Flying

Davec2802

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So im flying to Madrid next week. Im type 2 but carry my testing kit. Which has needles. Do i need to make my airline aware when at check in. Do i need a letter from my doctor? Any advice would be grateful thanks.

Chrisle68

Just came back from Spain My test kit was in my hand luggage at customs they just looked at it smiled and sent me on my way

A

asparagusp

Yes to both questions, although security in my experience flying within the EU security don't ask for the letter but I tell them anyway that I'm diabetic. That way they are alert to any emergency that may arise. They even even made me extra priority in boarding the aircraft! lol

I envy you going to Madrid!

PS I forgot to mention the insulin passport which you can also get from your doctor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So im flying to Madrid next week. Im type 2 but carry my testing kit. Which has needles. Do i need to make my airline aware when at check in. Do i need a letter from my doctor? Any advice would be grateful thanks.

Hi,

The hand luggage gets scanned as usual. (Personally, I never mention it.) But security have seen it all before. In all my years of flying I haven't even been asked.. ;)

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Can't help with question as I'm T2 but just wanted to say I'm jealous - assuming it's for pleasure - have fun

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

It's safest to say as you're checking in. They ask if you have any sharps and lancets count.