Food - Chia Seeds?

Kafalf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone know about chia seeds and carbs? Are they good or not?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chia seeds have a high fibre content so you don't actually digest most of the carbs. Not that you eat lots of chia seeds anyway, to my knowledge. I have a teaspoon per day along with a teaspoon of linseed in my porridge every day. I also put a teaspoon in smoothies. I guess some people would use more but they are more or less indigestible and you won't spike using them. People eat them because of the fibre, vitamins and oil content. They are not a starchy food.

Reactions: Prem51

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you soak them in coconut milk for around 12 hours, they make a nice pudding - if you Google you'll find all kinds of flavours/recipes for chia pudding. The package I have has the following nutritional info: 1 serving of 15g has 67 calories, 0.7g carbs, 3.1g protein, 4.7g fat - most of that is Omega 3 (2.9g), Omega 6 (1.2g). Fibre is 5.6g.

Reactions: Liam1955 and Prem51

Kafalf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chia seeds have a high fibre content so you don't actually digest most of the carbs. Not that you eat lots of chia seeds anyway, to my knowledge. I have a teaspoon per day along with a teaspoon of linseed in my porridge every day. I also put a teaspoon in smoothies. I guess some people would use more but they are more or less indigestible and you won't spike using them. People eat them because of the fibre, vitamins and oil content. They are not a starchy food.
Thanks, I'll give them a go

Kafalf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you soak them in coconut milk for around 12 hours, they make a nice pudding - if you Google you'll find all kinds of flavours/recipes for chia pudding. The package I have has the following nutritional info: 1 serving of 15g has 67 calories, 0.7g carbs, 3.1g protein, 4.7g fat - most of that is Omega 3 (2.9g), Omega 6 (1.2g). Fibre is 5.6g.
Thanks for this info

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I bought a kg pack of chia seeds last year after reading about them on this forum. I still haven't opened it. I'll have to get them out and try adding them to my porridge in the morning.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I add a heaped teaspoon of chia seed to an occasional hot chocolate (Cadbury's Highlights) - it makes it really gloopy and filling. I count the hot chocolate as 10g CHO.

Have also been known to add coconut oil and a square of dark chocolate - very indulgent - shhhhhh.......

And it's an excellent thickener if you're making puddings - I add it to coconut cream, yoghurt, cocoa and Splenda. I sort of count the chia carbs by rounding it up, if you see what I mean - they don't have much of an effect on my blood sugar.

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
Large tablespoon every morning on my cereal!

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I add them daily to my breakfast. They are also a super food and one of the best sources of important nutrients and are loaded with antioxidents too.

Reactions: mo53

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
have you not got to be careful if you are on blood pressure tablets or asprin? I'm sure I read somewhere you have to be, its one of the reasons I have hardly used mine

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Chia seeds apparently are very good for you, you can have them in water
I am going to try them soaked in coconut milk(Indy51 suggestion-thank you) & I will take it to work tomorrow for a snack

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Does anyone know about chia seeds and carbs? Are they good or not?
I opened my pack of chia seeds (organic dark) soaked some overnight in Almond Milk and added them to my porridge this morning. Gave it a nice nutty texture. I'll try making the chia puddings.

The nutritional info on my pack says it has 37.5 gms of carbs per 100 gms, of which 33.7 gms is dietary fibre, so less than 4 gms of digestible carbs.

Last edited:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I opened my pack of chia seeds (organic dark) soaked some overnight in Almond Milk and added them to my porridge this morning. Gave it a nice nutty texture. I'll try making the chia puddings.

So your meant to soak them @Prem51

I like seeds in my morning porridge and tried Chia seeds once but found them to be too hard, will remember your tip for the next time :)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I buy Linwoods milled chia seeds rather than using the seeds themselves - the milled ones are very user-friendly and do the 'gel' thing really really quickly.

I found the tiny whole seeds I tried a nightmare due to the static electricity from the packaging - they were ending up everywhere.....

:woot:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@noblehead You can just add them dry but as you say they are a bit hard and gritty then. If you soak them for a few hours in whatever milk you use, or water, they will soften and have a texture more like semolina.

Reactions: noblehead

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I found the tiny whole seeds I tried a nightmare due to the static electricity from the packaging - they were ending up everywhere.....

:woot:

I decanted mine from the pouch into a glass jar.

Reactions: Snapsy

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So your meant to soak them @Prem51

I like seeds in my morning porridge and tried Chia seeds once but found them to be too hard, will remember your tip for the next time :)

Yes, because they expand in liquid, Nigel!
There is a warning on the pack I buy (Waitrose) not to exceed 15g a day

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@noblehead You can just add them dry but as you say they are a bit hard and gritty then. If you soak them for a few hours in whatever milk you use, or water, they will soften and have a texture more like semolina.

That's the word I was looking for 'gritty'.

Thanks for the info @Prem51

edit, also @poshtotty

Reactions: Snapsy and Prem51