Bread making machine advice please

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some of you may have bread makers and I need your advice please .. The wife has discovered she has an allergy to rapeseed oil ... and its in just about everything .. We do/did buy cut wholemeal bread for the odd slice of toast with cheeses on .. but all the pre-made bread now seems to have rapeseed oil in .. so we are thinking of getting a bread maker .. Our cottage is too cold to prove bread when making it my hand .. So I think a bread maker will do all this for her.
So advice please on how to use bread makers & recipes for wholemeal or granary bread that work in theses machines .. I am apparently in remission and can now eat bread without impacting on my blood sugars ...

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Enclave.

I don't own or use a bread maker, but do make bread regularly. I use a Kenwood mixer for the kneading part and my own recipes. I don't really see the need for ready made bread mixes.

It takes a lot longer to prove bread in a colder environment, but the end result is still the same. There also isn't any chance of the bread over-proving as the yeast works a lot slower. In fact, I sometimes prove bread in the fridge if I'm wanting it ready fresh for the next breakfast/lunch. It actually enhances the flavours too.

A word of caution with regards to "remission" and eating bread. Less is always more in this circumstance and it's very hard to stop eating your own bread which can lead to problems with BG!

Here is my "best of both" recipe. I like the white flour content as it keeps the bread nice and light. You can make it with 500g wholemeal flour although the end result isn't quite as light as when the white flour is present.

300g white bread flour
200g wholemeal bread flour
20g dried yeast
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp oregano
60g salted butter (melted)
290ml tepid water

A quick method:

Combine all dry ingredients in the mixer bowl and mix thoroughly. Add melted butter and mix until combined.

GRADUALLY add the water whilst mixing on slow speed. I suggest about 50ml at a time to start with and then reduce the quantities you're adding towards the end as to not add too much! All brands of flour have different moisture contents and water absorption properties. You may need slightly more than 290ml or slightly less.

Once the dough has been mixed for 10 minutes, it should be a nice shiny ball which comes away from the side of the bowl and isn't too sticky to handle. Too sticky, add more flour. Too dry, a splash more water.

Leave to prove (covered with cling film/wet tea towel), anywhere at any temperature until it has "at least" doubled in size.

When the bread has completed its first prove, give it a knead and then put into a slightly oiled bread tin.

The second prove is complete when your bread has risen to about double its original size and still springs back when pressed. It'll be ready when it's ready and all depends on the temperature.

Cook for 25 minutes at 180 fan (200 regular). When the bread is done, leave it to cool in the tin covered with a tea towel. You will be able to tip the loaf out the tin and finish cooling on a rack after about 15 minutes.

You can alter the white to brown flour ratios to change up the texture of the loaf. As to what impact the bread will have on your BG is dependant on you, but generally all bread will produce some sort of spike. And a lot of us even find this true with sour dough which is meant to be the better of the breads.

I hope that I've made my recipe and method clear enough... And if you do try it, good luck:)

Last edited:

streem26

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
OK, here goes on the 'half wholemeal' recipe:

9 fl oz water
2 tablespoons sunflower oil (I actually use large dessert spoons)
8 oz wholemeal bread flour
8 oz strong white bread flour
2 heaped teaspoons powdered skimmed milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 rounded teaspoons sugar (I use dark muscovado)
2 teaspoons dried yeast
1 oz sunflower seeds (shelled of course!)
2 teaspoons of either poppy seeds or linseeds

I usually put the water and oil in first, then the flour, then the rest - I don't know if it really makes a difference, but all the breadmaker instruction books say to do it in the right order.

We use this recipe all the time. I got my breadmaker Panasonic for Xmas 2012 and except for on holiday we haven't bought a loaf since. Once we got used to eating our own bread we didn't like the bought stuff so much - in particular our bread is fairly low salt, so we find bought bread a bit on the salty side now.

Last edited:

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just ordered the bread maker .. I only have one slice of bread a day ... not looking to increase this amount., just don't want to kill the wife with the oil in ready made bread .. she had a quarter of a slice this morning of shop bought bread and her face looked like she was inflating like a balloon:(

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just ordered the bread maker .. I only have one slice of bread a day ... not looking to increase this amount., just don't want to kill the wife with the oil in ready made bread .. she had a quarter of a slice this morning of shop bought bread and her face looked like she was inflating like a balloon:(

Which make/model did you go for?

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
bread-maker-with-integrated-scales-p409-3382_thumbmini.jpg
went for this one ... from Andrew James .. it seems really good .. but only cooked one loaf so far :)
Bread Maker with Integrated Scales

Last edited:
Reactions: callyandy

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks really nice.....if you do a search, there's a recipe for low carb bread somewhere on this site....developed by a member for use in bread making machines....but you will come to appreciate being able to control exactly what goes into your daily loaf :hungry:.

Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: callyandy

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks really nice.....if you do a search, there's a recipe for low carb bread somewhere on this site....developed by a member for use in bread making machines....but you will come to appreciate being able to control exactly what goes into your daily loaf :hungry:.
Useful to know thanks, we've had a breadmaking machine for ages and used to use it at least once a week, but not since I was diagnosed. I'll go have a search for that recipe too.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@GrantGam1337
Thanks ... TBH .. the price of a half descent mixer it was easer to get the wife a bread maker .. she used to make her own bread by hand but a broken wrist stopped this ..

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@GrantGam1337
Thanks ... TBH .. the price of a half descent mixer it was easer to get the wife a bread maker .. she used to make her own bread by hand but a broken wrist stopped this ..
Well in more ways than one you have made the right choice:)

Had a look on Amazon and it has great reviews and more than enough different settings to play with! Let us know how it goes as I'm sure there will be others who would be interested in buying one!

Reactions: Enclave

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well in more ways than one you have made the right choice:)

Had a look on Amazon and it has great reviews and more than enough different settings to play with! Let us know how it goes as I'm sure there will be others who would be interested in buying one!
Thank you, the wife has read through heaps of reviews before settling on this machine .. I don't eat low carb bread as I only have one slice a day and its not spiking my BS ..
The wife likes to get the best value for money and the best machine that will do what she needs .. apparently this machine is the same as the lakeland one as she could read a PDF of the hand book from Lakeland we had no surprises with this one .. She refused to order the lakeland one as it was almost twice the price, when she found out both machines were made by the same manufacturer in Germany it was an easy choice. She also considered the choice of just a bread maker or one that can do a few extras .. this one can also make cakes and jam .. So I am hoping for a cake at some point .. with a jam filling ;)
The wife has also worked out that the bread maker is going to be cheeper to run than heating up a full size oven for a small loaf of bread .. along with proving time in the oven .. We are all electric (apart from an open fire) so either way it was going to be cooked with elect.
So far I can report that the bread is lovely .. she is now looking at getting a big sack of flour .. well two sacks as she will only eat granary or wholemeal bread .. and this is best mixed with white flour or its a bit of a house bric
Its cheeper if you go direct to Andrew James ... amazon add a delivery charge .. and the wife will only pay for delivery if its cheeper with it than the original price of the item.

Edit to add .. this is day two of the wife being completely free of rapeseed oil .. she looks and feels better already .. I remember way back when she found out that tea was making her ill .. only realised how unwell she had been, when she stopped drinking it.

Last edited:

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, the wife has read through heaps of reviews before settling on this machine .. I don't eat low carb bread as I only have one slice a day and its not spiking my BS ..
The wife likes to get the best value for money and the best machine that will do what she needs .. apparently this machine is the same as the lakeland one as she could read a PDF of the hand book from Lakeland we had no surprises with this one .. She refused to order the lakeland one as it was almost twice the price, when she found out both machines were made by the same manufacturer in Germany it was an easy choice. She also considered the choice of just a bread maker or one that can do a few extras .. this one can also make cakes and jam .. So I am hoping for a cake at some point .. with a jam filling ;)
The wife has also worked out that the bread maker is going to be cheeper to run than heating up a full size oven for a small loaf of bread .. along with proving time in the oven .. We are all electric (apart from an open fire) so either way it was going to be cooked with elect.
So far I can report that the bread is lovely .. she is now looking at getting a big sack of flour .. well two sacks as she will only eat granary or wholemeal bread .. and this is best mixed with white flour or its a bit of a house bric
Its cheeper if you go direct to Andrew James ... amazon add a delivery charge .. and the wife will only pay for delivery if its cheeper with it than the original price of the item.

Edit to add .. this is day two of the wife being completely free of rapeseed oil .. she looks and feels better already .. I remember way back when she found out that tea was making her ill .. only realised how unwell she had been, when she stopped drinking it.

Oooo, cake and jam..:hungry:. Allergies:grumpy:. With all your research I'm sure this will work for you. Hope your wife stays healthy. Not at all funny being scared of what you eat. :meh:

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I do have a bread maker but did stop using it when I found out I had diabetes cos I just love home made bread and once made have to eat it arghhhh

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do have a bread maker but did stop using it when I found out I had diabetes cos I just love home made bread and once made have to eat it arghhhh
So far we only have the one slice each toasted for breakfast with cheese on ... the wife (or bread maker) is cooking it .. when its cooled its sliced and goes in the freezer . Both of us don't like the smell of new backed bread .. so its easy to resist when its freshly made.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
@Enclave.... I hate it when people call their wives .'.the wife' I have to ask.... can you please call her 'my wife' pretty pretty please! :):banghead::angelic::bag:

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Enclave.... I hate it when people call their wives .'.the wife' I have to ask.... can you please call her 'my wife' pretty pretty please! :):banghead::angelic::bag:
Sorry to have caused you a problem with my dear wife's title .. when I first joined this site I asked my dear other half how she wanted to be referred to .. By name .. or lovely wife, other half, better half, dear wife, her in doors, she who must be obeyed .... and she chose to be referred to as 'the wife' or 'the woman' Well even I was not happy to be putting 'the woman' so I settled with 'the wife.... I will see if she will agree to 'my wife' ... but won't hold out to much hope as she hates being owned .. and my wife indicates in her eyes that I own her .. whereas 'the wife' indicates her role ..like 'the postman, the train driver or 'the washing machine ... she is an artist .. so tends to over think things like titles ... and as most of her art work titles are in latin .. I was just pleased she picked a title for her self we could all understand ...:bag:

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Sorry to have caused you a problem with my dear wife's title .. when I first joined this site I asked my dear other half how she wanted to be referred to .. By name .. or lovely wife, other half, better half, dear wife, her in doors, she who must be obeyed .... and she chose to be referred to as 'the wife' or 'the woman' Well even I was not happy to be putting 'the woman' so I settled with 'the wife.... I will see if she will agree to 'my wife' ... but won't hold out to much hope as she hates being owned .. and my wife indicates in her eyes that I own her .. whereas 'the wife' indicates her role ..like 'the postman, the train driver or 'the washing machine ... she is an artist .. so tends to over think things like titles ... and as most of her art work titles are in latin .. I was just pleased she picked a title for her self we could all understand ...:bag:
She could be Mrs E! Or Signora E La Belle Artist, La Belle any number of things. Thanks for the reply @Enclave. Is that puppy in your avatar your dog?

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ellagy ... the dog in my avatar was my dog .. we lost him to old age about 2 years ago .. he was a full Saluki .. and a rescue .. he broke my heart every time he thought he had found is original owners .. but also loved me to bits .. he was about 14 in this photo .. My Salukis now are so very different to him (Joseph) .. Summer is a KC little girl and Keef the new boy is a rescue
flat,220x200,075,f.u12.jpg
Joseph
Summer
Keef

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
They are beautiful @Enclave.
Very Elegant dogs aren't they. Give them a pat from me and my three Chihuahuas. Quite a difference in size!