640g or Animas Vibe

GeminiJohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everybody
I'm due a pump upgrade but can't decide what to go for...I was invited to a pump showcase at my local hospital last Friday...I'm torn between Medtronic 640g or Animas Vibe, has anyone any thoughts please?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Heya @GeminiJohn i can only speak for the 640g as on this, I like mine, wasn't sure on the cannula set to start with but its no bother now as have the shortest set available, it's linked to care link software which your DSN can view and help advise on adjustments, it's easy to bolus and operate, but as I have no experience of any other system I can't rate for or against any other pump ;)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's no right answer. Go with your gut and choose what appeals to you and which one you think you'll be comfortable wearing and using. I'm sure you'll be happy whatever you choose :)

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for replies...I've been reading reviews all night it really is a difficult choice!
hi @GeminiJohn ; I am in the same situation possibly as yourself - my first pump and really can't decide! I am getting an NHS funded pump, and narrowed it down to the Vibe & 640G. I was initially thinking I will need to use the CGM aspect, having used the Libre Freestyle for quite a while. This has given me so much information I wasn't aware of initially, I'm not sure if I can be without having it as an option. Costs are my main concern; the Libre is expensive at £50 / sensor (14 days), but the CGMS's for both the Animas and the Medtronic seem a whole lot more! (the Transmitter is the main part - having £300+ initially is not really an option for me), and only last half the time! so I'm thinking of carrying on using the Libre.
Regarding the Pumps, I'm leaning more towards the 640 at the moment, because of the layout and getting around the menus a lot easier (the back button, the more modern appearance and easier to understand); the Vibe has what seems a very old style layout and the menus I don't think are that user friendly to use. My local hospital has given me one of each of the pumps to play around with, which is very useful. Although I would get used to the Vibe, it doesn't really do much for me to grab my attention! The 640 is more modern and more appealing. I've done a lot of reading up and they both seem very good; trying to list pro's and cons for each, and the biggest bug is the CGM's. The Vibe (Dexcom) I think are working out cheaper, but if I got the 640 and carried on with the Libre, I know I would lose the big feature of the smart guard built in to it. The 640 also has a blood meter which will pass results directly to the pump which is also helpful I think.
I'm not 100% decided but need to make my choice within the next 24/48 hours!!
Have you made your choice yet? Anything swing you one way or another?

GeminiJohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@asa35 Yes I've today chosen the Medtronic 640G which was what I wanted all along really....but after seeing the Vibe last week at my clinic I took a liking to it and nearly talked myself out of getting the Medtronic..after hours of reading reviews it really does become a difficult decision...but having also seen the 640G I think the more intuitive operating system and colour screen suit my needs more I also like the way the screen adjusts to darkening light conditions although the battery life is apparently poor!

Reactions: asa35

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@asa35 If you have a Vibe you can currently get the Dexcom starter pack much cheaper, as you'd be a customer of theirs so qualify for this special offer. Check their site for details. Also, the sensors can be made to last longer than listed.

@GeminiJohn and @asa35 When you make your pros and cons list, also make a list of each pump's features, then highlight the ones that are important to,you. We're all individuals and have different priorities. Think about your daily life and what would be important to you.

Yes, the Vibe screen looks more old-fashioned than the Medtronic but for me other factors outweighed that. As an example, I had the Insight which is newer and more modern - and I absolutely detested it! I gave it back. It was awful (to me). So don't be dazzled by the most modern if another pump would suit you better.

I read and read and read, made my lists, and have never regretted my choice :) All my research and imagining paid dividends. It's not over the top. It's worth doing as your pump will be with you 24/7.

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@asa35 Yes I've today chosen the Medtronic 640G which was what I wanted all along really....but after seeing the Vibe last week at my clinic I took a liking to it and nearly talked myself out of getting the Medtronic..after hours of reading reviews it really does become a difficult decision...but having also seen the 640G I think the more intuitive operating system and colour screen suit my needs more I also like the way the screen adjusts to darkening light conditions although the battery life is apparently poor!
@GeminiJohn , i think that will be me, right up to the last moment!! Also, because the Medtronic has a BG meter that talks to the pump I think will be useful. Will let you know my decision!

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@asa35 If you have a Vibe you can currently get the Dexcom starter pack much cheaper, as you'd be a customer of theirs so qualify for this special offer. Check their site for details. Also, the sensors can be made to last longer than listed.

@GeminiJohn and @asa35 When you make your pros and cons list, also make a list of each pump's features, then highlight the ones that are important to,you. We're all individuals and have different priorities. Think about your daily life and what would be important to you.

Yes, the Vibe screen looks more old-fashioned than the Medtronic but for me other factors outweighed that. As an example, I had the Insight which is newer and more modern - and I absolutely detested it! I gave it back. It was awful (to me). So don't be dazzled by the most modern if another pump would suit you better.

I read and read and read, made my lists, and have never regretted my choice :) All my research and imagining paid dividends. It's not over the top. It's worth doing as your pump will be with you 24/7.
Thanks @azure - I have done lists similar to this, but keep revisiting it and having second thoughts! I hoped this bit would be easy! At the moment, the 640 is still slightly in front, but I know what you mean about the starter kits: Dexcoms is £250.00 whereas Medtronics is £640!! either way, I think I may still end up using the Libre and manually entering. I do like the fact that the Medtronic comes with the BG meter that sends the readings to the pump, which I think may be useful.
As you say, it's all a personal choice, so it will soon be decision time!!

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
I have the Medtronic 640g and love it, having said that I'm still relatively new to pumps and naturally the 640 g is all i know.

If like me and you want a spare meter you will more than likely be given one that doesn't communicate with your pump.
The meter that you need (Contour Next Link 2.4)are available from Rowlands pharmacy online for £24.99 well worth it.

Having said that its easy to put your BG results into your pump manually.

Regards
Martin

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
To be honest, something that's not particularly prevalent in the UK is the ability to borrow pumps and use them for a week. I know Guy's give you a chance to handle and play with all the pumps they offer before you have to choose, and I think this is really important.

GeminiJohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1

@azure from everything I've read and seen the 640G and Vibe are both extremely good pumps and appear a big step up from my Accu-Chek combo that I've had over the last four years.

Reactions: azure

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Regardless of which pump you choose, either choice will be a good one:)

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
i have had a vibe for one week now. It's easy to use. I had the same choice to make. I chose the vibe as recently there were peaple having a lot of occlusions with the medtronic. I know it depends on which canula is used but it is a pump and possibly canula is not the whole story to consider.
I hope to have a Dexcom at some time these are cheaper than medtronic, also many get there sensors to last a long time.

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@GeminiJohn , i think that will be me, right up to the last moment!! Also, because the Medtronic has a BG meter that talks to the pump I think will be useful. Will let you know my decision!
Good afternoon @GeminiJohn, just to let you know, I started on the Medtronic 640G on Wednesday this week. So far, I've been really impressed! After having readings so erratic and unpredictable over the last few years, yesterday's readings were an amazing turnaround! I know it's very early days yet, and there will be some minor changes to make, but first impressions are very encouraging. The Contour Link 24 BG meter that came with it is very useful for sending BG'S straight to the pump.
I'm going to carry on using the Libre occasionally to save my fingers a bit of heartache!
How are you getting on with yours?

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Good afternoon @GeminiJohn, just to let you know, I started on the Medtronic 640G on Wednesday this week. So far, I've been really impressed! After having readings so erratic and unpredictable over the last few years, yesterday's readings were an amazing turnaround! I know it's very early days yet, and there will be some minor changes to make, but first impressions are very encouraging. The Contour Link 24 BG meter that came with it is very useful for sending BG'S straight to the pump.
I'm going to carry on using the Libre occasionally to save my fingers a bit of heartache!
How are you getting on with yours?
Is that wise. I mean you should be using finger pricking for your bolus/ carbs.

Regards

Martin

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Martin. Apologies, it wasn't very clear how I put it - I will be using the Contour as my main device, but will use the Libre on occasional use (instead of a CGM) when my fingers give up giving me any blood! I realise though that even during Libre use, finger testing is still important for better accuracy.
Thanks

Reactions: azure