Type 1: I have got a cold and am I allowed lemsip

C

chris lowe

I have never tried lemsip since I, ve had type2 so no idea.also I have never had a cold either since I was diagnosed.
I have tried lemsip years ago and never found it helped.also cough mixture is also a waste of time.
When I now have a cold, I just take paracetamol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok i am T1 and i was told diabetics cant take any cold and flu relief not because of the sugar but coz we are high risk of blood clots and some stuff in the medication highers the risk.... being the bad diabetic i am just take them anyway and make sure i move around more lol more walking more trips up the stairs ect lol

whosbear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Some, but not many. Hate shopping at tesco!
I have got a cold and I don't know if I'm allowed lemsip to get rid of it quickly
I've been having a cold for the last 10 or so. I have Lemsip about 3 or 4 times a day and include one teaspoon of Honey so it clings to my throat for longer. My B/S this morning was 5.6mol. You've still got to look after your health.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've been having a cold for the last 10 or so. I have Lemsip about 3 or 4 times a day and include one teaspoon of Honey so it clings to my throat for longer. My B/S this morning was 5.6mol. You've still got to look after your health.

Lemsip is about as much use to your health as an ashtray on a motorcycle!
It relieves the symptoms, that's it!
It is a sugar boost to make you feel better!

Honey is not a good suggestion for diabetics. Turns to quick acting glucose!
Instead of honey gargle with salt in water! That will be much better for you!

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ginger, cayenne pepper, lemon juice and s cinnamon stick in hot water does it all!

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
I know thanks

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Lemsip is about as much use to your health as an ashtray on a motorcycle!
It relieves the symptoms, that's it!
It is a sugar boost to make you feel better!

Honey is not a good suggestion for diabetics. Turns to quick acting glucose!
Instead of honey gargle with salt in water! That will be much better for you!
Yucky that sounds horrible thanks

hazel p

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To be honest, I don't find Lemsip does anything at all. No more effective than paracetamol on it's own. I think a bowl of hot water with a few drops of menthol & eucalyptus & cover your head with a towel & breathe in the steam. Also if you are taking anything for blood pressure you might need to check with your GP, mine told me to only take decongestants like Sudafed if I wanted some relief when going out for the evening say.
PS I've mentioned it on another post but rubbing some Vick into the bottom of your feet before bed & covering up with socks gives some relief. Don't know how it works but it does

Not sure how to use the quote thing properly, I just wanted to mention that diabetics should NOT take sudafed. It masks hypo symptoms. Hope that helps a bit.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good advice about some meds possibly masking the symptoms of hypoglycaemia @hazel p

I tend to stick to paracetamol and steam inhalation so for colds. Sounds old fashioned but works well.

I hope you're feeling better now @Julia McCoulough

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
The trouble is most of these medications are basically the same with maybe some extra non medicinal ingredients, a fancy name and a price hike.

Regards

Martin

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I had a real family doctor ( do they make them anymore ?) He said that a tot of whiskey with hot water and lemon may not make the cold go away faster but it would make you feel better :)
Carol

Reactions: azure