Is your diabetes a day job?

Do you consider your diabetes to be your day job, and everything fits in around it?

• Yes, 100%

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • No, not at all....

Votes: 25 54.3%
  • Actually I'm somewhere in between...!

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I used to but not anymore.

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I try to not let D run my life , but as it never takes a day off , it is difficult to ignore (much like a not so nice boss :) )

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, but I feel diabetes is my rather troublesome charge and I'm (attempting to be) its manager... And it can sometimes be b****y time consuming work even without having to worry about insulin levels and injections.

Robbity

PS I do feel a bit like @JohnEGreen too, though spending time on diabetes is more of an interest than an actual hobby from my point of view.

Last edited:
Reactions: ickihun
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Diabetes definitely not my day job. More like the drive to work. It has to be done, but depending on weather, route taken and unforeseen traffic it can have an impact on my working day.:):):):):)

Same here with public transport, buses can be the bane of my life, so stressful and at times I could murder the slow plodding driver, I would like to physically pull him of the compartment and then drive the dam thing myself :arghh: But that would be against the law, as I can't drive, so a slight problem there :mad::rolleyes:

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No my health is definitely my newest hobby. Got some of the gizmos already. Blood glucose meter, blood pressure monitor, fitbit, new weighing scales, and just bought my latest pair of trainers in 10 weeks.

Reactions: ickihun

Robyn@29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think this is a really good question. At the moment i barely see it as a part time job...
I was only diagnosed a month ago type 1, and actually apart from the 5/10 mins before a big meal that I've never had before where I have to work out my carbs, I hardly think about it.
90% of the time I'm within my BG target, and when I'm not I know the reason (running around at work or not resisting the biscuit barrel)
has anyone else's attitude changed since diagnosis? I read all your stories about struggling with your BG levels and see all the meme's on Facebook about what it's like to live with diabetes, but I don't feel like that at all.
I'm aware of the "hunny moon period" and am getting a bit scared about when this ends...
Any advice from anyone's who's felt like this, will it change eventually?
I will always remember what my diabetic nurse said to me tho, while I was in hospital attached to 3 drips, trying to bring my BG down from 40... "you control it, don't let it control you..." seemed like wise words at the time...
T.I.A
Robyn

Robyn@29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes definitely not my day job. More like the drive to work. It has to be done, but depending on weather, route taken and unforeseen traffic it can have an impact on my working day.:):):):):)
Hi, I love your analogy,
How long have you been diabetic? Has that attitude changed much since your diagnosis? I'm only a month in and feel like this, will it always be like that or am about to be hit with a storm of day to day worries once my "hunny moon period" is over?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Robyn@29 . Welcome.
I was diagnosed 26 yrs ago aged 27. Since day one I've been proud to be T1, I didn't realise what I had pride in at first but over the years I've come to realise. Like yourself I had a honeymoon period and couldn't understand the easiness of everything. Unfortunately things change, not necessarily for the worse, but T1 will demand more from you, mentally, physically and emotionally.
My take on diabetes is. I don't have diabetes it has me. I'm the boss, we live life my way, we do what I want to do, I along with my family are more important than it and probably most importantly I've not made an enemy of my diabetes. the I've embraced it, I've used it to make me a stronger better person.
We are all different but I hope you can adopt a similar mind set.

Don't ever let it become more important than you.:):):):)

THEBOT74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No I don't treat my diabetes as a job, but a wake-up call as far as control goes. I was diagnosed 6 months ago and my HbA1c was 87. It is now 51. I generally eat much smaller portions and do plenty of walking. I don't "ban" any food or even alcohol, it's just a case of keeping things under control. I like to be relaxed about it, but won't be complacent as if I fall off the wagon I will slip back to high sugar levels

Sent from my D6603 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Diabetes is just a small part of who am I and unless there is a cure, type 1 is a 'life sentence' as all diabetes is a life time chronic condition.
Best wishes RRB

Edited by Mod to remove quote that has been deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Or type 2s who want to control their condition, prevent deterioration, and maybe even improve...
Think this might have crossed with my post about "anyone that wants a full picture" x

Reactions: Brunneria

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The answer is not so simple...

Diabetes is more like a second job for me, I have my full time job - but this is another job which I NEED to do, like a second job that I hate. Although it's not in any way my "full" time job, it's still a "job" which needs to be done.

It's a bit like weeding between the slabs of the world's biggest patio. If you don't do it regularly, it'll soon get really ugly and out of control. But if you do a wee bit everyday, then it should look nice almost all of the time:)

Reactions: therower and Snapsy

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Think this might have crossed with my post about "anyone that wants a full picture" x

Yes, I actually popped back to edit my post cos I felt I was being unfair to the 1.5s and 3s by missing them out
But it really does boil down to anyone actually wanting to look after themselves, have the full picture, and not blindly follow medical advice, doesn't it? :)

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I rule my diabetes it doesn't rule me and I've been at it for close on 55 years.

Reactions: Snapsy
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Definately not, i take my pills try and eat sensibly rarely chack my glucose , dont give it much thought , michael type 2

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
The answer is not so simple...

Diabetes is more like a second job for me, I have my full time job - but this is another job which I NEED to do, like a second job that I hate. Although it's not in any way my "full" time job, it's still a "job" which needs to be done.

It's a bit like weeding between the slabs of the world's biggest patio. If you don't do it regularly, it'll soon get really ugly and out of control. But if you do a wee bit everyday, then it should look nice almost all of the time:)
I totally agree. Very well put. This is how i feel too. If i neglect it it will become uncontrolled. Because it does.
I must weed my patio regularly everyday and jet spray it on occasion to keep it at its best. Replacement cracked slabs sometime need replacing or the whole situation needs refreshing with coloured, modern slabs to keep in touch with whats reasonable appearance/maintainance. I like to keep up with the times. The fashion and expectation all play a part.

Reactions: GrantGam and Diakat

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can only do one thing at a time so if I'm gardening I'm a gardener and if I'm choosing, cooking and eating food I'm a diabetic and if I'm riding my bike in the middle of the road I'm an idiot.