Dumplings? Friend determined to sabotage Diet

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
As Bluetit states. Take the bull by the horns. It would seem that this is the only way. She obviously does not understand your true predicament. Some years ago I developed an aversion to garlic. It made me violently sick. My family thought it was a put up job until I threw up at a restaurant where we were having a family do. I could, of course, smell garlic as the food was delivered but was assured that there was none on my plate. (This always annoyed my family that I made the no garlic stipulation before I chose the food). Unfortunately the waiter did not take me seriously and I made an ungentlemanly rush for the toilet after the first mouthful. On my return I gave the barely touched plateful back to the waiter. Everyone was embarrassed by the incident. But since then I get no grief. The family and friends have taken it to heart and I love them for it. There are other possible solutions to the problem give above. Try them. Don't give up.
After a year or so of LC and testing and trying new foods I have found that I can now balance my food and BG quite well and have also found that some foods that originally gave problems no longer do so when taken in moderation.(Apple crumble is one of them.);)

I have that throwing up problem with butternut squash but people seem to accept that easier! I guess because allergies are quite common these days, maybe?
My mum was diabetic but used to eat everything regardless, provided her wee sticks were fine the day she went to the nurse on her annual visit according to her it was fine and there was no need to worry about it, she did make it to 83 I suppose but I think that was more luck than judgement. Being an ex nurse it used to wind me up something chronic. But she wouldn't change.
I'm now determined to educate my friends, it may also help my other friend who's in denial about her own diabetes and turn things around for her to. At least I can try.
Maggie

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank's to you all for all your comments, brilliant support and advise, will let you know how it goes.

Reactions: Snapsy

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have been bringe free for a month now, and you know your triggers, then you are doing amazingly well!

Good luck with it all - and please keep posting. I find this forum is one of the biggest things in my life that keeps me in control of my D, and away from those temptations. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that the ideas of a lot of civilians were woken up when those TV documentaries showed rotting feet and amputations. Maybe Googling diabetic feet and taking a couple of screen shots so she can see what you are trying to avoid.

Reactions: mo53 and Freema

Jo123

If I am going to eat round someone's house who doesn't know my dietary restrictions I have a light meal before I go then I just pick at what I can eat. Some people don't get it and if they are good friends I can't be bothered to fall out about it.

If I was invited to an afternoon tea I would politely decline.

Really no biggie not worth wasting your energy worrying about it.

Even my husband felt I was a bit over the top with my diet, although supportive. Then he was diagnosed prediabetic and 'cheated' a few times and was gobsmacked by how high his blood sugar went up. So now he is fully convinced.

Last edited:
Reactions: mo53 and Prem51

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My grandson likes stew he has never liked dumplings when I used to made stew and dumplings I simply left them off his plate.
Ask your friend to do the same,

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've tried pointing out things on the menu when we go out for a meal that I can't, she asks questions but it dosn't sink in. It dosn't help that another friend has also been recently diagnosed type 2, but she's not taking it seriously and still eats everything! So I guess my friend is getting mixed messages.
I guess I'm going to have to be tough, sit them all down together, print off all the information necessary for all of them, produce their own individual packs, try and explain things again with stronger emphasis and hope it finally sinks in.
I think I'm going to have similar problems when it comes to my family, they know but thats as far as it gets, like you their find things out as and when needed, I've already had my sister expecting me not to ask for a diabetic/LCHF diet at her sons wedding as she dosn't want that putting the bill up, caring ahh? But that's another issue for another day.
Thanks for the advise definitely welcomed.
As to the wedding well if it was me I wouldn't worry about one day of eating some carbs just have a small portion of them and among all the other guests no one will notice anyway if you don't eat some of the foods

phoenixlyn

Squire Fulwood, thank you for that video. A very graphic warning to us all, my family really took note! (Diabetic t1 since 1970, no complications so far)

Reactions: Freema

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I can't just eat it, I've been four weeks binge free, I know the only way for me to keep that up is to avoid those foods altogether. I know it's not the same but for me its a bit like being an alcoholic, once I taste them again I loose all control and it can be weeks before I get it back again, so I don't want to risk that.
Also my blood sugars are reasonable at the moment I don't want to jeopodise that either.
I have a goal, which is unlike me, because I've decided to listen to you all and not my D nurse (who tells me once a diabetic always a diabetic), I want to try and reverse this.
Therefore I have to try and sort this problem some how.
I think I've decided, I'm going to sit them all down and re-educate them, until they do understand, I have to treat it like a teaching session and keep plugging away at them..
Thanks for the advise its help me be more determined to do something more drastic about my situation.
Maggie
I've had to reach a compromise when I go the parents for Sunday dinner - on the menu are always Yorkshire puds and potatoes. I compromise, have the Yorkshire puds and only 3 small potatoes. I also take 2 gymnema sylvestre (along with my Glicliazade). (I believe what they do is prevent the carbs from being converted into glucose? A bit of a sneaky trick but sometimes you just can't say no, can you?) Heaven help me when dad starts doing the mashed potato! (PS - know what you mean about the dumplings - mum makes smashing ones - though not recently).

Julesatnotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yesterday I cooked a beef casserole, I soaked the potatoes for a couple of hours in cold water to reduce the starch, I put 3 cloves of garlic in with the onions and meat and slow cooked it for about 2 hours then added the veg which included green peppers, carrots, celery, broccoli, green beans as well as the potatoes, after about 3 more hours I added a handful of red lentils which thickened the casserole and I made suet dumplings with mixed herbs and added them 30 minutes before serving. Bs before was 6.8. 2 hours later 5.6.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I cooked a beef casserole, I soaked the potatoes for a couple of hours in cold water to reduce the starch, I put 3 cloves of garlic in with the onions and meat and slow cooked it for about 2 hours then added the veg which included green peppers, carrots, celery, broccoli, green beans as well as the potatoes, after about 3 more hours I added a handful of red lentils which thickened the casserole and I made suet dumplings with mixed herbs and added them 30 minutes before serving. Bs before was 6.8. 2 hours later 5.6.

Very lucky. What meds are you are?

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Well done for such good BS, I may borrow you recipe if you don't mind as its barely changed your bs's.:happy:

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi All,
Just to up date:
Yesterday I was honest with my friend and told her how I felt. My friend took offence at me suggesting I was going to make her and the others up a pack about diabetes, the diet and recipe suggestions.. Apparently she knows all about type 1 & 2 diabetes already and dosn't need it. She then cancelled the quiz night and future Tuesday lunches then wouldn't talk to me. This morning she did eventually answer my text asking how she was. But that's been it. I have to ask myself if she knows so much about diabetes then why isn't she being more supportive? She bends over backward for another friend who apparently can't eat dairy, but can eat a block of cathedral city cheese? Which I feel is a bit questionable? Iv'e decided to give her some space and see what happens.
Maggie

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, sorry to hear this.
It must be painful.

The following is going to sound really glib, but unfortunately, just because something is glib doesn't make it untrue:

Real friends care enough to listen, even if they disagree.
And they are willing to try and work things out.

I hope giving her some space allows the two of you to do that.

Hug.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm also sorry to hear that. It must be tough for you. I agree you could give her some space, with an occasional friendly text so she knows you haven't taken offence at her attitude. If she is a true friend she will come round. Look on the positive side - it does save you from the anxiety of eating her meals and possibly returning to the binge eating/carb cravings.