Choosing a pump.....HELP!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

After a long wait, I'm at the point where I have to choose my pump. The choices are...

Accu Check Insight
Animas Vibe
Medtronic 640g

I had always assumed I would go for the Insight as the Bluetooth remote seemed a killer feature - however there are obviously a few pros and cons to them all...

Insight....
Has pre-filled cartridges...but only 160 units
Not fully waterproof
Is the remote a little bit unresponsive??
No built in CGM...although I tend to use the Libe (lot cheaper)
Built in BG tester
Have to carry an extra remote
The remote in particular seems a bit flimsy

Animas....
Sees very ruggedly built
Fully waterproof
CGM receiver
Screen a bit old fashioned looking
Self filled vials

Medtronic....
Good looking screen
CGM receiver built in
Waterproof
Can use the Contour Next Link as a basic remote
Can hold up to 300units...albeit self filled

Those are just a few observations I have made as a non pump user who has never owned a pump - just wondering if anyone can chip in with any personal experience about what features are most important....or equally, become the most annoying???

I will be a first time pump user, fairly high insulin requirement, quite technical, Freestyle Libre user.

Thanks,
Dave

Reactions: Sweetheart66

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi @davidhughes1984 I have only ever had the Vibe, but have loved it, and wouldn't change it. The dexcom integration was the primary factor for me, but the customer support has been faultless, and the bolus wizard is brilliant ... meaning I hardly ever really think about it now. I have no negative points I can think of personally but have no experience of the other pumps, so can't really compare I'm afraid.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have the Vibe too and I love it :) I've used pumps for 12 years but at my last pump change I had to make the same choice as you between those three pumps. I was persuaded to have the Insight and hated it. I found it a total faff. To me, it was slow, over-complicated and a nuisance having to recharge the components so often.

I was tempted by the Medtronic initially but I read reports of the clip being weak and people having problems with the casing cracking. That worried me as my previous pump had been tough and totally reliable.

I also hope to be able to afford CGM in the future, and the Dexcom seems to have better reviews than the Medtronic system.

Bearing all those things in mind, I went for the Vibe and haven't regretted my choice at all. It's tough, reliable and I can get on with my life :)

Everyone has different views about pumps and some people are happy with pumps that others dislike, so the choice comes down to you. Read lots and sort out your priorities in your head.

NB - the sets and cannulas are also really important. I recommend you look at those too, especially for reliability and choice, when you're looking at the pumps.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm on the Medtronic 640G and have previously used the Spirit Combo. To be honest, I think they are both pumps that do their job really well. I like the idea of the SmartGuard on the 640G and I'm currently working with the #wearenotwaiting crew to try and work out whether and how we can hook the 640G up into the openAPS framework.

Having spoken to a number of users of the Enlite 2 CGM on the 640G I've been given the impression that it works very well and is comparable to Dexcom, although I'm not using it yet as I've a Dex transmitter to use up first.

In terms of the Cannulas and Sets, the majority of the dedicated Medtronic and Animas sets are made by the same company and therefore operate in the same way although the Vibe has a Luer Lock so you can use the Roche sets for the Spirit Combo on it as well.

I wrote this about selecting a pump. Good luck in your choice!

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The Insight is water proof, think its 1m for 1 hour. Only the vibe claims longer.

I've swum with my Insight and its been fine, always shower with it on.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I looked as you have at all the ups and downs for each pump - the main draw for me was the size, weight (loaded with insulin) and that I needed a remote control when undertaking sports as its not easy to get to my pump.

I chose the insight as it met most of my needs, I did like the vibe with its link to the dexcom but its lack of handset swung it for me towards the Insight.

The Medtronic for me was too heavy and to large.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

After a long wait, I'm at the point where I have to choose my pump. The choices are...

Accu Check Insight
Animas Vibe
Medtronic 640g

I had always assumed I would go for the Insight as the Bluetooth remote seemed a killer feature - however there are obviously a few pros and cons to them all...

Insight....
Has pre-filled cartridges...but only 160 units
Not fully waterproof
Is the remote a little bit unresponsive??
No built in CGM...although I tend to use the Libe (lot cheaper)
Built in BG tester
Have to carry an extra remote
The remote in particular seems a bit flimsy

Animas....
Sees very ruggedly built
Fully waterproof
CGM receiver
Screen a bit old fashioned looking
Self filled vials

Medtronic....
Good looking screen
CGM receiver built in
Waterproof
Can use the Contour Next Link as a basic remote
Can hold up to 300units...albeit self filled

Those are just a few observations I have made as a non pump user who has never owned a pump - just wondering if anyone can chip in with any personal experience about what features are most important....or equally, become the most annoying???

I will be a first time pump user, fairly high insulin requirement, quite technical, Freestyle Libre user.

Thanks,
Dave
@davidhughes1984 , have you sorted which pump yet? I'm in a similar situation and have narrowed my choices to the 640G and the Vibe. I'm edging towards the 640G at the moment as I find it has better displays and easier to navigate around, but the CGM costs are the big put off. The Medtronic system offers loyalty schemes, but at £200+ every month, I can't afford this. The Dexcom (Vibe) is more reasonable (starter pack £250 for transmitter and 4 sensors), then buying individual sensors as required is on a par with the Libre. But, then you have to buy a new transmitter every year ( at £300+ ????) - can anybody confirm if this is correct? I know the G5 is imminent (and a newer Vibe is due in March 2017) but Dexcom have not sorted their pricing out yet (for the UK market anyway).
I may end up carrying on with the Libre and having to manually enter the data into the 640G

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@davidhughes1984 , have you sorted which pump yet? I'm in a similar situation and have narrowed my choices to the 640G and the Vibe. I'm edging towards the 640G at the moment as I find it has better displays and easier to navigate around, but the CGM costs are the big put off. The Medtronic system offers loyalty schemes, but at £200+ every month, I can't afford this. The Dexcom (Vibe) is more reasonable (starter pack £250 for transmitter and 4 sensors), then buying individual sensors as required is on a par with the Libre. But, then you have to buy a new transmitter every year ( at £300+ ????) - can anybody confirm if this is correct? I know the G5 is imminent (and a newer Vibe is due in March 2017) but Dexcom have not sorted their pricing out yet (for the UK market anyway).
I may end up carrying on with the Libre and having to manually enter the data into the 640G

Yes, I went with the Medtronic 640G in the end, after weighing up all the options. I have to say i've been loving it. Screen and operation are nice, I like the fact that the BG meter sends readings automatically to the pump and that I can remote bolus from the meter if needed. The cannulas are mega sticky stay on firmly in the bath.

Set changes are straightforward and simple (takes a few changes to get fast at this.) I think what I didn't like about the Vibe was the screen looked really old fashioned (its an older pump model anyway.) One thing I was worried about was taking out the pump to administer boluses etc - and before I got it, saw the remote options of the Insight and Medtronic as really important - but having lived with it for a few months, I have to say that it is no bother to get pump out of pocket to use. If I had a dedicated remote, like the Insight, it's just another thing to lose, keep charged and carry around all the time - suppose it depends how you wear it. For bed, I bought a little pouch and elastic belt from Medtronic and that has been brilliant - if I get up out of bed in night, don't need to carry pump with me.

In terms of sensors, before I went onto the pump I saw them as being really important (with insulin constantly flowing into me) - but after a few months of adjusting levels and rates, I rarely have a hypo anymore and am honestly less bothered about having sensors. My plan is just to get a few Libres from time to time to help with basal rate testing or when I go on holiday etc and have different routines.

If there is anything about the Medtronic you want to know, let me know!

Dave

Reactions: asa35

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I went with the Medtronic 640G in the end, after weighing up all the options. I have to say i've been loving it. Screen and operation are nice, I like the fact that the BG meter sends readings automatically to the pump and that I can remote bolus from the meter if needed. The cannulas are mega sticky stay on firmly in the bath.

Set changes are straightforward and simple (takes a few changes to get fast at this.) I think what I didn't like about the Vibe was the screen looked really old fashioned (its an older pump model anyway.) One thing I was worried about was taking out the pump to administer boluses etc - and before I got it, saw the remote options of the Insight and Medtronic as really important - but having lived with it for a few months, I have to say that it is no bother to get pump out of pocket to use. If I had a dedicated remote, like the Insight, it's just another thing to lose, keep charged and carry around all the time - suppose it depends how you wear it. For bed, I bought a little pouch and elastic belt from Medtronic and that has been brilliant - if I get up out of bed in night, don't need to carry pump with me.

In terms of sensors, before I went onto the pump I saw them as being really important (with insulin constantly flowing into me) - but after a few months of adjusting levels and rates, I rarely have a hypo anymore and am honestly less bothered about having sensors. My plan is just to get a few Libres from time to time to help with basal rate testing or when I go on holiday etc and have different routines.

If there is anything about the Medtronic you want to know, let me know!

Dave
That's really helpful @davidhughes1984 , many thanks. You've told me everything I hoped you would and I think the 640G will be my choice. The CGM's, I (like you) believe will be important, but that could be based on currently having unexpected and unpredictable lows. Having used the Libre for quite a while, they gave me so much invaluable information of what was happening 'behind the scenes'! The cost of the CGM's does seem to be out of my reach for continuous use, and having to replace the Transmitters every year really would make me struggle. The Libre may have to stay. If I think of anything else, I may be back!
Many thanks again.