Type 1: Unexplained highs

Opossum

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter sometimes has similar episodes (reaching up to 20). I think it is the combination of honeymoon final moments, weather change and bad luck with insulin shot. I give her correction a lot those days and measure bg more often. Do not underestimate weather change, I have witnessed that it can really mess things up. If this continues for multiple days reconsider dosage

debz48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
I hate cruelty to animals.
Have a chat with you diabetes nurse you might not be having enough insulin. Could just need tweeking a little bit

Gpad

Yeah another vote for stress, even the smallest amount of stress can cause absolute chaos with me. Hope you've got yourself sorted, would rather hypo a few times than run a high like that for any length of time, it's properly miserable.

Reactions: Radge21

Satu

My daughter is going through exactly the same at the moment. I contacted the diabetes team today and was told to change her insulin sensitivity on her smart meter so she'll get a bigger correction dose, and up the Lantus a little bit (1/2 unit) and keep an eye on things. Might be different from your situation though as my daughter was diagnosed just over 6 months ago and I suspect might still be clinging onto the honeymoon period. Worth a go though?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou everyone for your help...
I rang 111 and they got a doctor from AnE to ring me back. As I didn't have any ketones they didn't want me to go in but to keep an eye on it so after giving myself some more correction doses (as the doctor told me) I checked again after an hour and my sugars started to come down. By 2am this morning i managed to get it down to 12.3 so finally felt calm enough to go to sleep baring In mind i was working at 6am. So as you all are probably thinking all I've done today is hypo after the amount of insulin i had yday. I've managed to get an appointment with my dsn to have a look over my reading these last 2 weeks and see where to go from here. This is the first episode where I've had them so high (apart from when i was diagnosed)
Really appreciate the feedback from everyone

Reactions: himtoo

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd be upping the basal with rising numbers like that I think. When my daughters numbers shoot up it tends to be a brief illness, but even with a short term thing it can help to increase basal for a couple of days. You can always reduce it again a few days later if numbers come down again.

Radge21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a same type of thing a few years back. High results but eating much less because I was trying to lose a wee bit of weight.

Nurse at my clinic said when you are not eating you're body starts to think you are needing extra energy and starts to burn of fats etc in you're body to compensate. Well it was something like that explanation. She said I was producing higher sugars as my body thought a period where I was not getting enough to eat so it was trying to go into my reserves to balance me up and keep me going.

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!
hello love

I went to the hospital today with the exact same problem and the nurse advised me to change injection sites, because if you inject in the same spot over time it will just become a pocket and the insulin wont actually get to where it needs to be and thats why the sugars go up because the insulin cannot get to it.

Try a new spot on yourself - thats what Ive done starting today

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hello love

I went to the hospital today with the exact same problem and the nurse advised me to change injection sites, because if you inject in the same spot over time it will just become a pocket and the insulin wont actually get to where it needs to be and thats why the sugars go up because the insulin cannot get to it.

Try a new spot on yourself - thats what Ive done starting today

@rachy0121 has made a great post on site rotation
here is a grid showing all the places you can and should use to help give your sites a bit of rest in between injections

injection sites.jpg

Reactions: azure

CarlyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, snobby behaviour
Keep us posted on what your DSN says. I would be interested to know. Good luck x