Bread

Mog

Thanks to this forum I have started on a low carb diet to reduce my blood-sugar levels. I don't need to lose weight so that's okay. However I do miss my daily intake of fresh, crusty bread. Can anybody recommend a particular type of loaf that won't raise my bg levels? Also, what would you suggest as the daily amount?

I've noticed that a lot of supermarket 'baked on site' bread contains zero nutritional information. How do they get away with it?

Thank in advance

:)

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
The only bread i get away with is warburtons premium brown,its 10g carbs a slice,i do have 1 or 2 of these a day,as for the supermarket ones,i darent touch anything that doesnt have info on :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I haven't tried them myself, but the Low carb superstore online advertises bread THen there's Fergus's recipe in the food thread. Nimble and Weight watchers breads are lower carb. As is Burgen's soya and seed bread.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
I tried the Italian toast from lowcarb megastore ... it tasted like burnt soya grits and made me heave ... and was shockingly expensive!

Tesco do an "oat" bread which has 34% carbs rather than 50odd% seen in many breads, however, it still sent me skyward ...

At Xmas time I plan on ingesting an entire TIGER bread ... and probably bloating for a week after!

:)

betic

i use the bread from lowcarb megastore, and to be honest it helps me put a breakfast together and maintain my bread yearning...its a bit dear, but i buy 6 or seven loaves at a time and freeze it in sandwich bags of two pieces each which makes it easy to just pull from the freezer and pop in the toaster...also handy to defrost two pieces and take to macdonalds when the kids drag me there and stick a cheeseburger inside minus there bun of course and a black coffee to swill it down or diet coke if you prefer? i know the super strong willed can say i dont need bread, but i really struggle with breakfast, and granola and me just do not get on..you can also get a low carb brown roll from the same people but i found they were just a bit rubbery for my taste , but the bread seems quite enjoyable..i also have some of there dreamfields pasta at the same time as this makes a nice occasional change but some people have had probs with it...i use the quick bread recipe on here to make small coconut teacake things which taste pretty good, more like a cake than bread i think so with the coconut added and a (big)bit of flora buttery...mmmmm :lol: