lost weight

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I am 1year into my diabetes 3 montths of trying very hard to keep bs down 26 at dx around 7 now also trying very hard to put weight on 40 k then just under 40k now! Will all those who keep losing stones tell me where they lost them then I can go and search.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Carty,

I am sure this is where a good dietitian will be invaluable, they will discuss with you foods to eat that may overcome this problem.

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Carty.
If you are trying to put weight on I am not sure that going low carb (which is in your profile) is your best way forwards....??? That may control Bg levels but you still need something filling and that will help you put on weight.

40kgs is very low....have you seen your GP and asked about something that could help you with this ? I once needed to rapidly gain weight for a job medical I was attending.......I was prescribed some sort of supplement which did the trick and helped me get my chosen career, then after eating regular meals for around three months I was then fit as a flea and fighting fit too as I also had plenty of exercise along with the food. You could possibly benefit from seeing a Dietician too, someone who can take everything into account

I have lost over 5 stone which is scattered around all over the place, you are welcome to them if you can find them........ :lol: :wink:

Ken

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to misinform I am limiting carbs but not low carbing now I have porrage for breakfast with lots of cream fruit to sweeten walnuts and cinnamon.I dont eat pasta rice or white bread but i do have granary toast occasionaly I have been to see a dietiitien at my request she was very helpful I am due to see her again in a couple of weeks ,but unless I find one of those stones I dont know what to do. Fortunately I feel well except for a very occasional sick episode due to metformin .This is much better now on slow release met Thanks for your help any other sugestions will be gratefully recieved. CAROL

justfoundout

Dislikes
Bullies
I'm T2 and I do low carb but have to work hard to keep my weight stable. If I'm not careful I can lose 7 lbs in a week. What works for me is eating lots of cheese, making low carb bread & biscuits, nuts, cream. That's what works for me to keep up the calories and it means I really enjoy
my diet. M

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
I have now managed to stabilise my weight with cheese, cream and nuts - hurrah! No longer looking haggard! :D

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done synonym I am jealous :!: Ihave been to dietitian again a different one unfortunately .She sugested taking a food supplement to be prescribed by GP .I asked her if she would ask him if I could have strips to check how these would affect my BGS .GP had stopped my strips saying it wasnt what I ate that affected BGS it was the meds :?: We will see what happens watch this space. CAROL

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Carol :)

It is SO difficult isn't it! I am aware that I have to be careful not to overcook it and end up putting weight ON now! :roll: Life really is a roller coaster! :roll:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
carty said:
GP had stopped my strips saying it wasnt what I ate that affected BGS it was the meds :?: We will see what happens watch this space. CAROL

One hesitates to ask.....was it perhaps the Practice Manager standing in for the GP........whoever it was has no knowledge of Diabetes and certainly no knowledge of what carbohydrates are and what they do when ingested ! What a prize idiot. :wink:

You should direct whoever it was to this website.....we can explain it all in simple terms for them. :twisted:

Ken

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No Ken .It was the GP .I was having a telephone consultation(confrontation) I had had strips prescribed for 6 months then the repeat script came back without them .It was the senior partner that had signed the script for the metformin but not the strips :( When I spoke to him on the phone this was when he spoke those famous words! When I asked if it was ok to eat scotch pies and deep fried mars bars he was not impressed :shock: I told him that I wanted to test and I would buy strips he insisted I didnt need to test .Even when I said I would buy my own strips on my pension he wouldnt relent.AH well wait and see what the dieticians letter can do but I am not hopeful.Thanks for your concern. CAROL

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Funny old world isn't it?

Most of us on here are struggling to lose weight and here is someone with the exact opposite problem.

I'd donate a stone from my middle to you if I could. :wink:

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Ardbeg said:
Funny old world isn't it?

Most of us on here are struggling to lose weight and here is someone with the exact opposite problem.

I'd donate a stone from my middle to you if I could. :wink:

Fact is between 15 and 20% of T2s (that's as many as many if not more then the total of T1s) are diagnosed with a BMI in the normal range, the problem being we don't seem to exist, the. assumption being all T2s are overweight. Just try to find any dietary advice for those T2s trying to gain weight! the only thing I can find is a maintenance diet on DUK not really aimed at us but nonetheless the advice is to increase carbohydrates to maintain BMI :? . Those of us needing to gain weight are probably among the most neglected Diabetics in terms of research, we are in the minority but a sizeable one and yet the help we receive is zilch just because we don't fit in with the lifestyle preconception of all T2s.

Skinny T2 HF/LC no meds
Graham

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ardbeg Hi. I would take a stone from your middle but it would look very strange on top of my skinny legs :lol: Thanks for the offer though CAROL

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
It would look no stranger on you than it does on me Carol.

Since starting my low carb regime my hips and bum have all but disappeared and my legs are even skinnier than before. :shock: The area that is proving the most difficult to shift is my middle age spread. :wink: