Type 1 or 2

ramil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everybody,i was type 2 but today my c peptid score is 1,22 and doctor said that you are type 1 .how can I determine the right type ?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
well, the c peptide test determines insulin production I think....so it doesn't actually confirm the auto immune response required for type 1 diagnosis.....

you may well be type 1.5 LADA....

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A cpeptide test tells you if you are producing any of your own insulin. People who might not be producing insulin include
  • Type 1 diabetic whose insulin production is halted by autoimmune attack on the beta cells
  • Type 2 diabetic whose insulin production has stopped due to exhaustion of the beta cells.
Cpeptide results don't answer what type you are, although they can be useful to take account of as part of the whole clinical picture. Questions to ask for that include: age, weight, whether you have had any untried for weight loss, blood sugar levels, any ketones?

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everybody,i was type 2 but today my c peptid score is 1,22 and doctor said that you are type 1 .how can I determine the right type ?

A GAD test which looks for the antibodies related to Type 1 would be more useful to give you an idea of your type.

Type 1 is an autoimmune disease, where the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas are attacked by the body's own immune system. Type 2 is not.

Reactions: ontario_ogirl

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@ramil If you're in doubt about what type you are, ask for a GAD test as explained above.

If you're worried about any of your results or have questions about what they mean, it would be best to speak to your doctor.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
im not sure what you are hoping to achieve by posting your blood results, in what might be Greek?, on the forum @ramil ? Have you got a particular query about any of the results?

ramil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am confused because since 2015 i am type 2 , but today due to the c peptid results (1,12) doctor said that you are type 1 . Yes he asked me to give the GAD , but i am worried about type 1 .

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looking at your cpeptide result in isolation doesn't give any indication of what type of diabetes you have. Assuming your cpeptide result was 1.12ng/ml it actually appears apretty normal cpeptide result indicating that you are producing a normal amount of your own insulin so I'm not sure why your doctor thinks it indicates type 1.

Without any information on your age, BMI, story of diagnosis or blood sugar management I don't think anyone is going to be able to take a guess as to what type of diabetes you might have.

In any event, where there is doubt over type the best test to have is for the GAD antibodies. If you are gad positive that will confirm type 1. Now you have had the gad test you can get the answer discussing the results with your doctor. Hope you don't have long to wait for the result.

ontario_ogirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My GAD results took 2 months to come in. I am T1 but there was never really any doubt. C pep is only how much insulin the pancreas is still producing and you cannot determine your type by that alone. Are you thin? Active vs sedentary? Extra weight in the past? High carb, processed diet? These are all things they will look at to help form a picture. Some T1s actually have no antibodies either though. This could be genetic and my understanding is that if no antibodies it is early days or possibly a dx in early childhood? Others may be able to help clarify more.

A

asparagusp

Some T1s actually have no antibodies either though. This could be genetic and my understanding is that if no antibodies it is early days or possibly a dx in early childhood? Others may be able to help clarify more.

Wow I didn't know that Type 1s can have no antibodies. Where does that leave me as I had the antibody tests in the summer which were negative so diabetes 2 reconfirmed.

I'm already taking insulin and understand too that by doing so, increases the likelihood of developing antibodies ..... I already have had an autoimmune disease - Hyperactive Thyroid.

PS What's "dx"?

ramil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everybody my antikor result is negative and antigad ref is 1.4

Which type should be ?