Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
7.8 this morning as thought I had been eating really well. Only diagnosed a week ago and have lost weight. I tested pre-meal 3days ago and it was 7.1. Dont understand why so high fasting. :grumpy:
It's probably due to 'dawn phenomenon' where your liver dumps stored glucose into your bloodstream when you wake to get you going for the day. It's quite normal and non-diabetics get it too.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
7.8 this morning as thought I had been eating really well. Only diagnosed a week ago and have lost weight. I tested pre-meal 3days ago and it was 7.1. Dont understand why so high fasting. :grumpy:

yes the Dawn Phenomenon, but have you also counted proteins..?. if one eat many proteins like more than like 80-90 grams the liver stores the excess protein and changes it to glucose over the next 24 hours...or sooner... so there is a reason why the low carb diet also had added high fat... and not proteins ... because most type 2 diabetics also have an overactive liver... producing far too much glucose from the proteins.
a male need like 0.8 grams of protien pro kg bodymass a day.. so if f.x. 100kg it would be 80 grams of protein a day

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam_Garrett
A

asparagusp

Good Morning. Here we go again - 3.6 - so I had quarter of a glucose tablet, the next two consecutive readings 15 minutes later, 8.3/6.7. Maybe the 3.6 reading was the bogus one ..... Can you get night time hypos if you inject Lantus in the morning?

Last edited by a moderator: