NHS in England ponders sugary drinks ban

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So this is in the news today. Heaven forbid if you are a diabetic having a hypo on hospital grounds and have run out of supplies! I also do ponder if we will be entitled to vat off buying sugary drinks as we need them for our medical condition in order to treat hypos?

NHS in England ponders sugary drinks ban

On a personal level I'm finding that with stomach issues, sugary sweets don't act quick enough for me when a hypo strikes, so I'm reaching almost exclusively for the Lucozade bottle these days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37914050

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just curious What do you do anywhere else to treat a hypo? Do you rely on being near a shop and be able to buy a sugary drink or do you carry something suitable? If sweets don't work can you not get glucogel on perscription?

In theory I think it's a great idea but it has to go further than this what about all the mars bars, twixes, tubs of chocolate etc

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to say, but may not be very popular for saying it, that Lucozade may not be essential for treating hypos most of the time? Apart from Dextrose tablets which may not be quite as fast but can be eaten quickly, there are other glucose drinks, gels etc that can be carried and glucose powder that can be put into water. I realise there are exceptions but it worries me that people rely just on Lucozade.

Bobbin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just curious What do you do anywhere else to treat a hypo? Do you rely on being near a shop and be able to buy a sugary drink or do you carry something suitable? If sweets don't work can you not get glucogel on perscription?

In theory I think it's a great idea but it has to go further than this what about all the mars bars, twixes, tubs of chocolate etc

I carry Lucozade. I have to go buy it in order to carry it and i don't thinkanyone cansay they have never run out of supplies whilst out. I don't like gluogel and can refuse to take something i don't like in a hypo fuddle.