Back to normal diet after low carb

Swissgirl

I have eaten a low carb diet presque one year. But know I am thinking about going back to eat carbs. The Problem is I am really tired, and wirhout energy all day. I haven't had any other problems with low carb.The Thing is I am only injecting Basal at the moment. So i don't really know how to start..
I would be happy about your help. Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Do you mean help with your bolus doses, if so then you could register with the following which is an on-line carb counting course:

http://www.bertieonline.org.uk/

You should also speak with your diabetes team who will advise further, good luck and hope the tiredness eases off and your energy levels improve.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't think there is any bolus dosing, just basal, so its really all about breaking yourself in slowly back to the carbs, low GI preferably.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think some become tired also because of getting a nutrition disturbance when changing their diet totally not knowing enough of nutritions and maybe therefor not getting the right amount of all the different nutritions..

F.x. do bread have a lot of vitamin B´s that are essential for nerve and skin and the body´s wellbeing in general...

Also a lot of trace-minerals is in the wholemeal and oat which also contains the very highly needed magnesium which is used in about 230 different reactions in our body ..

And when stopping eating lots of root-vegetables and fruits one can easily become insufficient in potassium ... both a lack of potassium, sodium and magnesium can make people feel extremly tired and like all energy has left them...

Another problem can be a very low level of vitamin C if one eats mostly meat animal fats and diary products and not very much vegetables and no fruits...
vitamin D insuficiency also can make people extrmely tired and depressed, and it is not dangerous to take a supplement every day of a vitamin D ... like in vintertime 35 mikrograms a day

But it is important to get ones blood tested before taking those supplement in very high doses... so go to you GP before starting taking high amounts of nutrients except form the ordinary multi-vitamin... and ask specifically for test of electrolytes-numbers in your blood... and for the numbers of iron and vitamin D too.

Sodium the lack of sodium can become a problem when one change into eating almost only natural non-rafined foods which are not added sodium before we buy them.... and if one does not use sodium very much in cooking... but be aware most do actually get a little or very much to much sodium in their daily intake of foods..

About half a little teaspoon a day is what most need...but we are in general told as type 2´s not to use salt/sodiumchloride.... but like most other essential minerals ( and electrolytes like magnesium, potassium,sodium and chlorid ) vitamins and traceminerals one can both get too litlle and too much.

Another problem like what you maybe think is your problem is that maybe not everyones brains are equally good at funtioning with low levels of carbs..., but instead of going back to normal almost unlimited amounts of carbs one could just add like 5 grams of carbs every 2-3 hours so the carbs are in your blood most of the day and do not come only at one or two meals... thats where maybe half a piece or a quarter of a piece of fruit in between meals could be a good idea... so the amount is low enough at one time to not spike even though it is the very forbidden fruit...

Also a lack of vitamin B12 can make people feel extremely tired, and it is very dangerous to lack that vitamin because the kind of nerve damages is very similar to and can be neuropathy and other nerve damages that are ireversible. metformin can hinder the uptake of vitamin B12 mostly in the longer run, but WHO knows excactly when that problem occurs in each individual... if one can not uptake it in large doses, ine has to have it through injections.. if one eat a lot of meat and eggs and dairy then usually one gets enough of B12 , but of cause not if metformin hinders one in taking it up from the intestines.

Also iron deficiency can make people feel extemely tired... but if one eats lots of meat , especially red mest it is not likely one lacks iron... but what many do not know : you can not uptake iran from the meat it there is no vitamin C in the same meal as the iron rich foods..

But as we eat low carb in so many different ways it is very important to know something about nutrients, the daily amount needed of each kind and what would be the typical nutrient deficiency in the different low-carb styles...

Well thats my thoughts about this very very extreme tiredness that is actually a very wellknown problem too diabetics ...

One day i think we´ll be able to buy slow release pill of carbs... so that the spikes can be avoided totally... even slower release than highfiber-carbs or highfat-coated-carbs...

Last edited:

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Yes the above reference is a good one. Start by eating a small amount more carbs than you are eating now and something that you actually like to eat-like potatoes, bread or pizza.I would add 15 to 30 grams at a time. Exercise can help offset the rise in blood sugar and keep testing your blood sugars just as you have done before. Watch the total amount of calories you are eating and try to keep it the same as what you are eating now if you want to maintain the same weight. You can likely reduce some fat and protein to have more calories in carbs. I would caution against switching to a low fat diet suddenly if you have been at high fat levels because you may get high spikes of blood sugar because the fat helps slow the digestion of carbs. Medium fat works better for me. Happy eating!

Swissgirl

Thank you all very much for all those good answers and advices. I will try to follow. I have done a blood test last week but I am waiting for the results, i have also made a appoitmnet with a nutritionist. I need to get back my appetit for carbs and than i think i will slowly try out eating some fruits or Low GI food.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have eaten a low carb diet presque one year. But know I am thinking about going back to eat carbs. The Problem is I am really tired, and wirhout energy all day. I haven't had any other problems with low carb.The Thing is I am only injecting Basal at the moment. So i don't really know how to start..
I would be happy about your help. Thanks

I'd build your carbs up gradually with the help of your diabetes doctor or nurse who can advise about the best insulin to carb ratio to,start on. Test lots, especially after meals so you can see how your blood sugar is.

Bear in mind, your body may take a while to,settle so go slowly and keep good records of your meals and blood sugar and boluses.