after having my annual check the diabetic nurse said to me there was concern about my blood sugar it was 19 and they had already increased my metformin to 4 a day she said we may have to start you on insulin which hit me like a hammer! The fear of losing a limb or going blind became real and as I live alone in an upstairs flat if any of that happened I would lose my flat and my independence the thought of that horrified me.

So on the way home I decided I would have to make a real effort into understanding the disease and if it wasn’t to late to do what I could to control it, well I started doing research on the internet and soon found diabetes.co.uk which had so much information it was wonderful, so after reading the forums and seeing so many people like me and the encouragement I was getting reading of peoples successes and especially the weight loss people were achieving, and being able to control their blood sugar levels I decided it was time to act.

So I went on a low carb high fat diet and using myfittnesspal to work out my carbs etc. and to my delight it has worked! Its November 2016 my age 68 I now weigh 11 Stone 7 lbs. my BMI is 23.7 = a healthy weight. My blood sugar is now normal although I am still taking my meds I am hoping the Doctor will take me off them eventually so if you’re reading this there is hope.
really good mate congrats keep up the good work

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Viv0147 - I can recall you arriving here. Boy, do you look and "sound" so different now. I'm so very pleased for you.

Well done the man from Wales.

Dubh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
IT CAN BE DONE

Well done keep it up, I'm type 1 and have just lost 2.5 stone on a low carb. Very interesting regarding your low carb high fat diet. Again well done

Reactions: Freema and Viv0147

lynnstorm1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
IT CAN BE DONE

I was almost 20 stone in June 2014, thanks to Slimming World I am now 6st lighter, and I've in theory reversed my diabetes, I am still 1Metformin a day as a maintenance dose, which I'm not bothered, without that I wouldn't btw able to afford my prescriptions! Lowered my blood pressure as well, sadly the only thing it hasn't helped is the pain I have from fibromyalgia and arthritis. I had replacement 20 month ago, and now diagnosed with severe arthritis in my lower spine, trading the sciatic nerve.

Jillytee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
IT CAN BE DONE

So encouraging for new type 2's like me, only 8 weeks since diagnosis I've lost 19 lbs so far on LCHF diet, not on any medication and pretty much making it up as I go along as zero advice from GP surgery other than eye screening and a pending day course and a see you in six months... Interested to find out more about the diet, how many/few carbs I should have and any tips or ideas.

cusally

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Crowds, noisy places
Viv, well done that man ! you did it your way, and it is so encouraging to know it can be done by your own investigation.

Jillytee I too am trying to do it my own way of exploring the LCHF diet without using fixed recipes or foodplans, I read somewhere on the forum that a low carb diet is around 50g of carbs per day, which is what I now aim for, less than 20g is considered very low carb and brings other concerns into play, so I am happy to do 40 - 60g per day. I got a fitbit which you put all your food intake into, and the end of each day it summarises carbs, protein etc so there is no tedious totting up ! I beleive other diet apps do the same. I am losing weight, not steadily, in jumps and stops which is odd as i am seeing visible waistline changes.
I'm waiting till my next blood test at GP before I put my results on here, as i am not monitoring it and i keep forgetting to take my metformin. While I am losing weight I'm not too concerned.

Reactions: Freema and Jillytee

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really well done. It takes a lot of time, effort and sheer determination to do what you have done. I am following the same lchf route and have lost around 23kgs so far but still a way to go although all bs readings are good now. It was the thought of the possibility of the same things you mention which finally spurred me on to change my life.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done, Viv.
You're clearly done incredibly well to turn your life around in that way :)

I'm waiting till my next blood test at GP before I put my results on here, as i am not monitoring it and i keep forgetting to take my metformin. While I am losing weight I'm not too concerned.
In spite of the usual advice from Diabetes Nurses that Type 2s don't need to test, I would strongly advise you to buy yourself a Glucometer and test immediately before a meal (for baseline) and then again at 2 hours after you started your meal. Compare the two readings to check that you're not raising your Glucose level too much (ie try to keep it within less that 3.0 rise, ideally). Also, it can be useful to test at 1 hour after starting your meal, in case you've missed a quick spike. Only by testing can you learn what foods are OK for you and what aren't OK. Obviously, you don't need to test everyday. There's no 'rule' as to how often.

SD CodeFree is generally very popular based on price and price of the test strips and is reliable. There's no obligation to get this one, or any other, of course. Purely an individual choice ;)

Well done, though :)

meeat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
being overweight, wet feet, and being cold
I have been diagnosed today as being type 2 diabetic.
I was interested to read your report and was even more surprised to read you did it on a low Carb higher fat diet. Is that similar to the Atkins diet?
I have joined weight watchers but it is not inspiring me as all.

Reactions: Freema and SWUSA_