My urine infection hasn't gone away

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
I've been back to the GP today as my water infection is still with me. She's prescribed some stronger antibiotics and I will have to go back if it doesn't clear up. What could be causing these infections? it feels like I've got a needle or razor blade stuck up inside me on the LHS. I've had cystitis before where it really hurts to go for a pee but this is more like a permanent feeling of sharp, sore discomfort.

charlie_farley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had this problem when I was taking Metformin and Gliclazide. I found out that some of these drugs expel sugar through the Urine and this can cause infections. Since going low carb and giving up the drugs I have had no further problems.
This is just my story it is not based on any medical evidence I have received.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I ask, have you had a positive test result for infection? If not, and you experience UTI symptoms it could be something else. I live with a condition called interstitial cystitis which is an inflammatory bladder condition. Basically the lining of my bladder is damaged so my bladder doesn't tolerate urine too well. I personally think mine was caused by a few too many UTI's (how I came to be diagnosed with diabetes in the first place). My symptoms started just like any other UTI I've ever had, except no antibiotics were working on me. My doc did about 6 urinalysis tests on me which all came back abnormal but no bacterial growth before I was referred to a urologist. So every time they do a test on me I always have high white blood cells which is really just an inflammatory response. But docs tells me there shouldn't be any pathogens at all, so labs always send my tests back marked abnormal and requires follow up tests. But this condition I've been diagnosed with also puts me at higher risk of UTI's because it causes retention too. So sometimes I still get UTI's on top of what I normally deal with which makes it hard for me to tell as they both have the same symptoms. Whatever it is for you, I hope you can get better from it. As for me I've been living with what feels like one non stop UTI for over 3 years now and there's no cure. I just had to change my diet quite a lot, and have to be careful I don't over exert myself at all as that triggers flares of it on me. I have one at the moment which just means I'm dealing with the full lot of symptoms and pain is more intense. Hugs to you... I know it's miserable. I hope you get some answers and feel better soon. :)

Reactions: carina62

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@carina62 - I had a UTI this year, which, first time around was diagnosed by a urine dip test, but when it recurred very quickly after finishing antibiotics, a lab test was undertaken to enable a more specific treatment.

Please ensure you keep the fluids up, and if you possibly can, your blood numbers down. Both really do help.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with the other posts that you shouldn't just assume it's a bacterial infection needing antibiotics. Assuming you blood sugar level is low enough to avoid sugar dumps in the urine, try to get other tests done.

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Can I ask, have you had a positive test result for infection? If not, and you experience UTI symptoms it could be something else. I live with a condition called interstitial cystitis which is an inflammatory bladder condition. Basically the lining of my bladder is damaged so my bladder doesn't tolerate urine too well. I personally think mine was caused by a few too many UTI's (how I came to be diagnosed with diabetes in the first place). My symptoms started just like any other UTI I've ever had, except no antibiotics were working on me. My doc did about 6 urinalysis tests on me which all came back abnormal but no bacterial growth before I was referred to a urologist. So every time they do a test on me I always have high white blood cells which is really just an inflammatory response. But docs tells me there shouldn't be any pathogens at all, so labs always send my tests back marked abnormal and requires follow up tests. But this condition I've been diagnosed with also puts me at higher risk of UTI's because it causes retention too. So sometimes I still get UTI's on top of what I normally deal with which makes it hard for me to tell as they both have the same symptoms. Whatever it is for you, I hope you can get better from it. As for me I've been living with what feels like one non stop UTI for over 3 years now and there's no cure. I just had to change my diet quite a lot, and have to be careful I don't over exert myself at all as that triggers flares of it on me. I have one at the moment which just means I'm dealing with the full lot of symptoms and pain is more intense. Hugs to you... I know it's miserable. I hope you get some answers and feel better soon. :)

The GP said she will be sending my urine sample to the Lab to see if there is anything growing which can be dealt with accordingly. I have a long way to go but I am losing weight slowly and steadily which hopefully will be good for this and my diabetes of course. It's not cystitis as I've had that a few times and that is really painful when you pass urine, this is just a weird sensation, the only way I can describe it is like something sharp is inside in that area, if I pressed my tummy on the LHS, it makes me want to go to the loo and sometimes my flow seems slow (sorry for TMI). I have noticed that since becoming diabetic I have had cystitis a few times and now this. Really hoping it can get sorted because it really does make you feel so miserable.

Reactions: Mep

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@carina62 - I had a UTI this year, which, first time around was diagnosed by a urine dip test, but when it recurred very quickly after finishing antibiotics, a lab test was undertaken to enable a more specific treatment.

Please ensure you keep the fluids up, and if you possibly can, your blood numbers down. Both really do help.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

I had this problem when I was taking Metformin and Gliclazide. I found out that some of these drugs expel sugar through the Urine and this can cause infections. Since going low carb and giving up the drugs I have had no further problems.
This is just my story it is not based on any medical evidence I have received.

I am trying very hard and going low carb as I want to lose weight as well as keeping my BS levels in check. I take Metformin twice a day and really hope to come off the tablets by this time next year but will have to see as it seems a very long and slow process.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The GP said she will be sending my urine sample to the Lab to see if there is anything growing which can be dealt with accordingly. I have a long way to go but I am losing weight slowly and steadily which hopefully will be good for this and my diabetes of course. It's not cystitis as I've had that a few times and that is really painful when you pass urine, this is just a weird sensation, the only way I can describe it is like something sharp is inside in that area, if I pressed my tummy on the LHS, it makes me want to go to the loo and sometimes my flow seems slow (sorry for TMI). I have noticed that since becoming diabetic I have had cystitis a few times and now this. Really hoping it can get sorted because it really does make you feel so miserable.

have you gotten your blood glucose numbers down to normal under 6 mmol in general.... otherwise you could try just for a few weeks to go really very low in carbs... if you do not take insuline.. or insuline stimulation medications...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am trying very hard and going low carb as I want to lose weight as well as keeping my BS levels in check. I take Metformin twice a day and really hope to come off the tablets by this time next year but will have to see as it seems a very long and slow process.

Having low numbers, right now, might be an additional challenge, due to the impact on bloods some people experience. Even if it isn't your usual level, you can only do your best.

Reactions: Freema

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm glad your doc is working on giving you some answers. :) It could be anything. If it turns out to be some chronic condition for you, hopefully they have some good treatment options. By the way the condition I mentioned the symptoms vary from person to person who has the condition... it's not the same symptoms for everyone. Even for me I find my symptoms can vary from mild to severe. I also have pelvic floor dysfunction which interferes with water works as well.... basically makes it hard to go and means I have to use sanitary products 24/7.