A point of view

Mebo2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have read DUK on many occasions and been unimpressed by their poor ability to really shout and actively promote Diabetes awareness and its profound implications and complications for us and to the public in general.

This has been my one and only comment on any social/site in the UK and I have had Diabetes mellitus 35 years.

At 20.41 last night I received an Email from DUK telling me today was World Diabetes Day ! Wow such unbelievable gross incompetence.

Chrisle68

Yep you are completely right nothing
On set days you can turn fb to that colour or buy an arm band But diabetes nope nothing something has to change

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome

Are you talking about DUK (Diabetes UK the charity, blue logo, nothing to do with this forum and this website)?

Or are you talking about DCUK (Diabetes.co.uk, red logo, this site and forum)?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have read DUK on many occasions and been unimpressed by their poor ability to really shout and actively promote Diabetes awareness and its profound implications and complications for us and to the public in general.

This has been my one and only comment on any social/site in the UK and I have had Diabetes mellitus 35 years.

At 20.41 last night I received an Email from DUK telling me today was World Diabetes Day ! Wow such unbelievable gross incompetence.

Hi,

I'm sorry your "alarm clock" for D day went off a bit late.. :(

Was "20.41" the time stamp it was sent, or the time you opened the correspondence..?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was diagnosed, I contacted my local DUK centre, asking for help and advice and details of local support groups in the area. All I got was a leaflet showing how to make a donation or will bequest. The nearest support group that is active turned out to be 70 miles away, and that was all I ever got from DUK, apart from a string of begging emails.

If you look at the list of their sponsors and who they have gotten into bed with recently you will see a long list of supermarkets,food suppliers and soft drinks manufacturers. DUK have lost all credibility in my eyes, and I fail to see how they can claim to be an indepenant voice in the fight to control Diabetes. They are bosom buddies with PHE, who are responsible for the Eatwell food guides and other unhelpful nutrition advice.

Recently they teamed with the BBC to give a very biassed view of T2 Diabetes, which ended up as a repeating snuff movie.

Having tried to correspond in their forum I was amazed at how much interference came from their moderators, and how they tried to steer their threads away from any hint of controversy. I no longer post there, and I do not support their efforts. They have lost the plot.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I have to say I was rather surprised when I received my DCUK email about World Diabetes Day at 20:49 last night.
I would have anticipated it being send early in the day.
This is around the usual time that I receive any DCUK email.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to say I was rather surprised when I received my DCUK email about World Diabetes Day at 20:49 last night.
I would have anticipated it being send early in the day.
This is around the usual time that I receive any DCUK email.
You name DCUK (i.e. this site) but the OP was for DUK I personally did not receive any email from either, But DCUK did acknowledge Sir Fredrerick Banting's 125th birthday

EDIT ti Add: As did Google, bless them.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You name DCUK (i.e. this site) but the OP was for DUK I personally did not receive any email from either, But DCUK did acknowledge Sir Fredrerick Banting's 125th birthday

EDIT ti Add: As did Google, bless them.
As have The Telegraph today, with an piece on Banting. Helpfully they finish the piece informing the reader of the two main types of diabetes and their cause.
Quote "Type 1 is when the body attacks the cells that produce insulin while Type 2 is when the body does not respond to insuline" How refreshing ! Sadly it is behind a paywall

Reactions: Tabbyjoolz
S

Shar67

My email from this site for diabetes day was send to me at 20.50 last night.
Was my day ruined by not knowing, no
Was I going to celebrate Bantings birthday, no
Do I thing DCUK is terrible for being late in the day, no

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

What more would you like to see them do @Mebo2 ?

I know this year they've been running Diabetes Awareness Roadshows throughout the UK, I'm sure they'd be open to suggestions on how to improve things should you contact them.

Mebo2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I'm sorry your "alarm clock" for D day went off a bit late.. :(

Was "20.41" the time stamp it was sent, or the time you opened the correspondence..?

I was well aware of WDDay and Sir Frederic Banting anniversary. Time reported was time sent see other comments.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As have The Telegraph today, with an piece on Banting. Helpfully they finish the piece informing the reader of the two main types of diabetes and their cause.
Quote "Type 1 is when the body attacks the cells that produce insulin while Type 2 is when the body does not respond to insuline" How refreshing ! Sadly it is behind a paywall

They got a fair bit of abuse on twitter and appended that. Reading the article you'd think there were 4m people in the UK who didn't produce insulin....

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What more would you like to see them do @Mebo2 ?

I know this year they've been running Diabetes Awareness Roadshows throughout the UK, I'm sure they'd be open to suggestions on how to improve things should you contact them.
Are you serious?