Another newbie.

midschick1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a new member and was diagnosed with diabetes just 7 days ago. It is still sinking in. I have other issues medical such a vitamin D deficiency, anaemia and I have hit early menopause too. I had my gallbladder removed 5 years ago. My doctor and diabetic nurse have been amazing and are giving me great support but think I may be a type 1 not 2 diabetic. I am currently on Metformin 1 tablet a day for 1 week moving to 2 next week. I am also on Vitamin D and iron tablets. Both my mother and farther had and have diabetes. My mum died 3 1/2 years ago due to her having heart problem brought on by uncontrolled diabetes she was 73. I found the website by chance but now feel I have somewhere to go to gain help for people who live with diabetes.:):)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a new member and was diagnosed with diabetes just 7 days ago. It is still sinking in. I have other issues medical such a vitamin D deficiency, anaemia and I have hit early menopause too. I had my gallbladder removed 5 years ago. My doctor and diabetic nurse have been amazing and are giving me great support but think I may be a type 1 not 2 diabetic. I am currently on Metformin 1 tablet a day for 1 week moving to 2 next week. I am also on Vitamin D and iron tablets. Both my mother and farther had and have diabetes. My mum died 3 1/2 years ago due to her having heart problem brought on by uncontrolled diabetes she was 73. I found the website by chance but now feel I have somewhere to go to gain help for people who live with diabetes.:):)

welcome here midschick1 :)

why do you think you are diabetic type 1 ... and not type 2 ?

I´ll tag @daisy1 so you will get the welcome information everyone gets here

Remember to have something with vitamin C when you take your iron tablets.. like some water with a squeeze of lemon in it... one can not uptake iron if one does not get vitmin C in the same meal..

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

tim32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @midschick1 welcome to the forum. you are among friends. Don't be afraid to ask questions, there are no stupid ones. There is a lot of information here read what you want, but take your time as some (me) found it confusing or over whelming.

midschick1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @midschick1 welcome to the forum. you are among friends. Don't be afraid to ask questions, there are no stupid ones. There is a lot of information here read what you want, but take your time as some (me) found it confusing or over whelming.
Thanks @tim32 it's like a mine field. So many differing thoughts and ideas.

Reactions: callyandy

tim32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @tim32 it's like a mine field. So many differing thoughts and ideas.[/QUOTE
I think the key is to take your time and read through some of the ideas and pick one that is achievable for you, we are all different,

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @midschick1
There is a lot to take in so do take it slowly. Hopefully they are doing further tests to check if it is type 1 or 2. Do come back with questions and people will try and help.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @midschick1 and welcome to the forum. It is a shock when you get that diagnosis and takes a bit of time to get your head around it all, but you will get a lot of good advice and support on here.
Have a read round the threads and ask anything you want to, the people on here are friendly and supportive.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Welcome @midschick1, take it one step at a time, then the necessary changes are more likely to become a habit. Decide where you are going to start and get going. Diet is a good place to start as that may sort out weight loss and reduce your bg levels.A simple spreadsheet showed what I eaten and the result on different days.

We are a friendly bunch on here and no question is silly. Ask for support on a bad day and post your successes too.

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @Phoenix55 I have already made changes to my diet. I have reduced my sugar and carbohydrates increase my water intake and reduce my serving. I have lost 2lbs in 7 days.
Well done from a new T2 7 days too.
I've made these changes aswell but didn't think about the water. So i will be doing that now. Also starting exercise as of today. Keep going x

LivingLoud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Things I should
@midschick1 welcome.
I'm sure it all feels doom and gloom right now.
You can enjoy delicious, easy to prepare and affordable food that doesn't spike you glucose.
You just need to have the right information, support and a little will power. You'll find help with all three here for you.

1954jessy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi. I am a fairly newbie to. I went on a expert course which was really useful for me. See if there is one in your area. I had to wait about 3months but definitely worth it.

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @midschick1 , @1954jessy , I've been checking in with the forums for 6 weeks now. Everyday I learn something new.

Keep reading, you're doing all the right things. Knowledge is power!!

@midschick1 welcome.
I'm sure it all feels doom and gloom right now.
You can enjoy delicious, easy to prepare and affordable food that doesn't spike you glucose.
You just need to have the right information, support and a little will power. You'll find help with all three here for you.

Wow, read your footnote. Seems we're lucky to have you on our side.. Thank you.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51