Type 2 Opting Out of Diabetic Check Ups

Should patients be asked to opt out of Diabetic Checks?

• No

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe part of the reason is many people simply either don't respond to the letters, or make appointments and don't attend their reviews, thus wasting time and money in both cases.

If someone really has no intention of attending, at least they are cutting down the admin.

Personally, I do still take advantage of the services offered to me.

alanfcox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My heart failure test include blood sugars and also the regular ECG .. cholesterol and a few others ... far better than the diabetes test .. that also includes cholesterol !!! the heart failure tests are more because of the heart meds I am on .. as they can mess up other organs. I keep an eye on my own sugar via a meter and my blood pressure also via a home meter.

Thats good and you clearly understand what is required and take the trouble to monitor your own readings and I would expect your GP to be aware of this and only carry out what is required and not do repeat tests that were unnecessary as I certainly don't support wastage in the NHS.
Unfortunately, there are many patients that don't understand the differences in tests and don't take the trouble to monitor themselves and there is a danger that they sign the document without really thinking it through or considering the consequences. As I am sure you are well aware this then can then lead to serious consequences that cost the NHS more than it has saved by this short term measure.

alanfcox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I believe part of the reason is many people simply either don't respond to the letters, or make appointments and don't attend their reviews, thus wasting time and money in both cases.

If someone really has no intention of attending, at least they are cutting down the admin.

Personally, I do still take advantage of the services offered to me.

I think that generally the amount of "no shows" for both hospital and GP appointments is very high and you are right it does waste money and time which many people probably don't think about because there is no direct financial loss to the individual and remember that after 3 attempts the surgery can still claim their QOF points so they don't really lose out financially.
Looking at the proposal in simply financial terms the surgery can save time and money and still gain financially without having so many "no shows" - if I was a business making money which most surgeries are - I suppose that this would be the way to go - but is it in the best interests of the patient?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that generally the amount of "no shows" for both hospital and GP appointments is very high and you are right it does waste money and time which many people probably don't think about because there is no direct financial loss to the individual and remember that after 3 attempts the surgery can still claim their QOF points so they don't really lose out financially.
Looking at the proposal in simply financial terms the surgery can save time and money and still gain financially without having so many "no shows" - if I was a business making money which most surgeries are - I suppose that this would be the way to go - but is it in the best interests of the patient?

Well, I don't think opting out is the way to go, but if the individual has no intention of attending, the at least it becomes clear.

Whilst a letter may seem like nothing (for the three attempts), each 2nd class postage stamp is 55p, plus the costs of the paper and envelope, plus the time of the person printing and packaging them, not to mention creating the repeated mail merges.

alanfcox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well, I don't think opting out is the way to go, but if the individual has no intention of attending, the at least it becomes clear.

Whilst a letter may seem like nothing (for the three attempts), each 2nd class postage stamp is 55p, plus the costs of the paper and envelope, plus the time of the person printing and packaging them, not to mention creating the repeated mail merges.

A phone call also qualifies as an attempt to contact a patient.

pamK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would not opt out as it does tend to keep you doing what is needed to keep you on a good corse Saying that This new DN to me is not as good as the other nurses we had some times she never checks your feet saying are well do that next time never done it last time But now we are going from every 6 months to every year by your birthday My problem with that is that i take 2000 metformin and i am trying not to go onto another tablet I do it by checking my BS even though she wont give me test strips which i buy myself Then everytime she says That's good But i wont know my HbA1C. once i receive my results till the next 12 months Which i am doing my bit so why dont they

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
With respects I don't think you quite understand how this funding works in GP Practice but what I can say is that it may not go where you state.
The GP practice is allotted X amount of pounds per diabetic patient who has their check up and the boxes are ticked for the funding to be granted. The funding is also granted if a person does not wish to attend and states so in writing (hence the do not wish to attend slip on the letter)

The practice nurse at my surgery is a complete utter waste of space and unable to take a simple blood sample doesn't know what a carbohydrate is and does not want anything to do with them new fangled pump things --------- her words not mine. Personally I object to making a 14 mile round trip wasting my petrol and time seeing someone from the dark ages.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I always sign the opt out so the practice can claim the extra income. It's my choice not to attend thus I see no reason to deprive my GP practice of extra funding which could be used to help someone else.
You do realise that GP surgeries are private enterprises and hence the payments may just go into the GPs pockets.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
You do realise that GP surgeries are private enterprises and hence the payments may just go into the GPs pockets.
Personally I don't care my GP is worth his weight in gold :)

alanfcox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Its good that you are trying to monitor your own results but a pity that your surgery will not give you test strips - sometimes you need to keep raising the question or ask your Patient Participation Group (PPG) to take up your request. Have they given you a reason?
If they don't provide a particular health check that you think is necessary ask and if you are not happy put the problem on the NHS Choices website that relates to your surgery as this is monitored by the CCQ who inspect GP surgeries.

alanfcox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I opt out as I am under the care of the hospital. I don't see the point in wasting an appointment with a GP that someone else can make use of.

If you are Type 1 and all of your checks done at the hospital - then your GP should know this and not send you an appointment. As a matter of interest have you been offered any diabetic education?

alanfcox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The GP practice is allotted X amount of pounds per diabetic patient who has their check up and the boxes are ticked for the funding to be granted. The funding is also granted if a person does not wish to attend and states so in writing (hence the do not wish to attend slip on the letter)

The practice nurse at my surgery is a complete utter waste of space and unable to take a simple blood sample doesn't know what a carbohydrate is and does not want anything to do with them new fangled pump things --------- her words not mine. Personally I object to making a 14 mile round trip wasting my petrol and time seeing someone from the dark ages.

Perhaps you might think about changing your GP practice or putting your thoughts on the NHS Choices surgery review site - if enough people complain the CQC will almost certainly see it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If you are Type 1 and all of your checks done at the hospital - then your GP should know this and not send you an appointment.

It still doesn't stop them sending out a letter :)

amber22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In October went to an NHS podiatrist for a diabetic foot check because my toes were feeling numb.
She didn't have a foot tickler. It had been ordered but not yet arrived.
She said I could have the test next time. I asked when that would be.
She said October 2017.:)
It's okay though. Toes are greatly improved now and other tests were fine. Annual diabetic check at GP surgery is early next year.
If I really wanted a toe tickler test they sell them ticklers on Amazon. The test diagram is on Diabetes UK site.

alanfcox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In October went to an NHS podiatrist for a diabetic foot check because my toes were feeling numb.
She didn't have a foot tickler. It had been ordered but not yet arrived.
She said I could have the test next time. I asked when that would be.
She said October 2017.:)
It's okay though. Toes are greatly improved now and other tests were fine. Annual diabetic check at GP surgery is early next year.
If I really wanted a toe tickler test they sell them ticklers on Amazon. The test diagram is on Diabetes UK site.

Did you tell her that this was not acceptable and very unprofessional - it's your body and sometimes you have to remind people of this. A public review on the NHS Choices website can work wonders.

Reactions: amber22

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Perhaps it might be worth reminding them that they are wasting NHS public money, yours and mine as well - a public review on NHS Choices might change their ways.

It is waste of money, it's only in the last 18 months that the message has finally got through to them, before that I would receive a letter, ring them up to explain and then go through it all again the year after :banghead:

amber22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you tell her that this was not acceptable and very unprofessional - it's your body and sometimes you have to remind people of this. A public review on the NHS Choices website can work wonders.
She handed me the leaflet that said 'Low risk' on the front.
Having just posted here I did think that I should not have taken it and told her 'No, this is unacceptable'.

D

Deleted member 308541

I am very pleased I live in Australia, and do not have to put up with NHS **** like you lot have to.