They shrunk the Lidl Rolls :(

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why don't Lidl make a loaf of bread not just rolls? Would be use for sandwiches or toast?
They do a loaf that's not too high in carbs but not sure what it is called. I toast my Lidl rolls anyway :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I bought three yesterday and weighed them when I got home.
One was 83g, second was 93g and the third weighed 103g!

I think there is a huge amount of difference in weights and yet, they can come from the same frozen batches...exactly the same for the aldi bake at home rolls. Not good really..20g weight can make quite a difference if injecting and calculating i sulin needs.. Thats why I complained to Aldi about there rolls.

Reactions: Prem51

XtractorFan

@6cats - I've bought a "low gi loaf" from lidl which is lovely and lasts really well, great for sandwiches and toast.

Got one of those last week, nearly killed me :( one thick slice with butter spiked me from 5 to 11.5 in half an hour, but was down to 6.5 by 2 hours later (no meds) so don't know where they get the 'low GI' from, seem pretty much like most breads to me - but tasty none the less.
A quick Google brings: http://www.fatsecret.co.uk/calories-nutrition/lidl/low-gi-multiseed-bread/100g?frc=True, while 'Multigrain bread' is :http://www.fatsecret.co.uk/calories-nutrition/lidl/low-gi-multiseed-bread/100g?frc=True
Looks like I'll stick to the Protein rolls for as long as I can get them....

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all....not sure where to post this, but just an observation. Just picked up some Lidl High Protein rolls and thought they looked kind of small compared to usual. Weighed them when I got home and find they have shrunk from an average of 115g to 91g !!! Not sure if this is just a bad batch or if it is the new weight they intend selling them at
These are delicious - a pity they are not packed in bags. Unfortunately in my branch of Lidl's you have customers picking them with their bare hands and not with the tongs provided.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my view the Lidl rolls may be baked in-store, but I doubt the dough is prepared from raw ingredients in store. It is far more likely the rolls, pastries etc., arrive at store in an un-baked, ready made, frozen state, with each batch put in the oven to cook. On that basis they can claim they are baked in-store, because they are.

It seems likely to me that the portions have been adjusted at the central preparation factory.

Curiously enough the other day when I was in Lidl, replenishing the AB yoghurt lake, the chap on the check-out till mentioned to a colleague he couldn't stay on the check-out too long as he'd have to fet a bit more baking done. Had he been in since stupid o'clock making several variants bread dough, sweet and savoury pastry and croissant, I doubt if he'd infill anywhere. He'd finish a bit earlier like the posties do.

Where some shops are still producing the larger rolls, perhaps they just haven't used up all the big ones yet, before moving onto the smaller batches.

I could be very wrong, but if they do any more than baking from frozen, I would expect much more variation in size, and quality/flavours from store to store.
Yes their bakery stuff including the protein rolls comes in ready made they just bake them in store

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes they are smaller I noticed that when I bought some two weeks ago and compared them with some I already had in the freezer. I do not eat them myself I think they are horrible I can't stand seedy bread my husband likes them though

MrsHutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am so disappointed! I really loved these rolls and one sliced and toasted with butter and mushrooms did me for lunch, They didn't spike me too badly and really filled me up until tea time! The new SMALLER ones are not enough for me and I have to have something else with it! Also, I have always paid 29p and they are charging the same, but for a much smaller item. Not happy :arghh:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
These are delicious - a pity they are not packed in bags. Unfortunately in my branch of Lidl's you have customers picking them with their bare hands and not with the tongs provided.
That's why I use the tongs and get ones that are underneath others, at the back of the tray.
I bought some yesterday and I haven't weighed them, but they are definitely smaller.